Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Hot and sunny in Galway now. Great start to weekend.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Chilly this morning in NCD.

I decided to leave my walk until lunchtime and made the right choice.

Plenty of sunshine and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Cooler day in Dublin but again dry and partly cloudy with spells of sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Promising thoughts on next week from Siobhán Ryan from Met É:

"The days will get warmer by about a degree each day. It looks by and large dry and calm. Any fronts are well away from the northwest. The trend is upwards next week. It will be sunny with slack winds and very little rain. It’s very hard to see the high pressure going anywhere"

We'll see about the sunny bit...

Post edited by sryanbruen on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

There's nowhere in Ireland that be described as hot this afternoon and you won't hear any Met Eireann forecaster use the term "hot" in their forecast today. In a location sheltered from the breeze and where it's not too cloudy (more than half the country is covered in cloud), mild would be about as far as you could go with the description of the temperature. At the 14:00 report, all of the official Met stations are reporting temperatures in the teens. I would say that there a few favoured locations that have temperatures barely creeping into the very low 20's but even at that, mild would be most likely the best description for that......maybe warm if you can feel warm with those relatively low temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

think it means hot in Galway terms :) Maybe 17 degrees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Will the warmer weather be the usual cloudfest though or any chance of some prolonged clear skies?

My app giving lovely forecast for the coming week, low to mid 20s and dry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

What about Kerry? While temps look very promising will we get the sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

dry can be taken for granted in Dublin these days, but it looks like another cloudfest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hard to pin down my thoughts on this summer really as it has been a bit of everything and alot of nothing so to speak.

Rainfall amounts here are quite skewed owing to the ~34mm that a thunderstorm dropped in late June. Other than that it has been mostly dry - with near-drought conditions. Grass growth mostly slow, a few spurts here and there.

It has been breezy more often than not, but a few welcome very calm days along the way too.

Likewise, it has been partly to mostly cloudy more often than not - but a few mostly sunny days with the odd clear blue sky day interspersed.

Overall - mild to warm, partly to mostly cloudy and a little on the breezy side for my liking. (I'd take 19c max in calm over a breezy 24c max)

I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10 so far - let's see what the remainder of August does to this rating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Just back from a coastal walk in Galway, where there was complete shelter from the wind. Sun is out, only a few scattered clouds inland. It feels hot & warm. Gorgeous :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Jaysus .. meanwhile in Iraq .. over the 50 C .. above wet-bulb temperatures humans can endure

Couldn’t care less if it’s partly cloudy but it’s 23-26 degrees and dry. Warmth all I need in summer, sun a bonus

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A beautiful day in Meath, plenty of sun and feeling warm after a rather cool and showery morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

Lovely evening near Trim. Out the back enjoying the sun ☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Next week looks a sizzler countrywide

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Unlikely to be as hot as the recent heat spike overall but this spell could be similar to last July's very warm week. Hopefully we will all see more in the way of sunshine and 5 to 7 days of temperatures around the mid twenties and high twenties locations well inland. Could well be the highlight of this warm to very warm but cloudyish summer. This summer has certainly delivered in terms of dryness and warmth but we need a solid week of mostly unbroken gin blue skies combined with the warmth to bring this summer up another notch before the autumn gets going. If we get this than summer 2022 could beat summer 2021 for warmth overall, however there has been too many average weeks in June and cloud to call this a classic summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

A beautiful evening spent in Malahide.

So nice to eat outside and walk by Marina with barely a breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

I was due to go back to Spain on Monday but as Kerry is wonderful in good weather I'm seriously thinking of postponing to Friday. It's probably crystal ball stuff but would any of the weather experts here be able to give me a rough idea of how good the south west will be next week please? 21/22 and cloudy is hardly worth postponing for but 24/25 and quite sunny would be a runner. I need to move fast as right now the flight price is lower than what I paid so I'd only have the flight change fee but with Ryanair that could all change fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Won't be always dry in the Northwest next week. A few cloudy misty periods but should be over 20c most days. However from around August 15th the weather will turn cooler and unsettled as lows from the North push the High Pressure South. Temperatures next week should peak around 27c and then dip to mid teens by week 3.

Beautiful blue skies morning in Dublin

A lovely morning here in Meath, plenty of sunshine and feeling warm. The past few days have generally been decent for sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Clouds seem to be rolling in 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Met Eireann predicting temperatures close to 30C for my location in Kilkenny next weekend...says 29C...

Its great to get some good summer weather, but the very dry conditions this summer and the dry spring, could lead to water issues, wells are already struggling.

We live in a country of contrasts as some areas had a lot of rain, other areas wishing they had gotten some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Fully cloudy in Trim, Meath.... Not too far from you. Sun has yet to make an appearance. Mild though, unlike recent times.

Clouding up here now too. The forecast was for cloud to build today and could remain for much of tomorrow. Monday/Tuesday is when we should start to see proper sunshine and hopefully unbroken sunshine by Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Shows 30C for Kilkenny City on 13th and 14th along with heatwave conditions being met (5 consecutive days of 25C or more).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sun here in Sligo all day so far. Thought it was going to rain in Northwest last night but just burned off and blue skies with patchy cloud. Prob won't last all day but it is 20c in back garden and probably 18c in general.

Next week we should hit 20c most days. That's good.

What's not good is the 40c line seems to get further North every year. Hopefully it never reaches these Northwestern parts but everywhere from Southern half of England to Spain has had it now.

Used to be weird for parts of France to be 40c before 2003.

Also used to be rare to get a 30c Summer in Ireland. That too is becoming more common.

Advertisement