Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey aka Predator 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah the guy has the tech to come to Earth from another planet but not to blow away a bunch of 18th century Red Indians (if the new one follows the pattern)...

I know

If there's one thing I demand from films about technologically advanced aliens arriving on earth to hunt humans for sport, it's historical accuracy

but doesn't there have to be an internal logic...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I felt like the the movies always had an internal logic albeit one that seems at odds with their titles. "Noble Competitive Killer from Outer Space" doesn't quite have the same ring to it as Predator/Prey though.

Anyway, Happy Prey Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's out! It's good! Just fresh from finishing and the end is done well so I might be skewed.

Currently placing it top three along with Predator and Predators.

They built up the world, the characters, what was going on and the Predator storyline just fine. Then..

The end battle.. they had built up all the learning and tools and understanding proper in the story for the final fight.

Had to feel for the brother Taabe. He took the Predator's spear (spear probably the wrong name) off the battlefield and skewered the fucker with it.

Speaking of which.. this Predator took some serious licks. The wolf early on got in a solid bite on the leg. The blood in the wolf tooth was a woah moment.

Right at the end, I was like.. I'm gonna need to listen to the Predator end music.. for the vibe

Alan Silvestri - Predator Soundtrack - End Credits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcsQ-cnIm5Q

but then they had their own end music and it worked!

Sarah Schachner - The Hunter

The end credits has an animated storyline. It ends at the mid-credits point. The ending of that animation has a tease.

The Predators ship returning to collect the body I assume. Maybe also might make contact with the tribe. Has me remembering my earlier post about wondering if she'd be taken in to join the Predators like I'd vaguely remembered seeing in some comic years ago.

If anything was a let down for this film, I'd say it was probably the crap that the studio execs knew would be thrown at it..

and so I'm guessing they cut the budget to the bone.

I could see where they had put a lot of effort into the computer generated animals but still probably couldn't afford to put enough money towards them.

They could definitely do them though and I feel they picked the right ones to put the big money into and dedicated plenty to the final fight/hunt/killing the Predator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I've only seen the first Predator (with Arnie). Was going to watch this and give the others a miss.

Would I be missing anything i.e. could it be a stand-alone movie, not having watched the ones that came beforehand.

• Advertisement

Yeah should be fine. It has the feel of a standalone and like it doesn't need any of the others.

Having seen Predator helps since this doesn't slow down to explain the Predator to the audience all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

This was very enjoyable. I would put it alongside the second one which I always liked. The slow burn aspect of it worked; building the world, main character sensing something is off etc., and the story being more simple and lean really helped. There were also some good horror aspects, but I think it was let down by over reliance on splatter type CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Wow, that's all good news. Thanks for the reviews. Something to watch this evening

Edit: Yeah, I do miss old-fashioned squibs....There is something...... visceral about them (And yes, I do realise that makes me sound like a psycho 😀) Robocop was on last night so maybe that's why I'm all nostalgic.

it's not bad.

setting and cinematography is decent.

actors are grand.

the teenage protagonist is literally the most incredulously smart and perceptive teenager ever seen in a film though...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Was there any significance to the name on the gun at the end. It was Raphael something. I couldn't make out the surname

• Advertisement

It has the same name as the one at the end of Predator 2 and ties to the character below from a comic book story, I hope there's not going to be some shoe horning to tie both together.

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Raphael_Adolini

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

her 'Travelling theme music' sounded a lot like the last of Mohicans traveling theme music.

Post edited by pjcb on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I think I liked it more than you, but not as much as I'd hoped given the hype (mostly in this thread!)

It is it really well shot and, something I think is rare these days, brilliantly lit. Even the nighttime scenes are clear

I don't know how to do spoiler tags on my phone, so I won't add anymore. Overall a very solid 7/10 for me I think

I thought the exact same thing. I rewatched LOTM only a few weeks ago so it was still fresh in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Pleasant surprise and much better than the last one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A rock solid action film. I don’t think it does anything particularly amazing, and (sorry!) I still don’t think the Predator is a particularly interesting creature. But as a pared-down, back to basics action film it does its job admirably. Trachtenberg is proving himself a dab hand at these simple but compelling genre exercises.

Amber Midthunder is an excellent lead, though: absolutely convincing in the role. So much of the film is given over to her character practicing, failing, learning, observing, narrowly escaping… so when everything finally comes together and she really becomes the furious, determined hunter it comes across as very well earned indeed.

I dunno, I stopped after about 30 mins. I kinda wish they'd gone full in with Native American dialogue and subtitles. A missed opportunity I think. It's been done before and worked well.

Did anybody else find it odd that the French languages were not translated?

I think this would have worked as a non Predator film, something like a Wendigo or some Native American mythic creature (obviously just dial back the hunter/prey theme a bit).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s a Comanche dub of the film if the English is a dealbreaker. Not the most dialogue heavy film in general (and a good chunk of it is non-subtitled French anyway) so a dub, while never ideal, wouldn’t be too distracting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Quite enjoyable the movie and liked the nod to predator 2. Laser sights got upgraded after this 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Not great, not terrible.

Would have been improved immensely if the whole thing had been actually shot in the Comanche language, but the English yap didn't interfere too much. There's a Comanche overdub, but it's not very comfortable to watch as it's clearly not the actors voices. The lead is decent enough, but there's a bit of Hollywood "strong female character" nonsense going on here and there, but it isn't as tiresome as it is elsewhere and, over all, it comes off as OK?

Predator, like Alien, Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park, is just one of those IPs that really needs to be buried. Its had its time and that time was well and truly over long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Was excited for this movie..some early reviews seemed to say it was the best since the original...

Not sure what version they watched. Didnt like the Predators look in either cloaked or non cloaked..the helmet looked terrible and the Predators clicks and vocalisations were over done.

I liked the idea and setting but its not better than Predator 2 which is one of the better sequels to a movie and Id put it behind Predators. 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭thefa

I think what is noticeable with the English is the accent is just a generic American accent so it seems a bit odd.

I was thinking theres an element of strong female character there but was pretty well developed. Starts off weak and learns from mistakes. Anybody of that size, male or female, taking on the predator in close quarters means you have to park your reasonableness for the sake of the action.

Theres only two characters developed in any meaningful way with the rest being canon fodder.

Not a classic but an easy watch.

Turned it off after 10mins. Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I did initially but I assume that was deliberate so that we were disorientated by it, the same way she was

Plus I think the colonists angle is what they were aiming for. Eg she understands neither the predators or the French. And their brutality tended to be more barbarous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I'd recommend watching Surviving The Game instead where Ice T is the Prey and is being hunted by Gary Busey, Ruger Hauer and F Murray Abraham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

How the fuck would you know? 🙄

At the 10 minute mark, we've seen the main character pick flowers, try to catch a deer, talk to her brother and crush herbs with her ma.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement