Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It was said a while ago there, Carberry got the backup job for Ireland and nobody that's been given an opportunity has taken it off him. It really is that some. The gap.is massive between Sexton and everybody else.

The guy I'd like to see playing 10 probably will never get the opportunity and that's David Hawkshaw. The few times I've seen him at 10 he's looked great but he's a centre first and he'll never get many opportunities at fly-half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Connacht will probably at the very least have a look at him at 10. They have Aki and Tom Daly for 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We're not going to pull a Ntamack or a Carbonnell out of our holes! The best we can hope for is a competent and functional 10.

The level that Sexton has performed at is way beyond our other 10's. We are probably not going to see the likes of Sexton for a long time. Carberry has only got to be competent! There's enough playmaking players in the squad to shoulder some responsibility.

We are still in a good position. The team looks hungry and united. I think we are deserving of our current ranking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

except they didnt

thats the same tired rubbish that gets thrown at RB again and again. i will grant that he was poor in the h cup final but sexton was starting to make a few mistakes before he came off also

if ye want to do a swap for him and take carbery back id bite your arm off tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think either is the answer, though potentially RB would suit Munster more.

Ross Byrne is a good rugby player, perhaps even very good. He's just not international quality. He's a Stephen Myler.

i dont necessarily think hes the answer either, but i think he gets a massive amount of unfair flak from people who dont really know what theyre talking about.

i stand by what i said about him being the second best 10 available atm though. taking sexton out of the equation for a second, the only real options are the 'starting' (i.e european and big games) 10s for the four provinces and RB is the best of them. carbery is too hot and cold, while his defense seems to have suffered since his last long term injury. burns is fine but he doesnt suit the way ireland are playing currently, the fact that he isnt ulsters goalkicker is hampering him massively too. carty is probably the closest competitor and has been playing well recently but he can be inconsistent unfortunately, plus he also seems to be unfairly blamed for the rwc game against japan, despite playing quite well and hometown ref decisions being much more of a factor than how he played

almost by default ross byrne is the best option. hes consistent, a great goalkicker, good defender, familiar with the leinster/ireland system and while hes not at the level of someone like carbery, his attack game is much better than some commenters believe. hes not a sextons level obviously, but none of the options are anywhere near that so we have to kinda just make do

i cant consider any of the other 10s playing in ireland as realistic options atm as they simply arent playing enough big games at 10 for their provinces. the continued selection of harry byrne in the irish squad is baffling to me when he barely plays for leinster. he and frawley potentially have higher ceilings, but until they overtake RB at leinster i dont personally think they can be genuine options.

for me, i think ben healy (or even jack crowley) should be the 2nd/3rd 10 in the irish squad as he offers the most all round, but the insistence on playing carbery at 10 when hes not injured is hampering his/their development

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

burns is fine but he doesnt suit the way ireland are playing currently

I’d definitely agree that Ross Byrne has received an unfair amount of flak, and I don’t see Ulster every week, but my own impression is that Burns suits Ireland’s current style a lot better than RB, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

It’s interesting someone said it here recently and I agree with it as an ex fullback, a good kicking out half keeps you pushed back downfield and such removes a defender out wide if not the wingers also. If the attacking wingers have any pace they can burn up the ground and a one on one in open field is extremely difficult if not the most difficult situation to defend. They have the whole field to burn you.

An outhalf who doesn’t have a powerful accurate boot, though, and sits in the pocket too much will result in the backfield encroaching and pushing up towards the defensive line to catch the wingers before they get in space. For example if Rob Kearney played outhalf, it would be a nightmare for a fullback as you would be holding back so the kick doesn’t go over your head and into touch. This is made even worse with the 50-22 rule. It also exposes the space behind the centres for a chip through and as we’ve seen with all the great outhalves and centres, a deep lying fullback results in tries from chips midfield.

Thats why I’m not completely against Ross Byrne being a deep lying kicking outhalf. I know from experience it isn’t the full story and can be a nightmare for the back three to defend against. Harry on other hand kicks but he kicks always in the red zone when tries are on if we put it through the hands. Those grubbers in the opposition 22 enrage me as a wide player and they inevitably result in ricochet or giving possession away. Don’t get me started on cross field kicks! They only work when you have Dave playing!

Post edited by Itxa on

• Advertisement

i dont know, i dont see a whole pile of ulster games anymore either (time difference, being a munster fan) so i cant fully agree/disagree, but unless JGP gets dropped for Conney/Doak or Ringrose starts goalkicking for leinster then i dont ever see burns getting in the irish team again tbh. hes not bad at it or anything, but realistically you need to be kicking for your club/province to be kicking internationally. someone like humphreys was pretty poor for ireland when he wasnt ulsters goalkicker

this is boards stop making sense

disagree about cross kicks though, although i feel theyre over-used atm

Goalkicking has nothing to do with our style of play though. Burns is significantly better at running the kind of multi option attack that Ireland are clearly focusing on. RB stands too far back and is too little of a gainline threat himself to commit anyone.

going just purely on style of play then yeah i largely agree

going on overall 'play' then the goalkicking part cant be ignored

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

a good kicking out half keeps you pushed back downfield and such removes a defender out wide if not the wingers also. If the attacking wingers have any pace they can burn up the ground and a one on one in open field is extremely difficult if not the most difficult situation to defend. They have the whole field to burn you.

