Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 Irish EV Sales

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The stats show Petrol is out-selling diesel, if you include non-plug in hybrids the market is clearly choosing to move away from diesel, by significantly favour diesel I think you mean are moving away from diesel quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

This would always have been the case if the ridiculous 'green' vrt and motor tax rates weren't introduced in 2008 resulting in urban drivers of small cars opting for diesel because of the incentivised tax rates. This is exactly the same response now with BEVs due to to very significant tax incentives in place. People are rational and follow the money with the environment taking a distant second place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed and you can't blame the people for doing what seems to them as the best financial option. Because of the chape tax, Ireland had the highest percentage of diesel passenger cars in the world. Future generations will be shocked and ashamed when they find out about this. And incredulous that the initiative to do this came from the so called green party, while we all knew diesel caused cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bioscaller

Commenting on troll comments from Toyota fans boys is a waste of time. They make good vans that use the same engine and gearbox tech like they use in any other of their cars. Couldn't be more contradicting isn't it? Its a decent brand for sure. I have owned many different brands and you always have had people like him calling stuff dull so there is that. Just noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They make good vans? Do they work for PSA now?

Their new supra is bought in from BMW, the new vans are bought in from Citroen. The only good thing they make now are the landcruisers. I also like the highlander. But these aren't EVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

I don’t believe for a minute that anyone is buying the diesel Tucson, Sportage or 3008 because they are rural dwellers with massive commutes. They are, almost without exception, bought by people living in towns and cities who have two children and believe they need an “SUV” because of safety, height/visibility or some other fairly spurious reason.

Also I suspect that most EVs now have many multiples of the daily range needed for most rural people. But people spending a lot of money buying a new car don’t want to gamble with something they’re not familiar with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

People buy diesels because that's what they are used to using for their needs.

So someone bought IX35s or previous model Tucsons in the past as diesels.

They walk into Hyundai dealer - look at 2022 Tucson and see theres diesel and thus decide to buy the diesel.

They know that diesels can work in their situation.

Even Hybrids are a stretch for many of them as they assume the hybrid will horse through the fuel on motorway runs.

Media coverage of EVs doesn't really help because if I know nothing about EVs then all id be hearing is that EVs are a problem.

And im not going to buy something i think is a problem.

Which ironically is part of why i drive an EV - i wasn't keen on reading of various issues on ICE cars i was interested in.

• Advertisement

Agreed up there. I'll go a step further. The overwhelming majority buying PHEV do so as they think electric is the way forward but they are too afraid of pure electric yet, maybe next time. People are simply ignorant and can't really be blamed all that much as the media coverage is poor and Joe the loudmouth in the pub says diesel is still the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Agreed, and I am not sold that if PHEV is your first step towards EV that the experience will be a good one for you and encourage you to ll EV the next time...

The range will be poor, the charge time will be very long and you will be the pariah at the EV charging stations...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭crisco10

This is a good point. I've already heard people complaining that EV's are a pain, they've to be plugged in most nights and take hours to charge but only give you 60km range etc. They of course mean PHEV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

I'd venture it's not even that. It's that they've been sold it in terms of running costs and the outrageous MPG claimed by PHEVs. They get to plug it in, they get to loudly proclaim that they hardly ever hear the engine kick in (lies), and sure don't they get "the best of both worlds".

But that's true in many cases. Supporters of EVs strongly advise people to buy low range leafs, many with little more than 60km range, as they argue for most drivers this would cover the vast majority of their journeys. If the argument is valid for low range BEVs, then it reasonable to assume its also valid for PHEVS.

I was tempted to buy one a couple of years back to replace a diesel 7 seater which did a lot of short journeys but also a reasonable number of longer journeys, e.g. A 350km each way journey 6 to 8 times a year. In the end I couldnt justify the price so just bought another used diesel which will last me 5 to 6 years. Hopefully by then the BEV supply and affordability issues will have improved

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Unfortunately we still live with the live myth that batteries need to be replaced after 5 years and that immediately puts folk off

I think you should stop making sense, it goes against the narrative of this forum, speaking of valid arguments, another few would be, the cost of PHEVs, comparing diesel to the PHEV, then you cannot compare a diesel to an EV because it's automatic, the cheapest diesel automatic being more expensive than the PHEV in the first instance, another one is the claimed ridiculous mileage, it's imaginary then telling people not to plug in because it's not worth it because of the great economy.

