Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Up until a few weeks ago not everybody knew. You were then cheering on a one man and hos dog protest in Galway against the opening of a gas fired plant there.

I`m not sure everybody even knows now. Ryan &Co. still do not appear to have got the message. Doing their utmost to ensure we do not get to know if we have untapped gas reserves, ignoring that 75% of the supply we are receiving is not secure, ignoring that we have little or no back-up storage facilities, beavering away at planning application level and attempting to legislate to ban LNG a recognised transitional fuel.

Now that you appear to have recently had your Road to Damascus moment on gas, maybe you could drop them a line and suggest they cop themselves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes there are many people who suspect that the climate change agenda is driven by an alliance of academic and business interests. One feeds off the other and we have more academics than ever being churned out of colleges with a need to generate research income streams for themselves. For business, it's all about churning the market and continuously developing & grooming new customers.

However, there have definitely been big societal changes even in my lifetime: travel whether local or international has greatly increased, we have & expect far more consumer goods and agriculture (partic dairy) here has become industrialised, we use far more chemicals & sprays to save on hand labour.

Instead of building all these huge renewables schemes and mining some parts of the world to make batteries, we could as a society just choose to do less and consume less. Growth is the real enemy and the need for continuous growth. The Greens do us no favours by selling an idea that we keep having growth if we just swap one set of technology for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Eirgid have dashboard and you can download the data, last month on average we got 21.3% of our power from wind, at no time did it meet our energy needs and at no time was there any surplase to divert into battery storage. There were times where it meet 5 % of of our needs, others it was 50ish %

Well....yeah

First, there is not a sufficient volume of wind in our mix at the present time to meet the full demand except for the few times when high wind coincide with low demand and even then it can't get beyond a certain %, see the second point

Second, there is a limit placed by Eirgrid on how much power can come from wind. At present that is 70%, so regardless of how much is being produced, no more than 70% of it will be absorbed by the grid

Currently EirGrid operate the power system with up to 70% of renewable power at a given time, including onshore wind and solar. By 2030, this will need to rise to 95% in real time and higher.

Come back in a few years when we've built 7GW of offshore wind, 5 GW of solar and a few more GW of onshore and you'll see a very different picture

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi dacor, you didn’t get around to answering this question?

You may have missed it?

• Advertisement

You`re very much like the new lad to farming looking at a calf`s head and asking a neighbour did he thing it would make a good bull, to be told he was looking at the wrong end of the animal if that was his concern.

If you are looking for a 100% reliable dependable energy source the GWs needed are determined by the lowest level of input. Be that from on or offshore wind or solar. Talking about wind and solar installed capacity is meaningless. From on-shore wind where there is an installed capacity of around 4,500MW, and peak demand being around 6,000 MW, we have had for extended period due to low wind as little as 360MW of that 6,000MW being provided by on-shore wind.

So the question I have been asking is does anyone even have a vague idea of how much installed capacity from wind and solar will be required to supply the aimed for 100% of our needs, because as far as I can see there is no plan or costings other than throw money at both and hope that we will get it right. It`s a financial plan that your local bank manager would laugh you out the door if you approached him with it seeking a loan

The target is 80% by 2030

100% + storage is 2050 target

So no answer to an important question then? 🧐

I'm sure there is one, let me know what ER says when you ask him

• Advertisement

Ah the stock answer from a poster who recognises the flaws in his argument but just won’t admit to them.

Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

We are nowhere near 70% max now. I wouldn't count on off or on shore wind, the arklow banks one never got fully built they had permission for more than they have now. If we got to 70% then we would be able to divert some to battery storage but we would still need gas so no hope of net zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Sure. Al Gore followed that science thing you mention. Then he wrote couple books and bought seafront land cheap for his mansion. Paid for by the people like you who follow that thing called science. Only that you choose to believe certain people who put great deal of fiction to that science.

We are nowhere near 70% max now.

Absolutely, we have a long way to go.

As for onshore/offshore, there is massive benefits to offshore which onshore just can't come close to

• Far bigger turbines (onshore 3/4MW versus offshore 10-15MW)
    • Higher wind speeds for greater durations
    • Larger wind farms

If we got to 70% then we would be able to divert some to battery storage but we would still need gas so no hope of net zero.

