Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Could be Short Eared Owl pellets too. They seem to be regular and possibly breeding now in the SW

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Not sure if people are aware of this. Only found out about a week ago myself. It's been active since January, and runs out in January.

It's a European vote for the protection of sharks from finning in. European waters.

Irish votes are slow to come in.

I've been promoting it goodo on social media. Any ideas how to spread the word more and get more votes?

I've been tagging many Irish wildlife people, and can count on 1 hand how many responded.

Would people here be have any ideas, it's a Europe wide vote. If even how I could spread the word in other countries.

https://eci.ec.europa.eu/012/public/#/screen/home

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

For what it's worth, I've signed it and I've passed it on to a good few people. Might be worth posting it in the vegetarian and in the animal forums, too, if allowed.

A petition in Avaaz would probably help, too. https://secure.avaaz.org/page/en/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

That's brilliant New Home.

Thanks very much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone else catch 'the wild gardener' on BBC2 on friday? was a lovely watch; colin stafford johnson (himself the son of ireland's first telly gardener) decides to turn an acre his family owns in wicklow, into a wildlife haven. it's beautifully shot, as you might expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Bsal

Loved it, looking forward to part 2 on Friday.

part 1 is repeated tomorrow night on BBC1 for anyone who missed it.

• Advertisement

isn't it great that coillte are doing such good work for (checks notes) irish biodiversity?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Anyone know what this is? I am guessing it was the start of a wasp nest that was abandoned for some reason?

Is it safe to remove or could there be something in there hibernating or whatever it is that wasps do? It is about the size of a tennis ball.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes, it's a wasps nest. I'd spray it (carefully) with insecticide until it's soaked, then remove it the next day.

You won't know if it's full or empty until you look at it closely, it's hard to tell at that distance unless there's a light shining through it from the opposite side.

On second thought... it could be a blob of expanding foam. If it looks papery, it's wasps. If it doesn't, it's not. The iffy part is the "stalks", there's usually only one in wasps nests.

ah, i'd just get a pint glass, and place it over it and slide some card over it so the glass is covered by the card, can easily be disposed of then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Definitely not foam. I poked it with my finger and it is like very thin greaseproof paper. Like a lantern.

I actually only discovered it tonight as we are moving out so no time to spray and leave for a couple of days.

• Advertisement

I like this advice but could something bad happen? It is in the eaves of the house so awkward enough to get in at it cleanly.

Get the hoover, put it on full power and use it to remove the nest. Then (if it's a bagged one), spray some insecticide in it, seal the bag and throw it in the bin. If it's a non-bagged one, see if they move/wake up after they end up in the canister and take it from there. You might want to close off the hose after you've caught the nest, in case they come out when the vacuum cleaner is off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wasps should all be dead by this time of year (apart from the queen - don't know where she hibernates).

Not your ornery onager

I cut it down this morning into a jar. There was nothing alive in there so job done. Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I saw a pied robin today. I wish I could say I got a great photo, but he was hopping around too much and I only had a phone. Good luck picking him out!

• Advertisement

was out on the bike earlier and came across a dead buzzard at the side of the road; i collected it later in the car and will try to get through to the NPWS in case they want to test it; it's lambing season so could have been poison, but there was also avian flu recently. or it could have been clipped by a car.

i've just had a closer look and the very tip of its upper beak is broken, so possibly an impact.

Heard my first swallow of the season, yesterday. NW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Bsal

The first house Sparrow fledgling in the garden today and a bat flying around last evening.

I just had a guy call to the door (cold call) asking me if I wanted him to top and trim my trees in the back garden. Pretty sure that is illegal this time of year No?

In a gardening context, it's generally considered ok. Still, not the best time of year to be trimming most trees, they should be done when dormant.

They are not going near them. One of the reasons we wanted a big garden was to have birds and other wildlife. These are large trees with lots of nests in them so it would be criminal to go ripping them down.

Good job you. Topping trees seems to be an Irish disease. Trees look awful after, forever. Far more chancers out there than decent arborists anyway.

It's roadkill season. A spin on the M6 yesterday and saw two fox cubs (one was curled up like asleep, heartbreaking), a red squirrel, a badger and a poor little hedgehog. An abundance of roadkill, while not great is often seen as a sign of a fairly healthy population. Saw a stoat, and I think a rat last week in east Galway too.

I don't know of any tunnels/bridges/funnels for wildlife to use on this motorway, probably helps that its not terribly busy; I would be fairly sceptical of how useful such measures would be anyway, and the use of fences etc would likely cut off populations from each other.

Interesting that I never seem to see deer roadkill, even in areas like south east Galway/Tipp with large populations.

One of the main reasons is that most people don't even slow down, or stop afterwards. Breaks my heart every time.

Can anyone identify this flower? Some kind of Poppy?

• Advertisement

Giant Poppy/ Oriental Poppy, but not sure what cultivar exactly (as opposed to Wild Poppy).

If you ask here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057970687/plant-weed-id-megathread#latest someone will almost certainly be able to identify it more precisely.

Question: behind my house there's a field where cows graze. It's surrounded by a hedge of ashes where lots of birds live, including a healthy bunch of corvids. If the weather is particularly bad, we also get the odd seagull visiting. I'd usually be able to distinguish among the various calls (more or less, anyway), but this evening, around half eight, there was the weirdest sound. The only thing it reminded me of was the call of an emperor penguin. I know it wasn't a penguin, I'm not for the birds THAT much, but it didn't sound like a distress call, either. Any ideas as to what it could have been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

this evening have your smartphone at the ready and record it, and upload onto https://vocaroo.com/ so we can all have a listen

I'd never heard it before, I hought it might have been a visiting bird. It's not out there tonight, either.

It sounded a lot like this, but louder and with more frequent calls.

maybe a grebe of some sort? do you live near a river?

Not that I know of.... 🤔

Based on some of the calls I heard on youtube, I don't think it was a grebe - the call I heard sounded lower, deeper, but thanks for the suggestion.

'fraid not... less choppy.

well maybe a mammal then - a badger? fox? pine marten?

• Advertisement

a friend of my wife's lives on griffith avenue on dublin's northside; the other night her door bell camera was triggered by a badger in their front garden. that's the second time recently i've heard of a badger in the area (though the first anecdote while heard recently, was for a sighting i think from a year or two ago)

That's rather pleasing. I had assumed it could only be from St Anne's or Phoenix Park, but looking at Google Earth there is still a fair bit of potential sett habitat closer again.

It seems in Ireland badgers have a slightly different social structure to UK dwellers, without the very large megasetts, even in similar habitats.

And a satellite sett could be dug in a large neglected garden.

saw this today..is it a mayfly? surely not

yep, there's actually farmland very near; just cut for hay i assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

We moved into our house 2 years ago and have shared our garden with a pair of hooded crows. I've become quite fond of them, mainly because they keep the magpies out of the garden (for the most part) meaning the smaller birds get to eat the food we leave out. I also leave out scraps at the other end of our garden for the hooded crows.

Anyway, this morning, we found one of the hooded crows dead and looks like it had been partially eaten by something. The remaining crow looks a bit 'sad' and lonely wandering around the garden. Will he (I think it's the male) find another mate or is he a widower for life now?

Birds that are said to mate for life, like the Hooded Crow, can and will find a new partner if one of a pair dies. Now this crow might be getting on, they do live a decade or more all going well, but he might or might not have the vitality etc to attract a new partner.

Hooded Crows are just magnificent birds, wily, wary enough, fiercely intelligent and independent. You find them in the most desolate, godforsaken places, and in pleasant gardens. it's great to make a connection with these birds, and I hope this one sticks around; if you're feeding them they likely will, perhaps that will help attract a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Thanks for that blaris - really interesting birds! Good-ish news is that it was a false alarm - It seems it wasn't my hooded rook that died but another one, the other part of the couple was just MIA for a few days but both were back plodding around the garden again today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Soon after six and the first gentle birdsong! They are very quiet these day and very welcome. Good morning little feathered one!

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

First birdsong today; 6.40 am... It is something I listen for every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭j2

how do you get into birdwatching in dublin

Birdwatch Ireland is best starting point, there are local groups around Dublin too, under their umbrella. Several Facebook/Instagram pages for these.

This is a great time of year to start, and coastal areas the most productive, so loads of scope around Dublin. Dun Laoghaire, Booterstown Marsh, Rogerstown Estuary, Bull Island. Some type of binoculars essential - its always said buy the best you can afford, they will last a lifetime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement