Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What extras are in my ESB meter box

Options
  • 27-07-2022 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

What are these additional items in the pic below?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Esbn main cutout

esbn dual tariff meter

esbn clock to switch between tariffs

3pole isolator

Cables

esbn main feed

main cable to distribution board

extra cable disconnected (for unknown use)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

Very thorough, thanks for that, when we eventually get a smart meter what will it replace?

Also re the 3pole isolator, is turning this off the same as turning off the main fuse inside the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harvester0sorrow

Yes the isolator turns off the power to the house it breaks the phase conductor ,when the smart meter is fitted, the meter will be replaced and the time clock removed as the smart meter has the function of a timeclock built in.

To be pedantic,It’s a 3 pole isolator so it breaks the live,neutral and earth conductors. It should be sealed on the customer side by the original rec.turning this off isolates power on cables feeding the distribution board so everything is off whereas turning off at distribution board does mean there’ll be live connections inside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

Thanks, question out of curiosity, if the connection from the meter goes directly to the distribution board and the main board is switched off, how can there still be live connections still inside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Because there will still be live cables coming into the main breaker on the distribution board, but it is only the remainder of the board is dead from the main breaker being opened.

I have never seen a 3 pole isolator in a meter cabinet before. is that a new thing? Or is it only used in certain situations?

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

The isolator is a requirement for a long time now. At least the last 15 years and possibly longer

Oh right. I have never seen one before.

I assume electricians switch off the supply there and it is then safe to work on the consumer unit.

How did they manage beforehand to work on a consumer unit if there was no isolator? did they take out them main fuse on the incoming cable before the meter?

It’s not permitted to break the seal on the esbn cutout.

So what is its purpose then?

Is it permitted to use it to cut the power in an emergency situation? Like, if an electrical fire was imminent?

Is a REC permitted to use it?

If it is just for ESBN use then what purpose would it servce since they can cut the power by pulling the main fuse on the incoming phase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ah here meercat, it breaks line and neutral never main protective conductor

Appreciate that's an oversight probably on your part

Post edited by kirk. on

So its a 2 pole isolator then?

Ya line and neutral

Same as main isolation on new boards which is DP

The way it should be

The british system of fused cutout and meter is better

Isolators and main protective devices is overkill

Always been my opinion

I don't see the purpose of the isolator if even a REC is not allowed to use it to de-energise the board so they can work on it without having to deal with live tails. Sure then it is just business as usual for them with no benefit.

And I don't see what use it is to the ESB. If they wanted to cut the power, they could just pull the fuse and it would do the same thing.

And the more contact breakers you have, the more potential there is for faults and points for overheating fires to begin.

The isolator came in around 2000

Esbn were having to callout twice for a new connection

Once to fit the fused cutout and meter and then back again to connect the tails

Then they were switching off at the main switchfuse to isolate the new connection which wasn't a great setup

Then there was the problems with neozed switchfuses and replacement, that was a disaster trying to replace then with the shock hazard and the risk of blowing the cutout fuse

Still probably makes no sense to me anyway

The isolator I could possibly understand for an external cabinet but the main protective device is stupid

The metering and main board should be together , if not tails should be rated for the cutout fuse

Well I have looked in several cabinets for houses built much more recent than 2000 and I have yet to see one of these isolators.

My own house was built 2011 and hasn't one. the previous house i lived in was 2006 and hasn't one. My sister built a house in 2009 and it hasn't one.

Dunno I was connecting new domestic installations up to around 2012

There was a meter with an isolator inbuilt for a while .That came in before the separate isolator as far as i recall

As far as I recall the historical sequence was as follows

1. Fused cutout and meter direct connection by ESBN up to around 2000

2. Contractor connection to ESBN meter isolator

3. Separate isolator connection for tails

4. Main overcurrent protective device for tails in addition to isolator

Then all the crap came in about car charging.I know nothing about car chargers except the cabinets are not suitable for equipment except ESBN

I just looked at mine there so I was wrong it's only switching the live pole so single pole isolation

Maybe the newer ones are double pole switching not sure haven't seen any recently

Think ESBN are not in the habit of switching neutrals for isolation or turning off power so theyre probably just single pole

The house is different you want to be double pole isolating at the main board and appliances

• Advertisement

Think they're just termed single pole isolators if they're only switching one pole and you wouldn't call them 3 pole isolators?

Advertisement