Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

I saw it somewhere that Lille don't announce their departures till the start of the new financial year which is tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Linked with Broja from Chelsea on loan

Had a great start at Southampton last season then pattered out.

TBH id take him if it meant the rest of the budget can go on an attacking winger, our main key is keeping Wilson fit, if we can do that Wood/Broja will be used sparingly

Also...I'v read Chris Wood is on 100K per week. Insane

Over 40,000 people in the queue for pre season friendly tickets this morning **** me lads the sleeping giant is up and roaring. Make no mistake this is why they hate us the sportswashing is a handy excuse they know Newcastle United are coming for the elite and are a real threat to them.

I logged in at 9am chancing to see and they put me in a pre-queue before they went on sale at 10am, I was 2000 and still had to wait until 10:40 to get in

These games will be sold out by the end of the day

The days of 20k capacity and the top bowl closed for friendlies or FA cup 3rd/4th round are over

Wor Flags are even putting a display on for the friendlies, this club isnt just going in the right direction, its sprinting to it!

Both Hendrick and Clark are now gone out on loan to Reading and Sheffield United respectively that leaves just Gayle to ship out now to free up some squad space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Very good business so far, Pope will provide decent competition to Dubravka, Botsman will provide immense competition to whats already a decent centre back pairing of Schar & Burn with Lascelles as back up. Targett was a no brainer especially at the price we got him for.

A perfect summer window would be us getting Isak & possibly Paqueta now. Isak is flexible and can play anywhere over the forward line, hes a top prospect but is going to cost. Paqueta would be ideal in midfield along with Bruno & Juno. A top Brazilian midfield would be the stuff of dreams.

If we manage to get both of those deals over the line, I see us definitely challenging for top 6 next season.

Also, Dan Ashworth, not great so far despite all his acclaim, Hendricks & Clarke out on loan to championship clubs where no doubt we'll be paying a sizable % of their wages. Haayden too. Would've been far better off selling them & getting whatever money we could back. Its not as if they're young unproven talents. I could have carried out those deals myself ffs. A lot more dead wood needs to be moved too.

Pope, Botsmann & Targett were deals we expected to do before he took over. He's added little to nothing so far. Needs to up his game to justify his own wages

Ah come on id cut a bit of slack. We have a blueprint, its obvious to strengthen in positions signing the right people while also falling in FFP

again we are a C class team, and if you want A class players it will be mercenaries, id rather Pope and Botman than the likes of Julio Cesar or Kolo toure lets not got the Everton way as they were 7th without money and still there with it

I do think there is one loan and one massive signing to go and loads of time left to do it.

Im happy enough how its going - again for me a top 6 isn't a priority as we haven't a team good enough to do it, the takeover was 9 months ago, I don't expect us to get Europe for 2/3 seasons, and I'm good with that as it's a tough group to crack

Regarding getting rid of deadwood. our squad before Jan signings bar maybe 4 players is a championship team on PL wages

NOBODY will sign them in PL because they are dirt and NOBODY will sign them in the championship because they are on 30k plus

getting rid of loan and getting maybe 50% back wages is the best we can do.

The key thing was trimming the squad, saving money means nothing. regarding what is left, Gayle will go on loan and maybe we might get a bid for Ritchie or Manquillo

Yeah I think Manquillo and Darlow are about the only 2 we could get any money for we have too many championship lads over 30 on huge wages with year(s) left on contracts loans while paying a % of wages are the only option. We still need 2 more signings IMO a CM and a forward who can play across the front 3. Broja Hudson Odoi Paqueta Fofana Hazard Harrison are all names that should be considered.

• Advertisement

I dont mean to sound overly harsh on him but for all the fanfare and attention surrounding his appointment I'd have expected a bit better so far. I know many of our players arent attractive to championship or newly promoted sides but its much better to sell them with us guaranteed to pay a % of their wages over the next 2/3 years then for them to be going out on loan with us still paying a % of their wages. They're not young players with potential who might benefit the club in the long term. By us loaning them out & also paying a % of their wages, we're not benefitting at all, much better to get 1 or 2m even than nothing at all. Hendricks & Clarke havent been great for us but they're not terrible players, they've international & many years premier league experience. I know if I was a championship manager, I'd be more than happy to take a punt on them for a few million especially if the selling club agreed to pay 40/50% of their wages. Getting in actual fees for these players would help us also when it comes to FFP

As I said in my post, Im happy with some of our business so far especially Botsman & Targett but theres no reason why we couldnt go for Paqueta & Isak. It would make us a real threat, we're not a million miles away from being a top 6 club. No harm in being ambitious. We're well in the green when it comes to FFP currently and would even be more so if we got some fees in like Ashworth should be doing. 100m on Paqueta & Isak wouldnt take us out of the FFP regulations & paqueta has apparently told Lyon he wants to leave so we might get him for an even better price.

