Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Declan's statement to the media was a lot more reasonable than the statement issued via the County Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

They have to go straight to Jim. If he’s not interested, next stop Malachy O’Rourke.

As far as internal candidates go, I’d give it to McHugh if he wanted to finally manage the county. Not that I necessarily think McHugh is the best internal candidate, but in the same way that if Murphy ever wanted the job I’d give it to him too for what he’s done for the county.

Some kicking from young Cunningham of Killybegs today.

Haven't seen him play, is he decent otherwise?

Yep. McEniff the biggest legend of all.

I'd say some of those MacCumhaills fellas would make a difference to today's team.

Interesting comments on Carney it has to be said. No malice in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

It’s being reported tonight that Jim is ruling himself out of the running for the managers job disappointing but not surprised …he’s holding out for job in the soccer! …Still no mention on who the members of the selection committee are ?

OMCFF out for an extended period with ACL.

Hope I’m wrong but I feel Jim good s wasting his time with the soccer. Coaching a youth team in Derry? Say if Harps ever got rid of Ollie Horgan, would Jim be a candidate? I don’t think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

It is an odd one with Jim alright like I get he's put years into the soccer now and done the badges but Gaelic was his first sport and you think his true passion. I would wonder what the motivation is it behind it is it just a matter of proving to himself he can do it in another sport. Like at this stage odds are against him making it big time in soccer as doc_17 has said. It would be sad that the one real top manager in this county may only ever do 4 years in charge it's just our luck though isn't it. No doubt he will be linked again at some point in the future but hard to see it happening unless he pulls the pin on soccer in the next few years.

Who would be the top choice now then or any names linked?

I guess if he does want to make it as a soccer coach/manager showing his commitment by staying out of intercounty management could help his cause.

That or he doesn't see the same potential with this group of players (and, potentially a stronger Championship) than was the case in 2011. He has pretty much everything to lose and not much more to gain by coming back to DL IMHO. Much as I would like to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

McGuinness obviously the best potential manager out there for Donegal but he’s just not available.

Its going to be the thing forever now that when we are looking for a new manager he’ll be talked about. And for good reason.

I see Cody has swiftly been replaced by KK’s under 20’s manager. We’ve nobody of a similar stature internally unfortunately (outside of maybe Lacey / Rory Kav) so will probably need to go outside

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

While Jim may have ambitions to manage a LOI club I honestly can’t see it happening much like there isn’t many examples I can think of who switch from soccer to Gaa …likewise I would find it baffling if Jim was holding out for the harps job over any senior intercounty job

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ollie Horgan's time might be up shortly so we might find out soon enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I hope Ollie is going nowhere! Harps are having a rotten season, but they basically had to start again this year after losing most of the squad at the end of last season. In the absence of a Finn Harps thread on boards, I want to put on record that I think Ollie performed miracles keeping them in the Premier Division as long as he did.

However, if Ollie were to go, and Jim is still looking for a chance to prove himself as a soccer coach, I hope he takes over and can prove to himself once and for all if he can make the grade. But like most of us, God it would be good if he came back for another go at the Donegal job. Not gonna happen now by the looks of it. I think most of us are stumped as to who is next up though, the silence is worrying given the lack of faith I have in the county board.

I completely agree. The championship next year will be very hard won. Back to the super 8s but with a false QF for those finishing 2nd and 3rd in their groups. Those teams will have a week, I think after that false QF to play a Dublin/Kerry/Galway/Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

Yeah I don't know about this new format. I think it's damaging to the Ulster Championship. If your a team with All Ireland ambitions say Tyrone or us if we were going well and you draw each other or Armagh Monaghan in a preliminary round do you want a series of tough games to win Ulster and then face into 3 more in a group stage followed by 3 / 4 more depending on where you finish. We seen how injuries hit us last time there was super 8s. I would think if you really want to win a title teams may need to prioritise one Championship over the other. The advantage a provincial champion gets in the All Ireland is effectively gone now in comparison to what it was which I don't think is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

There's actually threads in the donegal and soccer forum but between a mod, feeling like I was speaking to myself, the change in boards I've become more of a lurker. By the sounds of ollie end of last season I think he could go, if Jim is ever going to go for a job... was he actually in for Galway last year? with comer backing it was surely more attractive.