Hauling a heavy battery around in a 10 kWh phev, but nothing said of hauling a 77 kWh battery for normal local driving that most people do.

Plugging in all the time, plugging in twice a day is impractical or "parasitic charging" is another term, hardly inconvenient to plug in if you do not want or want to, it takes all of 30 seconds, plug in at home, my favourite term, as if the car knows where its getting its electricity from, it has a socket and a battery and its owner bought the car and can decide.

Eventually, most of the EVangicals will say I love phevs my mothers going to get one.

2018 leaf seems to fall short of 5 years, 2014 model S seems to fall short of 5 batteries, not really what you want to hear, but people do hear those stories and apply them to all EVs, why take the risk, you have a known expense you are used to it and if you do have a problem 1000s of places to fix it, not some vapour ware indy .

Post edited by kanuseeme on

Yeah and nearly new BMW diesels go on fire. Anyone who bases their vision on a few edge cases is a fool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

EV madness at cashel today around 3. All ionity stalls full with always 1 car waiting, and 1 car circling around. ESB had an enyaq on the AC43 plug and a leaf on DC, then later an eGolf.

Seen a few id4s, 3 or more ioniq5s, an ev6 or 2, a model 3, a Kona, a leaf, an enyaq, an eGolf and as I left a Porsche was pulling in.

That's what insurance is for, what insurance do you need for an out-of-warranty model S or Nissan leaf? That's not saying they do not catch fire also.

Leaving all the crap talk aside, to assume everyone and every car manufacturer should switch immediately over to a tech that's just over 10 years old and not have some reservations or be somewhat cautious is foolish, to never miss a chance to knock/dismiss valid and in some cases, better drivetrains than diesel while seeing EV's through rose-tinted glasses is equally foolish.

I have seen threads here, where people asking a question were more or less convinced by EVangicals to buy other people's 2nd hand substandard EVs. I cannot say if they regretted it or if they were happy, I don't know, and failing to win them over, they will recommend a diesel, least they find the abhorrent phev useful.

Two teeny issues with your logic. The low range Leaf or similar will need to recharge with electricity whereas the PHEV can (and will) go off and burn a load of oil. Second, "supporters of EVs strongly advise" is a tad broad. A certain section of those supporters.

Nice try though.

I take no pleasure in that. I have defended PHEVs at the expense of seeming anti-EV, and while a phev can contribute to that sort of scenario, it is unfortunate, it has happened, and I wish we all could charge without queuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I actually think most EV drivers here are very upfront about the realistic range and charging expectations

When someone comes on saying they've a 60km daily commute, it isn't a lie to say a Leaf will cover that to spare. It helps them to evaluate how much they need to spend on an EV

I'm pretty sure no-one on this forum has said anything like a Leaf24 can do Dublin to Cork and back in a single day with no issues, that would certainly be a massive lie

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I didn't see any phev charging or attempting to charge. But for a 5 car simultaneously charging "hub" or site, it clearly wasn't enough today. I reckon another 3 ionity units would have sufficed.

• Advertisement

I would imagine it would drive on. Clearly indeed, but 3 units needs to be 3 more hubs, then at what percentage of total cars would that be then inadequate? All that's needed now is loudmouth Joe to witness it and then it's in the pub saying diesel is best.

A PHEV could only charge at one of those chargers anyway

Good to see Ionity getting the usage, hopefully it makes a good cause for expanding

I get that but some people are slow to change and so be it. It's a free country after all and if someone decides they want a phev is it such a big deal? At least it will reduce the number of oversized diesel SUVs used for school runs and short urban journeys

From that perspective alone surely most EV supporters would consider it preferable to promote a phev over a diesel. A further benefit is that waiting times for people who actually want a BEV might be reduced. Unless there is some radical new innovation over the next couple of years people will have no choice but to buy a BEV in the not too distant future. We'll have to find something else to complain about at that stage.