Also in relation to mercenaries, cmon, despite all the badge kissing and social media comments, do you not think 90% of professional players these days are mercenaries, sure Ronaldo was happy to go to city or chelsea in recent times until united came in with a huge offer. This is a guy who almost grew up at united. Im not one bit bothered about the loyalties of players, if they're professional enough & ambitious enough, they'll do well anywhere they go. They know by performing week in, week out, they'll improve their contract negotiations, their brand, their social media & so many other things. Loyalty to clubs went out the door in the 90's.

Sure Gerrard would have left Liverpool for Chelsea if him & his family weren't threatened that time. I want quality players who're ambitious, if they're using us a stepping stone, fine, its up to us to show them that we're anything but

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Maybe the Paqueta move might have been worth following up but I think the midfield is looking fairly good as it is, so not too worried about recruitment there. I have not seen Isak play but saw a comment elsewhere that while he looks a good player he is not 75million worth of good player and that is what the release clause on his contract is said to be set at. Just looking at his Wikipedia page he only got 6 goals in 32 league appearances for Real Sociadad in the 21-22 season which was a decline on the previous season and is not great for a centre forward so avoiding paying out 75million for him might be better business in the longer term.

Targett, Botman and Pope add up to 57million in transfer fees after a big enough outlay in January and I'd be happy enough with just one more signing of an attacking player to generate some more competition for places in that part of the pitch. Cornet from Burnley is said to have a 17.5mill release clause in his contract and Watford are said to be looking for about 20million for Dennis and both these young players have shown they can score in the Premier league and could be better options to Isak.

Getting to top six in two transfer windows sounds like expecting a bit too much too quickly to me.

I agree on signings and as I said before I do think we have one more in us which will be the "attacking statement" we need to make.

Regarding selling.. we can't sell is the problem, these lads aren't going to take a paycut why would they, they know the Newcastle contract will be the last big one of there career. Gayle and Clarke are 33 in a couple of months, a championship squad isnt going to pay their wages.

a quick google search says Hendrick - 52k, Gayle 37k, Clarke 32k

Better off just terminating their contract (but again, the players won't agree)

Eddie Howe said yesterday that there probably won't be another striker signed and that he's happy to go with Wilson Wood and Joelinton if necessary I personally think that's a mistake given Wilson's terrible injury record in his last 7 seasons his average games played is 24.

The other side of it means that the 40 million or so left in the budget will be spent on a right winger which means we should get a quality addition down that side and IMO that will free up ASM so much more he gets double and triple teamed in almost every game teams won't be able to do that if we've got a quality RW as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

agreed, no faith in woods. Wilson is quality but likely to be injured.

on the rw is Harrison at leeds that threat? his name seems to be doing the rounds

• Advertisement

I agree, Ideally a striker on loan and blow the budget on a winger. We do need somewhat of cover for Wilson, id rather not have Joelinton near the front line, as good as he is now he still can't kick snow off a rope up top.

in other news we finally have a CEO ( announced last week) -

Darren Eales joins from US Major League Soccer (MLS) club Atlanta United, where he has been President and Chief Executive since the team was founded in 2014. Over that time, he has built a franchise that has secured the highest average attendance in MLS, created the most valuable squad, generated the largest profits - and won multiple trophies, including the MLS Cup in 2018, the US Open Cup in 2019 and the Campeones Cup in 2019.

Yeah an interesting CEO appointment he was at Spurs as well when they signed Bale and Modric and the likes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Dwight Gayle on his way to Stoke on a free transfer all the best to him he was crucial in our promotion season.

He is a fantastic championship striker, a "go-to" if you want a chance at promotion. I hope he has a couple good seasons in him as he deserves game time.

Space is getting cleared up now, others that could possibly go in the coming weeks:

Fernandez, Manquillo, Ritchie, Matty Longstaff

As a matter of interest, who do people think will be our starting centre back pairing this season. Howe showed with Bruno G that he was willing to take his time in bedding him in, on the other hand he's had nearly a full pre season to work with Botsman. Would be harsh on Burn or Schar to leave them out but if I had to choose it would probably be Burn as I believe he's a left sided defender like Botsman. In saying that Burn, was immense for us last season & is a proper geordie who'll leave everything on the pitch. I know he can play left back also but I doubt he'll start ahead of Targett. Schar on the other hand then seems to be more of a ball player like Botsman. Great to have the choice but this will have to be carefully managed as the last thing that needs to happen is for the dressing room atmosphere to be affected. Thats even before we get to Lascalles and him remaining Captain.

