Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

More from my recent Irish Malts order...

Red Earl Irish Whiskey: "ex bourbon-barrelled grain Irish whiskey and ex-sherry triple distilled malt, matured for 45 months and then merged to spend a further minimum period of 4 months in ex-Rioja casks."

A smooth easy drinking whiskey, the Rioja cask influence comes through well. I enojyed the sample, but at an rrp of nearly €40, there are better value options out there. Would make a nice gift for any 'red' relatives you might have though :)

Dunville's 1808 blended Irish whiskey (from Echlinville). So if you wanted to make a blended Irish whiskey that tastes like a smooth Scotch (say Chivas regal or Johnnie Walker Black) this is it. I hope they won't use the 1808 to fool the unsuspecting - but they probably will.

"The 1808 is a blend of grain and two different malts – of which one is peated – and a small proportion of pot still, all combined in an American oak cask."

A nice whiskey, but I can't disagree with the comment in below review:

"It really doesn’t stand out much at that price and if it were a Scottish blend I imagine it wouldn’t get much interest whatsoever."

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flended12

These any good? Got given them as a gift!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Yeah, both nice whiskies! Tried them in a tasting a few months back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Glenmorangie is generally well regarded. They do some great cask finishes.

Lately there’s been a bewildering amount of travel retail releases at different age statements though, I sometimes wonder how they do it.

The Laphroaig 10 is excellent, I would bypass the Select in favour of this every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Might try get a sample to try it

Nervous of buying a bottle incase I bitch out with the peat 🤣🙊

Post edited by DARK-KNIGHT on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are plenty of people on here who would take a donation of a bottle-minus-a-dram of Laphroaig 10 should you have an issue with it!

Two whiskeys last night

Aberlour abunadh: absolutely stunning, sherry bomb

Wd O'Connell bill Phil: peated whiskey and very nice in fairness

It is absolutely lovely

Kicks the crap out of redbreast cask strength imo

Visited Crolly distillery today. Very slick, tours on the hour every hour. Nice bar for tastings at the end.

On sale: Three single malts with different wood finishes (79 euro) and a 10 y.o and 12 y.o. (100 and 120 euro). I’m not going to go into detail on these are I just can’t summon an ounce of interest in sourced whisky “finished and bottled” at the distillery. For me they’re also overpriced, I feel like Sliabh League are doing the same thing at a more realistic price point.

In summary… Nice to visit, looking forward to their own product coming on stream.

• Advertisement

Right folks looking for suggestions for an absolute sherry bomb

Had the pleasure of trying aberlour abunadh and it's stunning

Any other suggestions for a very heavily influenced sherry whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Glenfarclas 105

Had a sample of it at an L Mulligan tasting and immediately thought sherry bomb... dunno how easy it will be to track down a bottle. L Mulligans seems to have shut up shop.

I think all their output is very heavily influenced by sherry, but dunno how it'll compare on quality to Aberlour.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Glenmorangie Lasanta … Glendronach, Maccallan, Glenfarclas…. Take your pick.

The 105 is a good recommendation if cask strength is sought.

—-

Visited the Ardara Distillery today (Sliabh Liag). Very impressive set up and building. Not officially open yet for tours (Next Tuesday) but I tried their new make at 84% and 64%… The latter really singing, I have high hopes.

They are going to continue sourcing from Great Northern for the Silkie brand, but their own Ardara whisky will be “whiskey” in 3 years and to market in 5.

I gather a couple of Red Silkie releases are on the horizon in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Great that you were able to try their new make. Had some of it at their stand at whiskey live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mark1006

Reaching for the Gold Spot far more often than I should as I know I'll never get my hands on another bottle, so I went looking for the Leoville Barton Green Spot. Can't find it anywhere, does anyone know if it's been discontinued? I'd go for the Chateau Montelena one but it has never really done it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

For my money the best Sherry bomb you can buy right now is this

The Teeling Brabazon 2 2017 bottling is THE best but can’t be got - or even the 2018 which is less special

Glenfarclas 105 is quite rough around the edges in my opinion although I have drunk a couple of the one Litre bottles

Aberlour A’bunadh I’ve only had once at a special Christmas deal price of 80 .I was underwhelmed but I guess it half way between 105 and Brabazon 2 in ‘refinement ‘ .You do read of it being very variable by bottling so maybe I got a bad batch

I was disappointed to find my JJ Corry Batallion was a bit TOO much Tequilla influenced ( and ‘grain’y but I guess it’s a grain ) However mixing it with about 10% Teeling Single Malt saved the day and made it drinkable enough

I was also a bit surprised to get a 500ml bottle rather than a 700ml but I guess that’s what happens when you ‘assume’…

That Lough Ree might be lovely but I don’t think it is a sherry bomb in most people’s use of the phrase… The sherry finish is only a final 22 months, after 6 years ex bourbon.