Depends, my experience seems a lot of PHEVs never get charged and are running solely on the petrol engine

I know a lot of PHEV owners here regularly charge their cars, and good on them for doing so. That doesn't change the fact that there are around a dozen PHEVs around me and I've never seen any of them regularly charged

More the fool they are for wasting money on a PHEV and then wasting money on petrol, but their foolishness is still my loss since they're contributing to the already terrible air quality where I am

I'll concede that a petrol car is probably better than a diesel, but that's sort of like comparing cancers isn't it? None of them are good from an emissions viewpoint

It's no skin of nose. I'm not holding a flag up for phevs if that what the 'nice try' reference is all about. TBH if people won't charge a PHEV how would you think they would buy a BEV?

I'm not anti EV in case you think that's my motivation. I have an L30 which is grand for short journeys but I would be very slow to head off of a 50km+ journey with it so I take the diesel for those journeys which are fairly regular. If I had the money I'd buy an Ioniq 5 for the journeys I didn't need a 7 seater but currently couldn't justify an expensive EV and a 7 seater. An alternative for me would be a 7 seater phev but there was very little affordable options back 2 years ago when I was changing.

Reality is no matter how thick you think ice/phev drivers are you're going to have to put up with them for a while yet. Pity we didn't live in a more autocratic country where you could force these thickos to give up their dirty ols ICEs / phevs thereby allowing you perfectly clean air and near silent motoring.

Great thing is that things are improving and maybe we should celebrate that instead

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bioscaller

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

I'm a PHEV owner myself and I agree that there's definitely people buying PHEVs with no ability or desire to charge them. However I do believe they are the minority of buyers, having walked around the suburbs in South Dublin for the last few months, I can see pretty much every house that has had a PhEV in the driveway, also has an EV charge point installed. People aren't dumb, they will charge them.

Granted that is a pretty affluent area of Dublin so maybe that's a factor, but I would believe that most people who own a PHEV and have the ability to install a charger would do so. Hell, realistically they could get by with a regular 3 pin socket for overnight charging.

My next car will be an EV definitely, but I still very much see a place of PHEVs. I don't think someone should go out and buy an EV with a 70+kWh battery just because they do one 200km trip a month. A PHEV can be a decent solution, especially as you can get multiple PHEV battery packs out of single BEV capacity.

I was reading that the next generation Volkswagen PHEV power train, set to debut on the new Passat, will have a WLTP range of 100km. That's a system that would mean you'd rarely have to use your engine except on longer journeys. However as the battery pack sizes increase I'd rather they just go towards more REX style setups, at least it would help guarantee people would charge them.

I see a similar thing myself, quite a few PHEVs in my area got home chargers. It's often the thing that clued me in to look closer at the cars in the driveway.

But I rarely see them plugged in, chargers sitting there gathering dust instead

I spoke to one of my neighbours who owns one. He said he tried plugging it in every evening a seeing how long a tank of petrol would last. He managed to get 6 weeks between refills but gave up because it was too much hassle to charge every evening

This is IMO the fatal flaw of PHEVs, charging is basically optional and people will often choose the lazy option

I actually wish the REX concept like the i3 had gotten more popular. IMO it's the ideal best of both, where you had a big battery, fast charging and a petrol backup just in case. The cynic in me says that automakers didn't go for them because it would swing too far towards EV and wouldn't keep their existing engine factories running

Tbh, I think the REXs days are numbered too with long range EVs coming out which will soon be filtering down to the second hand market. I think their niche could be emergency or off-road vehicles, where having the petrol backup engine is more of a necessity than a luxury

@the_amazing_raisin - I was with you all the way until you mentioned REx 😂

🤣

They've got their niche IMO, at least for now. Take emergency vehicles for example, I saw a presentation recently for an electric fire engine in the US which had a backup generator to act as a range extender

