Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I saw that post and my first thing to do would be to ignore the nissan dealer completely as they are clueless.

I would get leafspy on the battery and check cell parameters etc but the very very first thing would be to charge the 12v battery externally to the car. Leafs always have issues like that and they are almost always caused by the 12v

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Not my experience with BMW, always a loaner car offered to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

It seems convenient for Nissan that it gives up the ghost 4466 km after its 100000-mile warranty.

Battery warranty

Investing in a New Nissan LEAF means investing in both the very latest in all-electric vehicle technology and in peace of mind. Each new model that is purchased is backed by an 8-year/100,000-mile New Nissan LEAF Battery Capacity Loss Warranty, which ensures any concerns over the maintenance and performance of the Lithium-Ion battery in your vehicle are covered.

https://www.windsor.ie/nissan/new-leaf/maintenance/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Surely that's an outlier. 165k Km should be nothing for an EV battery. EVs key selling points are longevity and low maintenance, with the exception of early Teslas which seem to be particularly problematic. Increasingly we're hearing of 1m km EVs so with the fantastic tax incentives and low running costs, EV taxis will be hugely profitable unless fares are reduced. NB to get in early and make a killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Any time I needed a loaner it was my insurance sorted it out not the garage, unless its scheduled warranty work and then I just organise my life to not need one to avoid the stress and ballache of insurance etc. I dont get the obsession with like fo like loaners really some people have, if I need one I want a 0.9litre polo please....Defo dont want a better car as comparison is the thief of joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Easier said than done, @Fitz II to arrange your life not to need one. You have to drop the car in to the dealers. Then what? Get a taxi or lift / public transport home or to work and same again when you come pick up the car? That's hassle (public transport or lift) or costs money (taxi). And what do you do in the meantime if you don't have a spare car that you could use?

I'd rather a one minute robust conversation with the dealer demanding a loaner car (like yourself I couldn't really care what it was as long as the fuel light wasn't on and I had to fuel it at one of those petrol stations I used to frequent a long time ago 😂) and a one minute phone call to my insurer to change over the reg. Both cost nothing. I used to have insurance that stipulated that I didn't have to do anything about insurance and I could drive any garage provided loaner car as long as it wasn't for more than 9 working days in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I used to have insurance that stipulated that I didn't have to do anything about insurance and I could drive any garage provided loaner car as long as it wasn't for more than 9 working days in a row.

Its called PC12A. I've used it a few times recently. The dealer specifically asked if I had this in my policy and once I had there was nothing else required. Automatically covered and no phone calls or specifying start/end times etc. Just hop in and drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

used to be my experience too, but not recently, Covid was used as an excuse and never reverted back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hopefully but it was a 2018 car. Hopefully he can get it sorted through an Indy.

You don’t need to sort out insurance. Most fully comp policies mean you just hop in and drive. My own included, they don’t want any details unless I will have it for longer than 10 days.

• Advertisement

That poster is in the UK so dealing with BMW UK.

BMW Ireland do not give loaners as you’ve rightly pointed out.

What would it cost to put a new leaf on the road given current incentives? I thought I recently read that a new MG only cost in the region of €11k. Would a new Leaf cost much more?

It was me that posted about the MG.

Last year we got one on the road for €11,200. Also 4x eNiros for less than €18k on the road. One of them less than €17k.

It will be more this year as the costs of the cars have gone up.

What’s the RRP of a Leaf now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So I've been in California for 2 weeks now.

EV's that I've seen:

2 ioniq 5

2 EV 6

1 EQS

1 XC40

1 Rivian pick up

2 ID 4

Plus thousands and thousands of Teslas!!

Haven't seen a plaid though. Haven't seen any BMW'S or a Lucid yet. Going to LA now so these figures may change today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

What often happens is that one cell in the battery degrades faster than others and pulls the others down as a result

It probably is an outlier, but it's still considered fine from Nissan's perspective. I went on a bit of a rant a few pages back about how manufacturers test their products beyond their spec limit to ensure they last the expected lifetime. That's why generally the batteries last longer than expected but it is basically borrowed time

Because the battery is a sealed unit, and requires "special training and equipment" to work with, garages won't fix them. They'll just swap them out

The batteries in Tesla's, or at least the Model S, were almost hand crafted. The individual cells were matched very closely to each other and they were very carefully put together. Again, they were specced way beyond any competitors batteries which is what is allowing them to expect a million miles from some of them

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Nissan Ireland refused to look at the battery in our leaf (2016) when we started having problems. As above, our Indy dealer identified a few cells that were causing the pack to be dragged down. Nissan said it was typical wear and tear and would not budge on it. I think it was more to do with the fact that they didn’t really understand what they were being told and just fobbed us off.

Just like any ICE warranty , most people won’t look at the battery warranty until it becomes an issue.

Going forward I would make sure our EV’s are serviced by the dealer before the battery warranty expires so that any issues are at least identified before the deadline. If it’s in writing you have more recourse.

Hopefully in a few years there will be more indy dealers who can help, from outside the dealer network, to sort problems like this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I’m on my first driving holiday since getting an EV. Went smoothly in Clare. Saw plenty of availability in chargers I didn’t need to use. I charged daily in Shannon, once on the DC at Circle K and twice on the AC by the Garda station when I had enough leftover juice that AC speed was enough.