Not a fan of the championship format either, going out of the championship early before you got a few games on the trot, now it's much the same qualifiers or not... especially with so many ulster teams in d1/2

Interesting piece by Declan Bogue on McGuinness at the weekend. I can't link to it as behind the paywall but essence was that he will find it very hard to get a good job in soccer because of the pool of former players who are now coaches he will compete against and because at least outside of Ireland the GAA won't mean anything to prospective employers.

All fair comments I would say. Gist was that surely DL job is McGuinness' if he wants it. Now, of course it was reported last week that he had ruled himself out but that piece contained no quotes from the man himself.

Not that Bogue would have any access to McGuinness of course....

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

He'll be struggling to get another job considering how badly the north carolina gig went. You could see him working as a coach but surely Harps would have better options if Horgan went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I'd prefer Ollie Horgan as Donegal manager than Jim as Harps manager to be honest.

For me, in order of preference it would be:

1. Jim McGuinness
    2. Malachy O' Rourke
    3. Michael Murphy (player/manager)
    4. Martin McHugh
    5. Rory Kavanagh
    6. Enda McGinley
    7. Stephen Rochford

• Advertisement

5. Has seemingly ruled himself out.

7. Has said on the record several times that he has no interest in intercounty management again.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilNiall

Some huge refereeing calls over the weekend that basically decided games. Apparently Big Hugh should have been sent off early on and there was something funny about Copper’s equaliser? He scored but was then sent off for something that happened just before he scored? And Jimmy White gave a free in front of the posts (that Langan somehow missed) after A MacCumhaills player was adjudged to have taken a free too short and that was the last kick of the game!

Some result for Glenswilly yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Apparently defences struggle when Michael Murphy stays inside and long ball is kicked into him

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

I'm not sure about joint managers but the best of luck to them if that's the way things pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I wouldn’t object too hard to McHugh taking the role but with Mark and Maxi???

Surely, with his knowledge and contacts he would be able to assemble a decent backroom team.

Mark’s not exactly an example of what we need. A guy who openly admitted in the media that he didn’t train and played anyway, having gotten a pass from the family friend and now Derry manager.

If we were to have ex players in there, probably best to have ones that applied themselves a little more.

Maxi…just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I would have no problem with the Martin McHugh, Mark would be a meh, but I have enough trouble with my blood pressure as is without that little little git Curran. He was an even bigger embarrassment than the present Derry manager with his antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

I know nothing about Curran but he's not very popular apparently. I think Malachy O'Rourke would be a good option...he brought Monaghan from nowhere with a limited pool to fish from.We have to get away from the constant lateral football, mix it up a little with foot passes & we saw how effective the high ball in can be, won the game for us against Cavan & Armagh got 3 goals against Galway with hit & hope. If big Michael was in around the square it would give us the option. It will take a manager with courage to change the system & i'm not sure Martin McHugh is the man to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have nothing much against O`Rourke other than perhaps the 2013 Ulster Final, but if the Wee Man wants the job then for me at least it`s a good enough reason to give it to him. After Michael Murphy I would rate him the greatest footballer to have have worn the county jersey, he knows the players in the county inside out and he would be giving up a lucrative enough media income, so he must see something in this team that has made him go for the job at this stage of his life.

For the two mentioned as backroom, Mark as I said for me would be meh, but Curran would just be a plain no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Can somebody give me any proper reason as to why Martin McHugh should be seriously considered for any county management role other than he was a brilliant player 30 + years ago and had a few years with cavan in the 90's.

Nonsense stuff. Malachy being touted and he's probably the best available manager.

Advertisement