• Advertisement

I think it'll be Botman and Schar they've wanted Botman for ages and clearly see him as the mainstay of our defence it is harsh on Burn who has been excellent but we need solid squad options and I think Burn was bought to be one of them. Now I do take your point about how Bruno was phased in but I think that was a combination of a January signing and not wanting to change a winning team too quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Very strange you lads haven't signed a CF

Seemed at the end of last season that with a proper striker you'd be a real threat to teams ,

Is there anyone in the pipeline ,

Theres a few, Etike (who went to PSG), Isak & no. of others but we havent been willing to pay a Saudi price. We definitely should have one by the close of the transfer window. Wilson will be fine for the first few games, I think he could come into his own this season but as the season drags on, we dont want to be relying on Wood as no doubt Wilson will get injured at some stage.

"A lot of work has gone into it, but it is hopefully going to be worth it because, as you say, the next move is probably one of the most important I will make."

I wonder does this mean we have an important target in mind or is that we are willing to break the bank for our RW? Or is it just that our nest move is vitally important for the team? Howe seems confident of 2 more additions which is positive.

Christian Falk a reputable German Journalist is reporting we are interested in Timo Werner. I personally think that would be a great signing with him on one side and ASM on the other we'd be electric. I think we should throw the kitchen sink at signing him we need a statement signing and IMO he would be one.

Would be a fantastic signing, I think theres still a serious player in there. Only thing is, I doubt he'd come to us & he'd probably smash our wage structure too which the club seem to want to keep in line as much as possible.

Benfica tonight at 8pm on premier sports, will be watching this. With the new season close to starting, I think Howe will be playing the team he expects to start in the opening game against Forest. Interested to see how we'll get on actually against quality opposition.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Nice equaliser! Lovin’ me some pre-season Miggy! 😍

CMON Newcastle, no one is laughing anymore, roll on forest

The result isn't really important in pre season but we went toe to toe with a champions league level team last night and looked the part.

Howe needs to have a word with Joelinton aggression in CM is brilliant but it needs to be controlled he flew into some stupid tackles last night refs will be all over him. Almiron has stepped up big time looks like a player fighting for his future Trippier is just class a step above Botman looks very assured and has to start with Schar IMO. I hope Shelveys injury isn't too serious as he looked good last night again. Wood isn't up to it i'm afraid we need a better back up to Wilson. A special mention for young Bondswell who slotted in nicely at LB last night looked solid.

• Advertisement

Yah, not overly bothered about the result, the fact they only won it in the last few mins speaks volumes in terms of how we've progressed.

Rumours around that we're in for Harvey Barnes, would much prefer Paqueta but no two ways about it, we need at least two more signings before the close of the window. Even just a proper striker who could provide competition to Wilson, Woods is so far off the pace, it beggars belief.

Howe is no doubt concerned if we sign too many top quality players, the pressure is really on him then. No more excuses. I understand the new owners point of view in taking it slow but I fully believe a proper striker & midfielder or attacking midfielder would make us seriously competitive & the pressure would be on to finish top 7 or 8 at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

woods is so worrying to see chances wasted so badly. really can't understand why he was brought in

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Anyone else having problems watching this on NUTV? Picture jumping all over the place 😵‍💫

Edit: Picture is fine now but the sound is all but gone! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Was a very weird one alright... like, all the talk was about getting a striker that also weakened the opposition - but he'd been having such a woeful season for Burnley, and already looked like he'd dropped down a level. One to get rid of and upgrade upon asap really... though his wages will be tricky for any clubs at his current level to take on. Maybe a loan back to Burnley in the champ, going halves on his wages or something? There's still time to find a much better player in the market anyway (like Cornet from the same club)... feels like sticking with him as the main backup to the often-injured Wilson would be a mistake.

Very please with both friendly performances at the weekend we look like we are ready and raring to go for the season.

I'd be absolutely delighted if we got Maddison in the door it'd be a real statement signing. I still think we need one in before the Forest game hopefully Cornet as he can play anywhere across the front 3.

