Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This is what I can't fathom. There have been way more significant diversions in Dublin over the years. How long was Dawson Street closed for? Not nearly as many fatwas issued

Yeh, saw that. Would expect nothing more at this stage from our click bait media

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Had the information leaflet arrive in the letterbox today. Spoke with two neighbours, who are going to take the Dart now instead of driving. Both didn't need to drive to work anyway, but chose to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are they stopping the parking on Fairview Strand? That would considerably help things.

Will a left turn from Annesley Avenue onto North Strand be compulsory?

Springgarden street and North William Street are the only feasible 'rat runs' to avoid doing the big loop round Edge's corner (Charleville is one way the 'wrong way' and Bayview is just way too narrow) but with this going on for so long and the schools in North William Street I can see them making that one way too to stop putting children at risk. Springgarden Street is already a pig of a street to get out of onto Ballybough Road. I wouldn't fancy being the person who tries to solve all those pinch points that will appear.

LIDL expected to start building their new shop on Ballybough Road soon too. Jakers it will add to the fun.

I can see the 123 bus having terrible delays with this. I wonder are they going to re-route part of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I am in very regularly during the morning peak and for the last 15 years have wondered why and who the people were going bumper to bumper taking literally 45 minutes to do 1.5km to the city centre? It’s really crazy stuff.

This diversion will cause delays, but merely move them onto a different route which was somewhat quieter before this.

Nobody I know from D5 drives into town at peak hour, you’d be mad to before this and mad to after this.

I’d love to see a congestion charge put in next for the canals to only enter if you are a resident or carrying out a specific duty or public transport. Time for our city centre to be rid of people driving a single person to a parking space in town bypassing all the public and active travel options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭winstonia

Great news this. Close it off for good bar public transport and taxis. They would need to increase the dart to every 10mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

like who are these people? even my anti cycle lane friends I grew up with in D5 are all saying it's crazy etc but none of them ever drive to town. My parents never did. Yet we'll have angry gobshites all over the media saying it's causing mayhem for residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

I find the reporting so frustrating. As I understand it, the reason it will take a year is the water main rehabilitation piece, but gotta rant about cycle lanes....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Many posters here seem to have led very charmed lives. No need for repair men who by their trade have to drive vans not bicycles to access their homes and carry equipment; no dependent relatives with disabilities who need to be transported by car; no jobs as carers with definite hourly commitments to look after the elderly living at home. No. Instead we have to spend 60million euro so some hipsters can get faster into town to sit on closed off streets eating sriracha chicken wings on the pavement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't think you understand, that the capacity to increase the DART frequency further with existing tracks and signals, is nil.

And even if it were, the NTA and Iarnród Éireann take no lead from the City Council as to what services to provide and when.

So you bought the whole line about this just being for a cycle lane then. Maybe read behind the click bait headline

and this is a short stretch, only blocked in one direction, with alternative routes for all the tradesmen that you’re taking about

that’s just as bad an argument as the “but we can’t go into town to buy our washing machines” one

That's just lame and shows you hold people on bikes in contempt. You do realise it's not just cycle lanes going in, other works are making up the bulk of the cost.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I love how you are just massively erasing the fact that cycling into town is by far the cheapest way of commuting.

Also, those journeys are a minority of overall journeys into town by private transport. Also they won't be stopped, they can still do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mrs Shuttleworth's post would be a fair representation of what I have been hearing on the local forums in the last few days.

There is no logic to the posts at all. It is mostly vague all encompassing rage. Definitely not representative of the general population as all seem to be in the 60+ demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That last point is such a stupid take. If they were having pints would it be better? And the few closed off streets in Dublin city centre have been a massive success so far. To be honest it feels like there's a resentment that goes far beyond the private vehicle diversions...

Just shows she's fallen for the culture war the media tries to put out there where anyone on a bike is a posh hipster. My dad cycled through there for decades and luckily lives to tell the tale, as did I. You don't get that many hipsters where I'm from.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You do realise that the thousands of people who use the bus along this route will also benefit from this project through faster journey times as a result of buses and cyclists no longer sharing the same space?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sorry, have cars been banned?

a few hours ago it was 'i can't buy an amp in the city centre'. now it's about disabled and elderly people not able to leave their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Cyclists = hipsters. That's the best one I've ever heard. Ffs. Any infrastructure upgrade to this city is to be welcomed and a step in the right direction to get those who are taking unnecessary journeys away from their cars. Although I certainly disagree with how it's been handled from a communication standpoint.

• Advertisement

Not sure where you'd get sriracha chicken on the North Strand anyway. A spice bag maybe. Or methadone on Amiens St.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm just surprised that nobody has made the claim that the fire engines won't be able to travel towards town so people will die because of these cycle lanes!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Further trolling like this will be actioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I live in Dublin 5. If I need a plumber or electrician I call a local one. Why would I ring a plumber based in Rathgar and ask him to come out to me, when there's plenty between based locally to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭bikeman1

A few salient points for folks in case they have not been properly informed to date:

1. These works are for a cycle Lane as well as very much needed utilities work (water) as well as upgrading the bus corridor. The cycle Lane is needed as the situation up to now has been a death trap waiting to happen on the North Strand.
    2. You can still drive to town.
    3. You can still get the bus to town.
    4. The road closure is inbound ONLY. Outbound the same as always.
    5. The works WILL provide a safe cycling route and faster bus Lane without interference from cyclists.
    6. It is not forever, the inbound lane will be restored as was before these works.

This route has been a mess for as long as I can remember it being. Nothing will change there until people who are making a single person car journey a few kilometres into the centre to park for the day while working and drive back out again stop. There is a 10 minute DART and high frequency bus service along the three arteries (or spines) that feed through Fairview. There is literally no reason anyone needs to drive to the city centre for their jobs.

Trades or repair people etc. naturally are there for work purposes and need their vehicles for their equipment. In my experience most of them are in cc and on site by 07:00 before the bus lanes and are not sitting aimlessly in traffic all morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

From the latest Irish Time article - complains that there's no metro link and demands more public transport options.

With the project scheduled to continue into early 2024, commuters like Carol McCluskey will have to find a new route to work. Ms McCluskey and her partner live in Coolock and commute to the Five Lamps via North Strand Road.

“The closure will impact us massively. We’re moving to Swords in the next couple of weeks, which will probably make it worse because there’s no metro link and only private bus routes,” said Ms McCluskey. “If they want to get people not commuting into town via car, they need to give more public transport options, because what we have right now is not viable.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2022/08/04/north-strand-road-closure-i-havent-gotten-any-flyers-in-the-mail-i-was-not-aware-of-this-at-all/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We are more smashed avocado and arancini on the North Strand.

I wonder how the phy brigade are managing with there being less road to meander across.

I was about to ask where you are getting arancini, but then remembered it's probably Da Mimmos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You realise that driving remains possible? As for hipsters and chicken wings, much rather them than yellow vest early school leavers talking about agenda 51 tbh. At least the hipsters buy things.

• Advertisement

Down the M1, left on Dorset St. and down to the five lamps. Not that hard.

Advertisement