I’ve always heard sherry bomb used in reference to Sherry first fills being used / where a majority of time involved resting in a sherry cask.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Will report back later, bottle en route at the mo with DPD

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Drinking a Teeling Taster Small Batch that I picked up leaving Dublin Airport last January. So much going on in smell and taste. So much so it's overpowering and not keen

NB NB NB Teeling Brabazon 1 not 2 is the Sherry bomb ( the latter is port influenced ) .I was in town during the week and looking forward to a trip to Grafton / Nassau Porterhouse as I’d seen they had a Brab 1 in a couple months ago ( was in city with the kids ) Anyway the place was gutted for renovation :-(But I’d always heard The Palace Bar was legendary for whiskey stock and general ambiance /clientele.I mistakenly bought the bloody Brab 2 (€14) and wasn’t overly keen .I thought it best to get the Brab 1 after (€12) as I don’t get to drink much in the city and it’s rare …It was the 2018 bottling and I was frankly disappointed . The ( Palace) bar itself was a delight . Friendly staff and in the short time I was there someone was being interviewed at the bar for some kind of documentary AND I also heard Leo Enright (irelands best known space -if not science -correspondent for several decades ) elsewhere at the bar . Fab stained glass skylight in ceiling in the snug . Yeah , I know ,in my next report I will be doing a review of little known sports venue ,Croke Park! But it was genuinely my first time there ( and I’m a dubliner!) I’ve never been in Dublin Castle either ( unless you count Whiskey Live )

• Advertisement

Interested to hear if you think it’s a Sherry bomb …

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I agree, The Palace is a great spot, especially for whiskey. Amazing that it's stayed as it is as well, given its location

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Maybe a small grenade. One of the tastiest whiskeys Ive had in a long time though. Really really good.

This may of interest (On “Sherry bombs” as a phrase, and associated whiskies).…

We can shoe-horn the term to apply to many Irish whiskies, but there’s no doubt Scotland provides better examples of the type.

Less than two years of a Sherry finish following several years in ASB does not a “Sherry bomb” make…

Thats not to say there aren’t Irish whiskies where Sherry plays a strong role, or perhaps rare cases where an argument could be made.

Its Ok by the way, that this is the case. We don’t produce any “Peat monsters” either, it’s not disloyal to say we don’t :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A representative of a distillery told a bar full of people that all Irish whiskey is aged in Bourbon barrels!

Perhaps it's true to say "most" but he implied that it has to be.

Need help with a Whiskey. So I did a lot of development work for a private client and it is finishing up. We meet up at the end of the month for the final run through and handover. We had agreed a price and it is all well and good as he is a recurring client (multiple online business' and minted). Usually he gets me a bottle of something kind of pricey at the end but nothing too expensive.

However, he is into his whiskey and wines and told me over the weekend that he has 3 bottles of Hazelburn 21 year old 2022 arriving at the end of the month and he will give me one as a thank you. I'm ok with whiskey and didn't think much of it and said no worries and thanks as never heard of it. So I have been googling and found it https://www.abbeywhisky.com/collections/new-whisky-arrivals/products/hazelburn-21-year-old-2022-release but some of the prices I am finding seem to be going for a greater than €400 and I am kind of like damn!!! He knows we are approx. €10k deep in IVF so maybe it is his roundabout way of helping out without being explicit or maybe he has no clue. I do plan to bring it up with him when we meet next time.

I am kind of like, ok if this is true, we could use the money to help with the IVF, but I have no idea how or where to sell it, commissions etc. Any ideas how I would do this or have I just looked at the wrong websites for pricing (which I am kind of assuming I have)?

I won't believe this until I have it in my hands as if the price increase is as I think it is, he may not know and keep them which is fair also but one can dream!!

If you’re Dublin based-

you can just drop the bottle off if he gives it to you.

I'm in Sweden but return home a few times a year. Laws are quite strict here (the state has a monopoly on off license) so would bring it home and sell from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

something historic from our local museum collection...the liquid inside is likely just water with colour added...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 runningonwhiskey90

Decent offer on Irishmalts at the minute - works on the already discounted bundles as well.

Advertisement