Went over to the 2 games, couple of things noticed:

• Wood is bad, cannot get the ball to stick at all, which is basically what he is designed for
    • Wrap Wilson in cotton wool
    • First time seeing bruno, wow! so simple and wanted the ball wherever on the pitch he was
    • Anderson, there is something there, he will defo get some game time this season
    • Botman is calm, never panicked and can pass, him and schar need to start

Maddison is an interesting one, I would have thought a back up to Wilson would be more of a priority though. He'll cost 60m minimum, hopefully its some sort of negotiating strategy going in at 40m. His best role in my opinion is behind the striker or a central attacking midfielder. We usually play a 4-3-3. Playing on the right, id like to see how he'd get on.

Only one cap for England despite his undoubted talent is a worry though, maybe Southgate sees him as a possible disruptive influence.

No top 4 or even top 6 have come in for him at all which is another concern despite him being an English talent and we know how they're coveted.

On his day, top quality but I hope we don't jeopardize the strong dressing we have for some sort of big time charlie. His stats were strong last season when he played. Id rather have him than not, but if its a choice between him & a strong back up to Wilson who'll provide real competition, id take the latter.

Looks like Maddison is going to be out of reach now. We seriously need to tighten up on media leaks about our transfer targets it turns everything into a saga. They need to knuckle down now and get 2 attacking players in before the end of the window because if we do that we'll be right up there challenging for top 8 even top 6 IMO.

Cornet off to West Ham amazing how they can get business done quickly while we flounder all over the place trying to sign attackers we did a better job in January without a DOF. Those in recruitment need to get their act together stupid cheap bids for Maddison that haven't a hope of being accepted pure MA tactics that.

I know we've come an awful long way in the last few months but we've needed these attacking players all summer and we're nowhere closer to signing one than we were 2 months ago! that's not good enough.

Post edited by Fattybojangles on

• Advertisement

Yah id agree with the posts above, low bids, leaking transfer news to placate the fans smacks of the Mike Ashley era.

Luis Diaz for example, spurs faffing about, Liverpool come in & get it done almost immediately when no one even knew they were interested in him. Thats how we need to be.

40m is never going to get Maddison, 60m minimum especially seeing as how Rodgers sees him as a major part of his plans.

I have to say, when you see PSG, Barcelona & City pretty much buying who they want paying little regard to FFP & finding a million ways around it, it does tend to frustrate me a good bit when our owners keep talking about FFP as a reason why we cant spend too much. Our owners wealth dwarfs theirs but yet we cant seem to spend the money necessary to make us truly competitive. Where are the accountants & legal minds to get around this, its not like we cant afford them.

I understand they want to build a long term project & do things the right way but the lack of transfer business this summer has been disappointing to say the least. A few decent signings would have us right up there. Whether the lack of business remains down to the naivety of the people running the club or the Saudis having a lack of interest remains up for debate. We've got used to middle eastern owners splashing the cash but maybe our owners arent like that, as they say, the more money people have sometimes, the greedier they get & there's a lot of money to be made at a PL club these by keeping them in the PL without really competing with the big boys. We saw this with Ashley but I'm not saying for a second they're like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Luis Diaz for example, spurs faffing about, Liverpool come in & get it done almost immediately when no one even knew they were interested in him. Thats how we need to be.

The media were happy to portray Tottenham as having messed up but the truth was that Liverpool had previous interest in the player. There was an approach for Diaz in the summer of 2021 but Porto saw him as a £50-60M player at the time. Tottenham did a great job when they negotiated a price of £37.5M in January. That fee was in the region of what Liverpool had valued the player and the player's agent made the club aware that the bid had been accepted. Porto tried to engage in some shenanigans to get an increase in the transfer fee and Tottenham were willing to pay more but the payment would have to have been structured to their liking. Diaz made it clear to Porto that Liverpool were the only option for him and that sealed the transfer. But for the fact that Liverpool had expressed an interest in signing Diaz last summer, he would more than likely have instead become a Tottenham player in January.

Post edited by Talisman on

My bad confusing the two Portuguese clubs. 🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Our lack of investment in a couple of top attacking players is concerning.

Defensively we look fairly solid which should be enough to at least not have to worry about a relegation battle. But i'd be very surprised if our form from the 2nd half of last season continues into this season.

Going forward we really are a bottom half team. A side from Wilson & Saint Max (who is inconsistent to say the least ) we really have very few quality options.

I really didn't think we'd be going into the start of this season having to rely on the likes of Almiron and Fraser as part of our starting XI.

I dread to think what shape we'll be in if we suffer injuries to Wilson & Saint Max.

Agreed we are desperately short in attack Howe talking up Anderson as a solution as well is concerning kid is talented but very very raw. I get the feeling Howe has been told there's no one else coming.

