Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That's bonkers. Irish Times also has one about a mechanic shop on North strand that will be put out of business because their customers may have a 3 minute diversion if coming from the Northern direction. The hysteria is off the charts and the media love it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Apologies in advance....I feel like I'm in the weather forum asking what the weather be like at 15:01 in next town over.

But what way is traffic moving currently?

I want to get to north circular road via ballybough in the morning around 10 ish coming D5 direction .....if it's carnage I'm not arsed I'll go via ballymun or something.

It's been 3 years since I've driven through Fairview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Divert up Griffith Ave, down Philipsburg Ave, right then stay left and along to NCR at Ballybough. Simple.

If you leave at 09:30 tomorrow you’ll sail it in. It’s very quiet with schools off and on a Friday.

Blue badge holder here.

I don't go into Dublin City Centre anymore. If I have to go to a physical shop, I will go to a retail park. The city centre is just too much hassle and inconvenience.

Public transport that is 25 minutes walk away would be of no use to me, as I do not have the physical ability to walk for 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

My mother is a OAP blue badge holder with a debilitating illness. She wouldn't dream of driving to the city centre nor is she interested in retail parks, she finds it 100% easier to get public transport & if she was to drive she'd avail of the ample blue badge parking and Bus in to An Lár.

• Advertisement

Blue badges are issued for those with mobility issues, not usually for debilitating illnesses. One of the qualifying criteria is difficulty with mobility over 50 meters distance without stopping.

Fair play to your mother if she is still mobile enough to get around on public transport. Maybe she doesn't need a blue badge, after all.

Very good. Nice try questioning her disabilities & needs... stay classy.

She has mobility issues due to her illness. She uses public transport, loves her city, deserves to use & enjoy both public transport & the city.

I’ll leave the other points to posters who’ve explained them well in detail..

..But if the trade in the aforementioned car parks fall off as an unintended consequence? Great! Car parks such as them have held the city to ransom over the past few years for a huge amount of improvement projects. All so they can have access maintained to their extortionate car parks. Good riddance if they suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Leaving the merits of the project aside there are going to be signifcant traffic issues with this diversion. It might not be apparent immediately given school holidays and annual leave season but it will happen eventually as we move into Autumn/Winter when car volumes increase as the weather gets worse.

Firstly while Ballybough Road isn't as busy as North Strand it does carry a significant amount of traffic so pushing all of the North Strand traffic onto it as well will hugely test its capacity.

Secondly Fairview Strand is generally quite clogged in the mornings already without now having to take all of the North Strand traffic. The light sequences at Edges Corner, Philipsburgh Avenue and Richmond Road are going to have to be looked at otherwise traffic is just going to pile back into Fairview and beyond. However I bet no thought has been put into trying to work out sequencing to give more throughput of traffic from Fairview which will be necessary.

Finally for traffic which then wants to get back onto Amiens Street at the Five Lamps there is no right-turn filter (to the best of my knowledge) at the Portland Row junction so the increased amount of cars trying to do that may cause further congestion around there as well.

As a semi-regular bus commuter on this route from the Malahide Road I will be interested to see if bus times into the city do improve as a result of these changes. Personally I don't think they will because there are very few places on the route where traffic interferes that much with the inbound bus lane and the works will do nothing to resolve the outbound issue that happens with the Malahide Road only being one lane outbound until you reach Clonliffe Road.

You were immediately dismissive of mine.

If public transport and getting around this city was as easy and carefree as apparently it is for your elderly mother, then blue badges wouldn't be necessary.

Stay classy yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Big LOLs. As if 'Paschal' gives a f u c k.

If driving a private car around Dublin, or anywhere else, is important to you, you seem to missing an important point.

You are on the wrong side of history.

Private cars (whether ICE or EV) are the past. If you (or anyone else) were designing a city today, you would not build it around private cars. Nor would you upgrade it around cars, like near-sighted planners did 40 or 50 years ago, despite obvious warnings like the 70s oil crisis. Why would you? (That would be just stupid and anachronistic).