It makes sense to have it there, there's no way to control when you might get a call out and I'm not sure a fire is going to wait for the truck to recharge

I honestly suspect that generator will be unused 90% of the time. But it still makes sense to have it there for something that's a critical service

However, I think that for most of the western world, a REX doesn't make sense anymore, BEVs have enough battery now that you can get where you need to go and the charging network is improving, albeit a lot slower than it should be

Before charging was introduced It used frustrate the hell out of me when looking to top up the Leaf on an on street charger to find many of the available chargers occupied by PHEVS, many fully charged.

So while it may be the case that some owners don't charge them, anyone with any common sense and pays a significant premium for a PHEV will charge it. For those that don't what can you do, but as I said earlier I would have thought people would be happier they have a petrol rather than a diesel. So in summary I don't get the strong dislike of PHEVs. Agree most better off with a BEV but next best option is probably a phev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭KCross

... anyone with any common sense and pays a significant premium for a PHEV will charge it. For those that don't what can you do...

That's it really. You can't do much about stupidity.

Just because some people are stupid doesn't mean we should tar every other PHEV owner with the same brush. I don't buy the argument that most PHEV owners don't charge them. A few anecdotes doesn't convince me of that.

The PHEV hate, I think, comes from those that are happy with their BEV's and think that because it works for them it works for everyone. The reality is different, but they will never get it. Idealists, not realists.

At some point in the future (hopefully not too far out) we will have a wide range of BEV's at more affordable prices and not be supply constrained and that suits the vast majority and THEN the days of the PHEV will be gone... we're not there yet.

Agree most better off with a BEV but next best option is probably a phev.

Basically that.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Post edited by PaulJoseph22 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

No hate for them either, but hate for the stupid owners who leave them plugged in long after they're fully charged.

I suppose it comes down to etiquette and manners. Both of which are sadly lacking in society nowadays. You only have to see the amount of idiots skipping lines of traffic or parking in disabled bays.

• Advertisement

@mfceiling - there was a charging etiquette in Ireland. But it died on 01/01/2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

There are some studies on the subject and new trends in policies emerging

http://https//www.transportenvironment.org/discover/eu-to-end-undercounting-of-plug-in-hybrid-emissions/

I do believe that Rex is better tech than PHEV, more efficient, more likely to be charged. From today I'm getting a rental which is a PHEV and I'll see how it goes. Will I plug in or not, that's the question. Hate is such a strong word though.

Spotted an EV sitting at an AC charger recently not plugged in, owner nowhere to be seen. Probably parked there to be close to the door

So it's not just PHEVs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

I see that constantly at the 7KW chargers at the Blanch red entrance merchant bankers using the spots as they are closest to the doors and not a cable in sight, there needs to be legislation akin to disabled spaces I.e. not charging no parking, with the lack of charging infrastructure we need to make the best use of what is available and make sure it’s available to as many drivers as possible

I said it to a guy parking his ev at a charging station, and not plugged in.

He said this is reserved for EV’s, told me to F.O. and walked on. This was in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

On the topic of sales and PHEVs. I've continued to note a severe undercounting of the number of PHEVs sold.

Specifically 'Petrol/Plug-In Electric Hybrid' which currently sits at 5942 units and 6.82% of sales YTD.

However sales of the RAV4 Prime, a PHEV, currently seem to be registered as regular hybrids. The PHEV accounts for a whopping 65% of all RAV4 sales at the moment giving a total of 1757 units.

Add that to the existing numbers and Petrol PHEVs are actually 7699 units (8.84%) YTD.

I'll confess that I've parked at the AC chargers in Pavilions Swords a couple of times purely to get an easy parking space when the rest of the car park was chaos

I did at least plug in and pay for the privilege, so I think my conscience is reasonably clear

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That could be down to how Toyota garages report the data back to the database, of course a cynic might say that Toyota don't want to admit the car has a plug considering how old fashioned it is to plug a car in based on their advertising 🤣

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement