Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massey 5440 vs 5455

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

According to Classic Tractor magazine article posted on the 5610 thread, the 5440 is supposed to be hard on diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

They are all hard on diesel If they are opened up enough and doing alot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yeah I would agree

we had our 5440 chipped to a 5445 and it would be quite but thirstier than the 5712

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Just giving my 2 cents, as we looked at upgrading a few years ago, we looked at a TL100A and a 5440 but decided not to upgrade as it was costing a lot more than we thought.

The JXU is the same as a NH TLA, good machine. As mentioned before in this thread, very little electrics. Just really the power shuttle, splitter and some had the option of the electric clutch on the gear stick. I drove one once on the road with that, very nice feature. If you are doing 200-300 hours a year, feeding/drawing bales, topping, spreading fert, moving cattle and some loader work, then they are ideal for all that. Compared to the MF 5400 series, the TLA/JXU series is less "refined", in that some of the controls (gear stick, lift, spools, hand throttle) are very similar to the Fiat 90 series. Im not saying that its a bad thing either!

The Massey 5400 are more modern machines, with a lot more electrics, especially the later ones. If you are going to spending 300-500+ hours a year on it, it will be a more comfortable machine, especially if you do a lot of loader work. What I really loved about the 5440, was that it was designed for loader work, the "brake to neutral" function, and being able to change gear and direction in multiple places.

IMO, both are great tractors. It really depends on your own needs. If you are doing 500+ hours a year, the JXU will also be fine.

Advertisement