Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for north Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It will be lovely to be able to finally cycle safely through a lot of that section. Unfortunately the shambles that is the junction with Malahide Road won't be fixed and will still be a death waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Junction is being changed as part of the project, you can see the new design on page 38 here, heading outbound it’ll be much nicer since there won’t be the pinch point beside the spar, and inbound it’ll be segregated from the bus lane

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/2022-06/landscaping.pdf

Looks good. I'd still have concerns on vehicles jutting out from the Malahide Road sliproad to turn left towards Clontarf. Have been forced out into traffic many times there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

They also have Griffith avenue down to one land just after you turn off the malahide road, which is where I can see a lot of traffic heading once this comes in to effect. It's going to be carnage.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Hopefully long delays will further deter gratuitous car usage. I notice how traffic levels in fairview have returned to about as busy as it was before it was reduced to one lane. Traffic evaporation before our very eyes and there's been no build up on alternative routes.

• Advertisement

Griffith avenue has always been one lane up until the turn for philipsburgh avenue though, it just splits into two lanes to allow for right turns towards town

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I should have been clearer, it one lane for both directions. They have the side closest those new apartments completely blocked off for works.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Its July though. Traffic is relatively light everywhere at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Has that jeweller in Fairview closed yet? I see he's complaining on the Indo today (I refuse to link to it).

Yeah he is, the building is for sale (who would want to buy it after all his bad mouthing of the area / impact on the business) and he has taken a job as an employee at a jeweller store in the City centre (down a lane way where nobody can park ironically).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

down a lane way where nobody can park ironically

Yeah but I bet there isn't a feckin cycle path outside either 😎

Dunno if anyone else has gone down fairview since the road closure, but the temporary measures for cycling are absolutely dire.

You get spit out into the bus lane now, which at rush hour is full of private cars as well as buses and taxis. Was shocked at how poor it was and the amount of traffic using it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I can't find anything new on him in the Indo today but Mr. Duggan just needs to move on. If you think you can't run your business due to the loss of 4 car parking spaces then you are already finished.

Looking at an article a couple of weeks ago I see he said he "believes the move will turn Marino 'into a car park'" Which is funny, considering he used to park his car for free in Marino, and walk down to work in his shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I see the temporary plastic wands are being removed and replaced by kerbing on the Mobhi Road vicinity of Griffith Ave at the moment. The usual Facebook cranks are giving out about it, even though it will look far better than the plastic stuff.

So they're just putting kerbing on a cycle lane that is substandard while maintaining extra wide traffic lanes and turning lanes.

I do wonder what is going on sometimes. We have design standards in DMURS, the national cycling manual, and there's always international best practice examples. But for some reason we just have to accept that some lad in DCC knows better than all these legal standards and design documents. Surely its illegal for a local authority to ignore dmurs?

What's the guide for single track cycle lane width?

People already saying some sections of the new C2CC will not be wide enough, at 1700mm wide, especially with the uptake in cargo bike use.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

I kinda wish they would stop trying to building bike infrastructure. It's like watching a dog trying to do algebra.

Like this junction for example. Reminded me of the mess up on Lombard St.

https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/1562392044097748994?s=20&t=nqMQwL-DOn6LP7xsmb7A1Q

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thst design is awful. Someone could be killed there with driving like the second motorist who clearly should not be cutting across any cyclist like that. The right filter light needs to be red if the cycle througj is green. Basic stuff.

The same or similar design is now on Dromartin Link Road in Kilmacud. Not sure about the oncoming right sequence, but I am wary of traffic turning left on Kilmacud Road from behind me as I go across on the lane towards Sandyford. Sometimes I go back out onto the road to establish a primary position or just to be seen as traffic.

It's so disappointing. All the guidance and design documents and it's just another make it up as you go along job plus lethal light sequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I had just been using the pedestrian light to cross at the Drummartin extension (cargo bike not manoeuvrable enough to do vehicular cycling there reliably). I thought that arm of the junction was going to result in a collision eventually, if used as designed. But I haven't been that way in a few months, because of roadworks in Clonskeagh and summer holiday.

Apart from that arm of the junction, the work done on the Lower Kilmacud Road has been very good.

The design isn't great, that's agreed. But the main issue here is drivers not understanding how lights work, coupled with an aggressive attitude towards cyclists.

I've just spent 2 days in Copenhagen. It's bike infrastructure heaven. Hell, it's probably brilliant to drive in too as it works so well

There must be a subscription to enable the indicators on the Alphas? That guy was clearly too tight to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Driver's a twat, obviously, but the cyclist knew exactly what he was at there, and the outcome he wanted. Look at his starting position, anyone else would've been up at the stop line and once green light went would've been out ahead of the car, driver would stop...all would be good with the world....but no.

If he had been at the stop line, then he would have been right on top of the cyclist in front of him. I've no idea why he wasn't 1m ahead of where he was. What does it matter? The driver had an amber light meaning that he should only proceed when it is safe and clear. He didn't check properly before turning left.

Would you have the same issue with the cyclist had arrived at those lights while they were already green for him meaning no waiting? The drive (with an amber light) would still be expected to yield to the cyclist (with a green light).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I've no issue with the cyclist bar pointing out he knew what was going to happen there. Stopping further up would've prevented it.

I wouldn't agree. The driver turned regardless of the presence of the cyclist. It is not the responsibility of the cyclist (who couldn't know what the driver would do).

The entire blame here is with the driver who turned left without looking properly. Would you blame a bus driver in a bus lane (with a green light) who was left hooked by a turning driver (who had a flashing amber)?

• Advertisement

The bollards on Griffith avenue have been replaced with concrete kerbs and very subtle bollards in them.

Advertisement