Ask yourself how you would design transport today, with all that we now know.

Don't be an ass.

"nice try questioning her disabilities" says the fella that implied exactly the same thing to the post he quoted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If you plot the route on Google maps you will get real time (colour coded) congestion information. It'll colour the roads orange through red to deep red depending on how slowly it's moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Just to add that you need the traffic filter to be on for this to display

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

seems to be on by default for me, if you choose the car as the transport mode, on both android app, and desktop browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This is following the exact same pattern as with every other major infrastructure project in the city:

DART Upgrade - people complained about weekend closures

LUAS construction - people complained (remember Noelle Campbell Sharp?)

Bus lanes introduced - people complained

Unfortunately one cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs. People don’t like change (especially retail businesses, as most are run on tight margins), but then when construction is completed and the project works, suddenly it’s brilliant!

There is always going to be disruption of one form or another if you are making major infrastructure changes, and yes some businesses may be adversely affected, but we have to get this city moving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

"Would you prefer that Dublin has no new infrastructure built? People complain all the time about Irish water and the wastage in the system because of the old network. This project is improving the water infrastructure in this area. It is also improving the bus lane infrastructure. Its not just a cycle lane. What is your alternate proposal?""

Exactly. Look at the Shannon pipeline furore...."omg the Shannon will run dry because of the dreaded Dubs" bullshit or the inability to pedestrianise city centre streets. In my neighbourhood a DCC plan to put in trees on a certain road was stymied by the a few residents since it might interfere with their precious two car driveways. Nimbys are part of the delay in blocking the completion of the Royal Canal Greenway etc etc. Go any sunny day to the Bull Wall bridge and look at the antics of the car zombies trying to get to the very edge of the water. Every school entrance is a racing pit lane twice a day. Walking, not to mention cycling, is for losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

All points are valid. NIMBY is held up as a bad word but let's be honest, things only really matter when they actually affect you or yours.

But you will always inconvenience somebody to make improvements. Personally i just think Dublin city centre is a $hit show on a grand scale planning wise.

We've stadia in there, houses, social housing/tower cesspits and all serviced by broken PT.

We need a relocation of the entire city similar to that Simpsons episode where they move the entire town 200 miles down the road after they thrash it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭winstonia

If they where building houses and needed to do the same with the road you'd still have people moaning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We've stadia in there, houses, social housing/tower cesspits and all serviced by broken PT.

The bus network in Dublin has its problems and particularly suffers on the south side from a lack of dedicated corridors at times, but I would disagree with the premise that it is "broken".

Is there anywhere in Dublin City where public transport is 25 minute walk away? Perhaps the centre of the phoenix park?

I didn't quote you, reference or mention you in any way. My post had nothing to do with you. Stop taking offence, being offensive and misrepresenting me. I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The amount of outraged residents and counsellors in the coming weeks will be a thing to behold. Will the no private cars into town thing be enforced does anyone know? What's to stop people just driving anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The bus network suffers from a lack diverse routes. Most buses just pile into the city centre and finish there. Try getting a bus from Fairview to baggot street. It's about the same time as walking and twice as long as cycling. They've started to improve the routes but for such a small city it shows the poor planning we've seen up to now.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Revised road markings have been laid down on Fairview Strand, and the Luke Kelly bridge. Seems designed to enhance traffic throughput going southbound, but it won't achieve much if people still want to stop their cars at the Chinese takeaway or the pharmacies.

Agree the h spine finishing in Talbot St is a disaster. Should have been extended to Merrion Sq to give some decent connectivity

People will still drive down the bus lane. Just like people drive down the whole bus lane on roads like Con Colbert road when they’re backed up. But once in a while I’d hope there’d be a Garda presence

Edit: I mean when the road is backed up. Not when the people are backed up and maybe dashing for the toilet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If he had put this type of effort into marketing his business he'd be fine

Advertisement