Crossed over to Wicklow today and used a fair bit so went for DC again. Popped in to Coynes Cross services for a bite to eat and a charge if available. Lucky I wasn’t counting on the charge. ID3 on CCS and a van on AC. Then a Leaf came and was still waiting when I left. I drove the few minutes to Tesco Wicklow and charged there, with a backup plan to use one of the ACs if that was in use. Topped up a bit more on a Tesla hotel AC for my last day and trip home tomorrow and of course moved the car to a normal spot when done.

At this point, it’s clear that a single unit at motorway services is crap. They should have banks of the things.

As an aside, I saw loads of EVs on my travels, in all sorts of places in the back of beyonds. Was good to see. Several from UK and the continent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I passed the 1000km mark in my new MG. Loving it so far, it's a very different driving experience than the big outlander. Far faster and gets off the mark quickly. Far more luxurious too. The quality inside and out and the tech under the hood is staggering for the money.

Lots of room, buggy, travel cot, 6 or 7 bags all in the boot. 3 kids and two adults inside it. The glass roof makes it nice and bright.

Two big trips, 300km to Clare and back and 407 to cork and back. Plenty of motorway and AC needed from Cork. I charged fully before leaving home but didn't need to charge on either trip (but I did so a 3 pin top up in cork over night as it was on offer, never turn down a free charge), I reckon I'd have made it home with +10%. I added 20% via 3 pin and got home with 29% left. Realistically if I was approaching 20% when joining the 65km of motorway I wouldn't have been doing 120 with the fans blowing.

So it is hitting the 440km listed range pretty regularly. Sticking it into eco mode and you are looking at 460 on normal roads.

Round trip to Kerry this weekend similar mileage to the Cork trip as I've an extra day trip planned to Dingle too. Will likely 3 pin top up in a similar fashion at the rented house.

But very glad I made the jump. All the worrying about range and charging seems daft now. Still couldn't afford to have made the leap before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think you're putting a lot of faith in the dealership to be able to spot any battery issues ahead of time. I know that they can all output things like cell voltage via OBD but you also need someone who can interpret the results, and I've yet to see anything that gives me confidence many dealerships can do that

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Note in Wicklow town Lidl has a 50kW charger as well as Lidl south bray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

The differential in rapid and fast charging pricing I find is a bit of a dilemma.

On one hand its good to have the ability to pay a premium for convenience - Im all for that. But on the other, there are many EV users who dont fully comprehend that an EVs ability to charge rapdily is dependant particularly on the state of charge and battery temperature.

It all to easy to go for a quick top up and find you are paying for rapid charging, only to find your charge rate is no higher than you would acheive on a fast charge (eg less than 50kW).

Surely that's an outlier. 165k Km should be nothing for an EV battery.

The Tesla M3 RWD has a 8 year 160,000km battery warranty so probably somethin in that. As @the_amazing_raisin said, after that your on borrowed time. Battery Management System plays a big factor in longetivity, as well as charging behavior by the owner.

Increasingly we're hearing of 1m km EVs so with the fantastic tax incentives and low running costs, EV taxis will be hugely profitable unless fares are reduced.

If you acheive 1 milllion km in your EV you will have probably replaced your battery 2 or 3 times.

192,000km warranty for the Model 3 Performance, I wonder why the difference?

Never said I trusted the dealer, but if you can show there’s a problem yourself (using say leafspy) and they deny it, you have some wiggle room.

Totally agree that the level of incompetence atm is shocking and needs to change quickly.

If you wanted to become a mechanic nowadays, are there specific EV training schemes or is it all done in house by individual manufacturers?

If you're in LA keep an eye for one of the two Fisker Ocean test vehicles that recently landed (amongst the 2.5 million cars there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I like the Fiskers but they are likely not going to be big sellers in the USA as they don't qualify for the new incentives. Hopefully they do well here.

I like the interview with Henrik Fisker that I linked to here:

Warranty and lifetime of battery are 2 different things entirely. Are there stats showing significant battery failure, as against degradation, just outside of warranty periods? TBH if that was the case, that would be a really strong argument not to buy a used EV and yet in many cases used EVs are selling for more than they were when new.

In any case degradation does not equal failure. And even if batteries suffer degradation they are still perfectly operational especially now in bigger battery cars. In a 400km range car, 20% degration will still leave you with 320km range which is nearly twice the range of a new L24.

While the Leafs are rigjtly derided for their poor battery chemistry and non existent cooling, there are still loads to be seen on the roads and you can be sure the vast majority are still on the original battery. My own L30 has 148k km on the original battery and while it has degraded to high 70's % it still has been flawless since I got it 5 years ago. I only wish it had a bit more range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If we are talking Tesla then you've made a good point.

There are no degradation issues with Tesla batteries, they are holding their age very well and Tesla released stats on it (rare event for Tesla)

Battery failure is a separate point and Tesla rarely replace degraded battery (as above, not an issue), they do replace failures and have never published stats on this but we all know Tesla's from 2012-2016 are prone to battery failure.

My S battery was at 91% SOH at just under 8 years old when I sold it.

My Leaf was at 92% SOH at just over 5 yeard old when I sold it.

Our current 2019 Kona is 3.5 years old at 97% SOH but we're getting a brand new battery whenever so not bothered about that

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Electric vehicles are already displacing 1.5 million barrels per day of oil usage, equivalent to about 3% of total road fuel demand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think a lot depends on the particular dealer, had my Mini serviced this week and had loaner for 2 days, plenty of BMW's booking in at the same time which were also given loaner cars at the same time.

Advertisement