The problems with this as it pertains to Ross Byrne are that:

1. ”A kicking 10” is not at all how Ireland currently play
    2. The “removed” defender in the backfield can be added back in by the fact RB doesn’t really have a running threat himself, so defenders push off him and line up the midfield.

And that leads to space out wide. The drift can’t make it that quickly across field with a double skip pass. Start the game and set the tone by standing deep in the pocket and kick thereby pushing the back three players back. On the next play or even in two or three plays time when they are deep, spread it wide and fast. There will be space

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But the point is that if Burns starts , who's taking the goal kicks?

Burns is nowhere near 1st choice kicker for Ulster so he couldn't take on the job for the Irish team.

So who gets dropped for who to accommodate a front-line goal kicker when Burns is playing?

A lot of talk about two players who would be stop-gaps at best at international level. I agree with Farrell's decisions to promote Harry Byrne and Frawley instead.

seeing as the other 3 provinces have their 10s as their regular goalkickers the problem remain either way that unless it was an ulster halfback pairing, the goalkicker wouldnt be a regular club goalkicker. having said that, ringrose is a seriously good one from what ive seen

+1. i personally think if ireland can add a little bit more expanded kicking game to the current gameplan then they have almost too many options to defend

and yet neither of them can oust one of these so called 'stop gaps' at provincial level, so what does that say about how good they are?

(theyre both great players, but the idea that they have infinitely more potential than RB is rubbish)

Burns can goalkick though so him. He may drop us a few percentage points on expected value from kicks but that is nor worth entirely changing our attacking platform that has taken a year to develop.

Which is grand in theory, but that's not how Ireland play the game currently. Ross Byrne, as good a player as he is, is simply not capable of being 10 in our system.

• Advertisement

hes not an international standard goalkicker, simple as. whether hes an international standard 10 is debatable

Ross Byrne would most likely be able to adapt his game to fit into the system

Ross Byrne would most likely be able to adapt his game to fit into the system

No he can't. He has tried hard, to his credit, and has attempted to attack the line more. But its simply not really in his skillset.

He is very good at what he does, but it simply does not fit in well with Ireland's current attacking system. He just can not act as a pivot to multiple passing options on the line. He would have done well with Ireland in 2014-15.

i think if that were the case leinster wouldnt have played him at 12 and 13 this year.........

dont get me wrong, hes not the most natural attacker, but i think he could adapt to the irish system if given a few games.

and hes a solid defender, which cant be said of a few of the other options

He’s too unathletic to be international standard. That’s not to say a gameplan can’t be crafted for Leinster to suit him. See previous.

hes two inches taller that sexton and a few kgs heavier

hes an inch taller than his brother and a kg or two heavier

unathletic...........hmm

What does it say? Well, it tells me that the Ireland coach has to select more for athleticism, because the standard of opposition is higher than that faced by the provinces.

These sorts of situations aren't all that uncommon. There was a period of probably some months in 2017 (?) when Porter was getting selected for Ireland ahead of Bent even though the pecking order was reversed for Leinster. Similarly, there was a brief period when James Ryan was behind Ross Molony at Leinster, but ahead of him for Ireland. It's the same story with Baird and Molony at the moment, and possibly with McCarthy and Molony.

i dont really agree with baird being in the squad either tbh

because the standard of opposition is higher than that faced by the provinces. - that doesnt make any sense, if a player is good enough to play international standard then why wouldnt they be picked to play at a (perceived) lower standard?

10 is a position that you need to be playing week in week out. yes harry byrne has been injured alot but even when fit hes barely broken into the squad let alone the team. until he can jump to second in line to JS i personally dont think he should be anywhere near the irish squad. frawley has the ability to play 10 too but the same rule applies to him in my mind, unless hes playing 10 regularly for leinster he shouldnt be in the irish conversation - with the caveat that he can fill in at 10 in an emergency against a weak opposition. even at that it should be a last resort

ireland went to the 2015 rwc and picked a centre/fb as the back up 10, despite having a very good actual 10 in the squad (subsequent wrongdoings aside). that didnt work out very well in the end and while not wholly madigans fault by any means, i do feel that qf result may have been different if jackson had started

"because the standard of opposition is higher than that faced by the provinces. - that doesnt make any sense, if a player is good enough to play international standard then why wouldnt they be picked to play at a (perceived) lower standard?"

Because 'steady Eddies', for want of a better term, are more likely to be good enough at provincial level. Such a player could be ahead because he's a bit older, and there's less incentive to change things up if the coaches feel a Molony or a Ross Byrne could be good enough to get Leinster over the line in the big games. If the level of competition is higher, i.e. international level, then the person charged with selecting the team is more likely to bypass the players who probably won't be good enough and instead select players judged to have a higher ceiling.

I was throwing out a quick description without thinking out the exact words. I should have said more specifically - fast enough. I would add to that ball handling skills under pressure

• Advertisement

thats nonsensical, a coach would never select a team to 'get over the line', in europe anyway (save for the rare occasion where a win etc, would make no difference to standings. or if its a french team coach but theyre a different story). the best players are picked its fairly straightforward

pace i might agree although id argue carbery is the only one that has outright pace. crowley too but hes not part of the conversation yet

dont think i agree about his ball handling skills

Advertisement