Power is already getting diverted to battery storage regardless of source. There's several GW of additional battery storage coming online over the next few years too. Its primary usage will be for load balancing but can be used as a short term (hours) backup

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Shoog

Science hating seems big round here, unless its the science of nuclear and gas extraction. Why so selective ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

A welcome move to protect our marine areas, 30% of it by 2030

Fair play to Fianna Fail for bringing forward this legislation

The 2020 Programme for Government included a commitment to expand Ireland’s network of marine protected areas to 10% of its maritime area as soon as is practical, aiming for 30% coverage by 2030.

What are you on about now ?

Your reply is not even vaguely related to the question I asked.

You are asking a 2050 question when all the focus (govt) is currently on the 2030 answer

Best of luck with that idea.

We have never been able to protect our own fishing waters and last year it got so bad we had to rely on the E.U. ship Lundy Sentinel to patrol the Celtic Sea.

• Advertisement

Stop bluffing attempting to either avoid or admit you have not the slightest idea what the answer is.

We already know that the on-shore wind installed capacity is around 4,500MW, 80% of our peak demand. For three prolonged periods this past year that installed capacity was supplying 6% and less of that installed capacity. Meaning had we 16 times more installed capacity from on-shore wind we would still have struggled to reach 80% of peak demand.

So...... taking into account the worst case scenario, (the one that would keep the lights on), based on the lowest off-shore wind what installed capacity will it take to make up the shortage of supply. 15 times that already installed on-shore, 15 times more, 10 times, 5 times, or is the only plan just to keep throwing money at it hoping it works out. ?

You keep creating these imaginary situations where we're only going to use wind for all generation and its skewed all your little scenarios as a result to the point of hilarity. Why is that? Its strange as you already know a great deal about the plans for onshore, offshore, solar, pumped storage, interconnectors, green hydrogren, batteries etc etc not to mention the fact that a 100% renewable grid is not a target until 2050 so gas will play its part until then.

If you want to keep up with the walter mitty silliness, away with ya. If you want to discuss logical and realism, grand. Up to you, I already have you on ignore and rarely read your posts either way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

My personal concern would be the science is being hijacked to further an agenda.......the bits of the science used (most oft quoted etc) appear selective ...and when you ask for clarification or why the whole picture isn't being considered you are shut down/ignored/fobbed off with a hand wavey argument ...

Science to me never meant be selective to prove a point/railroad people.....

I make my points above in relation to what I've been listening to regarding farming over the last few weeks.....

Some of the "science" I've heard in that context has left a lot to be desired imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

You often hear people say that in 2030 or 2050 (or whatever the trendy arbitrary year is these days) that we will regret not doing more when we had the chance to tackle climate change.

So seeing as now, in 2022, we are past the point of no return. What could we have done differently exactly? If we had a time machine handy - to what year would we travel to and what would we ask them to do exactly?

Your attempts to avoid admitting that like any greens when asked you have no idea what installed capacity of renewables will be required to reach the 2030 80% is what I am finding funny.

Green hydrogen between now and 2930 or batteries that are capable of filling the gaps in input for long periods we have seen from renewables is just more green magic thinking. Pumped storage alone would be in the nuclear power price range, and adds extra amusement when we haven`t even storage for the energy source that is keeping the lights on, gas. Interconectors that will supply when we need it is not a plan. It`s crossing fingers and hope.

What is particularly amusing is your mention of logic where we are throwing good money after bad with no idea what installed capacity will actually be need and what that will cost. Logic, lol, greens would not recognise logic if it hit them between the eyes. There is no logic to the green ideology. The "all those emitters who are the real problem will see our example of crippling the country and do the same" is an example of greens logic. But then I do not know of any cults that operate on logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Oh well this is why you don't trust despotic Regimes game may be up for the green agenda.

Aside from sending a dementia patient (Pelosi, 82) to try and start a war for no good reason. The Americans got the message last time the CCP dissed John Kerry on his visit to China. The CCP views climate changeas just another tool of American imperialism, one which CCP are quite willing to use for their own 'discourse control'. Nobody moving to ban solar panels from China yet. China and India wrote their own agreement into the 2015 Paris agreement, they don't have to do anything.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Are you ok? You appear to be sinking to GO'D levels of debate now.

• Advertisement

For anyone interested, the minister dumped €60 million into securing votes and all we get is a Climate Conversations survey from National Dialogue on Climate Action. Open until 9th September. They do allow free form comments.

https://climateconversations.citizenspace.com/decc/climate-conversations-2022/

Advertisement