Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2022 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thankfully it seems nothing very serious from the Burgos crash considering how bad it was. A few riders out obviously. Touze had brain trauma/concussion which I'm hoping sounds worse than it is. From Poland Bora's statement was strange. Mentioned the crash, the fact the Mullen finished in the top 10 and a quote from him but at no point mentioned who crashed. I had assumed it was Sam but no confirmation from the team itself.

Maybe it was Archbold, he's a DNS for the ITT today according to Declan Quigley there.

Sam just started and looked grand, no bandages I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

More than half the peloton crashed. Sam was one of the last to finish but given the same time as the winner so definitely one of those involved. Presumably not serious enough to mention as they’re all starting the TT today

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cavendish pulled out but it's to go race the Commonwealth Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I see there's live coverage of the Commonwealth road race on BBC1 sunday.

I'm guessing the finish might suit Cavendish if he's dropping out to race it?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

They're doing Picon Blanco in Burgos, they used it last year and in the Vuelta too I think, the views were pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I remember watching that with Bardet winning. Looks a lot different today!

I was laughing at the Euskadi rider near the top tucking in behind the moto , they said something to him and then it cut away. Next thing he's seen getting back on. Probably asked him if it wanted a tow !!! I couldn't quite hear 😂

This is a ride from Sivakov.

Give that lad a pen to sign his new pro contract 😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

In fairness even second would have been worth a contract in that company.

Young Darren Rafferty was 8th at the commonwealth games ITT. 2:50 behind winner Rohan Dennis (Fred Wright 2nd, Geraint Thomas 3rd).

Wow thats some placing from Thomas, he crashed as I flicked over to check on it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,179 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rafferty is one to watch. Only 19 and he's really improved a lot this year. He has a lot of potential.

An Irishman at the commonwealth games? Is he dual citizenship? No judgement just curious.

He's from the North somewhere. Lydia Boylan is down to take part for NI as well, isn't she from Dublin? Not sure what the criteria is.

That gymnast McClenaghan had to go to court to take part, he was barred as he represented Ireland in the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Just saw that crash at burgos, some carnage. Looked an ag2r rider wrapped up in the barriers with bikes no where their riders

• Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Rafferty’s from Tyrone, I’d assume Boylan must have a nordie parent and be eligible for a UK passport

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If Thomas hadn't of crashed, would he have won? (based purely on the time he lost during the crash)

By the by speaking of Irish talent I see Dan Martin has his bio coming out end of the year and it's called 'Chased by Pandas'. Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It’s hard to say because he might have just gone absolutely full gas after the crash vs whatever power plan he had before like a negative split etc, but yeah more than likely would’ve won it

He spoke about it on the cycling podcast during the tour, sounds like it'll be worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Lydia's mother is from the North as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think that was the International Gymnastics organising body, rather than the Commonwealth games, that tried to block him. There's a long history in other sports of Irish Olympians also representing NI in the Commonwealth games.

In fairness to Cavendish, I think he's generally tried to represent the Isle of Mann when he can in the commonwealth games, regardless of the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Race Director at Burgos doesn't see too much wrong with the finish...

Organisatie Vuelta a Burgos legt fout voor massale val in rit twee bij David Dekker | WielerFlits

Race director Marcus Moral does not want to bear the responsibility of the crash and puts the blame mainly on Dekker. "It was not a speed bump, but a zebra crossing of no more than 2.5 centimeters high. On a slope," claims the Spaniard. "This obstacle was indicated by markings on the ground and by the flagging of a signaller. We showed the last three kilometers to the riders in the preparation. It is impossible to find a trail by removing roundabouts or passages like this."

"It's a mistake by David Dekker," says the race director. "He has now seen that and asked for forgiveness. That's what I'm doing now. I'm not saying it's just the rider's fault. It's everyone's fault. But we cannot attack the course organization if the obstacle is indicated. I think the last kilometers of the second stage were correct. We take our responsibility, but we should not be demonized for that," Moral said. Due to the fall, several riders gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm kinda loath to stick up for race organisers, but... the way traffic calming has (rightly) gone, it's probably a choice between out of town finishes (which no towns will want to pay as much for), or some obstacles in the final.

Archie Ryan 7th in a tough stage in the Sazka Tour in Czech Republic. Stage won by Lorenzo Rota of Intermarche. Archie finished 4s back with Italian champ Filipo Zana

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/sazka-tour/2022/stage-2

Sam in a great position with less than 1k to go, gets boxed in and drops the head, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've looked at that finish a few times now and I'm struggling to think why Sam gave up other than he didn't have the legs. The snapshot below is from ~250 metres to go. Sam (red arrow) is just behind the stage winner Demare (blue arrow). Given Demare's position and how he managed to win from there, I don't think the reason for giving up was that he was boxed in 🤔

• Advertisement

He was on Kooij's wheel, I need to see it again to see how he lost position as I was watching on my phone. So do Bora send him to la Vuelta or go all in for GC? Roglic isn't certain to start at the moment.

Advertisement