• Advertisement

Some fair points but what Im talking about is that you rarely hear of Liverpools interest in a player before they sign. It doesnt end up being a protracted saga where the chances of missing out on the player increase tenfold. They conduct their business quietly & efficiently when the time comes. Rarely any leaks etc.

Yeah we need to tighten up on leaks big time. I see Eddie Howe has signed a long term contract great to have that stability going forward.

How long do you know? My understanding was that his current deal expired in the summer of 2024, 2 years from now which would have been a perfect time to assess his performance. Overall, I think he's done a good job so far but I dont see the need to be giving him a long term contract at this stage. He was exposed tactically against City, Pool & Spurs last season, 5-0, 1-0(but they completely dominated us at St.James) & 5-1 respectively. I know they have better teams but we were humiliated against them, In two years time, I hope we're knocking on the door to the top 4 & genuinely competing with those clubs. Is he the man to do that? too early at this stage to say

Theres a big difference between taking a club to mid table in comparison to the top 4. Nothing in his previous experience would suggest that he's capable of doing that. The top 4 probably consist of the top 6 managers in the world currently.

Again, its a sign of the new owners lack of ambition or naivety & now with the news today we have only another 40m to spend in this transfer window (interview with Howe) because of FFP, I dont know what they're playing at. Acting like bloody paupers when you take into account their wealth & how easily the other rich clubs are circumventing FFP. FFP strikes me as a convenient excuse.

Rodgers was notorious for briefing members of the press during his time at Liverpool. After he left, the press leaks almost disappeared, any stories that do leak primarily come from the selling club trying to get other clubs interested.

The club learned a hard lesson with the Virgil van Dijk transfer in the summer of 2017. Steven Gerrard was the Liverpool Under-18 manager at the time and in an conversation with a reporter he said that the deal was complete, mentioned the fee Liverpool were paying, and elements of conversations Liverpool players and the manager had with Van Dijk that influenced his decision to choose to join Liverpool over Chelsea or Man City. The story made the national media and the Southampton owners went ballistic because the structure of the deal hadn't been agreed and they felt that Liverpool were using the media to railroad them into an agreement. The Liverpool owner, John Henry, wasn't happy either that a member of the club's staff had spoken publicly about the transfer before it was completed, particularly because it had eroded the healthy relationship that had been established between the clubs in recent years. Behind the scenes the transfer was agreed and Liverpool paid an additional £9M on the fee.

In Klopp's time, the transfer dramas have mostly involved German players dragging their heels or agents looking for more money. There is generally an alternative option in place and the club immediately moves on if there is any sign of shenanigans taking place.

2016 : Mario Gotze went to Dortmund after a prolonged period of flirting with Klopp. Liverpool signed Wijnaldum from Newcastle.

2017 : Julian Brandt decided he wanted to stay in Germany to get in the national team for the World Cup. Julian Draxler agreed terms on a contract and then decided he wanted more money. Liverpool moved on to the next option, Mo Salah.

2017 : Leicester quoted a fee of over £25M for 19 year old Ben Chilwell. Liverpool signed Andy Robertson for £8M.

2018 : After months of courting Klopp and Liverpool, Leon Goretzka chose to go to Bayern Munich. Liverpool moved immediately to sign Fabinho and the deal was announced the day after the Champions League Final.

2018 : Liverpool agreed a £53M deal with Olympique Lyon for Nabil Fekir. Personal terms were agreed and the promotional photos had been taken when the player's brother declared himself his new agent and demanded that the contract be renegotiated. Liverpool killed the deal immediately and signed Xherdan Shaqiri from Stoke for £13M.

2020 : Liverpool offered Norwich £15M for Jamal Lewis and were told that they would need to pay £30M+. Days later, Liverpool signed Konstantinos Tsimikas for £12M.

2022 : Aurelien Tchouameni agreed terms with Liverpool before deciding to join Real Madrid. Liverpool are now reportedly working on a deal to secure the signing of Jude Bellingham for next year.

It took 5 years under Liverpool's new owners to establish the efficient no-nonsense approach to transfers. It looks seamless but there is a lot of work behind the scenes and the media are left spinning speculation stories for the most part. Newcastle are likely to go through a similar development phase under the new ownership, but the fact that the club is backed by Saudi money means that there is always likely to be some drama with clubs or agents try to squeeze more money out of any transfer deal.

No botsman, why was he starting him in all the pre season matches with burn on the bench? Hope Burn is fit enough & not lacking in match sharpness

• Advertisement
Advertisement