Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another massive Electricity Bill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Quick bit of maths might be useful to put the bill and the electricity use in context

You've used 1068 kWh (units) in 65 days of 18 hours and 340 units in 65 nights of 6 hours

That's a constant daytime load of 900W which is massive ... a semi-d house of 6 of us with everyone at home and $DEITY knows how many computers, televisions, electric cooking, cleaning, etc has an average load closer to 3-400W (admittedly we use gas for water heating, but still).

Your load only dips to 800W during the night hours - so there's a massive constant drain on your power ..

800W is your microwave on full power, constantly. The kettle runs at maybe 3000W for a few mins tops - so unless you're averaging a fresh boil every 10 mins or so, it won't be that ..

Do you have a load of those halogen uplighters on 24/7 ? 6 to 8 of those would pull 800W, but you'd have sunburn from them in an apartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,591 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Gooser14

How do your current usage figures compare with those for the same period in previous years?

With regards to the bill you posted you seem to be getting a discount of 5.5% which is the Electric Ireland regular discount rate. Their current discount rate for new customers is 30%. You should be speaking to EI to see whether you can be put on their 30% discount plan & failing that you need to switch supplier as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Dont think so, theres a boiler press, a dial with wordingvsaying hot water above it and a switch saying hot water boot above that, both of these switches are turned off since we moved in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,946 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Do you have a load of those halogen uplighters on 24/7 ? 6 to 8 of those would pull 800W, but you'd have sunburn from them in an apartment.

TBH, 1st thought that crossed my mind when I saw 1400 units usage, was someone's running a grow light or 5 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Question I have is why on earth are you not on a discounted rate?

That alone will save you 20%-25%

It takes about three minutes.

But something else is causing high use. And it's either hot water or heating as they are the big uses.

Literally turn everything off. Plugs out. Even the fridge.

Then see if the wheel is turning on the meter.

It's the daytime use that is the issue.

You have used 130 daytime units in 7 days at a unit cost with no discount.

Something is causing this and possibly a storage heater

And on that subject, if you read up on how to use storage heaters correctly, it will save you a fortune.

Yes

Now, not everything has a plug clearly - storage heaters, immersion, hob/oven, showers being the main ones. But if its something with a plug this should let you find it.

• Advertisement

Nope candles most of the time, and bathroom light.

He is getting discount on his day units but it is only 5.5%. The posted bill is showing a total cost €340.58 for day & night units & a saving of €18.73. €18.73 is 5.5% of €340.58. If he was on the EI current new customer discount rate of 30% his savings would be €102.17. Big difference.

Interesting, I think I remember the agent saying I'd have to wait till September to avail of that, I'll check again Monday, thanks.

As additional info, the 30% discount for new customers was introduced in early June this year. It was 26% prior to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There's something very wrong here, I wouldn't be focusing on the cost - I know that's an issue, but it's getting to the root of why so many Kw are being used will solve that. 340 night rate units used over 65 days is 5.2 Kw per night. I'm on the low end of usage but today for instance I used 6kw which covered cooking dinner, running the washing machine and the tumble dryer, immersion on for 45 mins as well as smaller items such as lights and TV.

To be using 5kw per night means something with high energy usage. To use 16Kw per day as your bill would average out at would be both of you taking a 15 min shower using electric shower, running the cooker, dishwasher, multiple washes in the washing machine and throwing on a tumble dryer for a couple of hours every day.

I would wonder if your meter is hooked up to another apartment as well as your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

OP, find the trip switch for the apartment, it should be part of the fuse board. Turn off all power to the apartment for say half an hour. Go and watch the meter while the power is off. If the meter is still clocking up units then some other apartment is connected to your meter.

Yeh, it's pretty messed up, and stressful. Maybe something I'd need to check out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭NiceFella

Do you ever have hot water in the taps? Could be the boiler causing the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Try a first principles, logical approach.

Turn off everything you're aware of (including lights & fridge/freezer & chargers & anything on standby) and look again at the meter that "should be" yours. The wheel should be stopped but I suspect it won't be. Then turn on an electric kettle to see if the wheel either starts to turn or speeds up considerably. If the kettle has an effect then you'll know that your apartment is indeed connected to that particular meter.

If it's definitely your apartment's meter but it's still turning when all your stuff is off then I think there are 2 possibilities -- either something else is connected to your meter, thereby drawing extra current, OR there is a fault that is drawing current but not tripping anything. In both cases you need an electrician to verify.

• Advertisement

I'll test that again in the next one or two days thanks.

It is difficult to compare usage between different houses. I'm a rural user with EI on a day/night meter & for my last billing period of 61 days from 28 May I used a total of 1169 units (691 day & 478 night). When I compare these figures for the same period last year I used slightly less this year. My bill for the 61 days, after the 30% discount & €50 sign on credit, came to €226.88. I know we are high usage.

I'll be doing another reading later on in the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Do it at the same time as last night.

I don't have day & night meters and use 11 to 14 units per day for a 4 bed house with electric hob and oven used every day, showers, tumble dryer, power tools, you name it. Concentrate on total units used first. The discounts etc can wait.

The discounts can be signed up for in less than 3 minutes and will bring immediate 25%+ savings. SSE seems to offer the best option currently.

Then the OP has to put a reminder on their phone to switch again next August and again the following August. I'd be switching immediately as in this morning and get that really easy element of a large saving out of the way now. Looking at the previous payments by the OP, there is something wrong here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's also worth considering that the break contract fee is only €50. If changing plans early will save you more than that then there isn't much point in waiting for your renewal period

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

€50 us no longer a barrier to switching early, but it's worth keeping an eye on the t&c 's around cashbacks as I think EI have a claw back clause in their contracts.

I appreciate that but his biggest concern right now is his consumption. Even getting a better discount doesn't solve his still paying more than would seem reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Im in the same boat op. My new bill came in for 380 euros. And we were away for 2 weeks out of the 2 months!! Im going to have a look at my meter. Also im going to cut down the electric shower usage. Kids are always in it.

I forgot to ask if your consumer unit (fuse box) has any RCD (Residual Current Device) components installed

or, does it just have simple overload protection?

The former reacts to quite small current leaking to earth, the latter simply breaks the circuit when the current limit has been reached.

• Advertisement

To be honest I don't think the average consumer will know what that is.

I agree with you, I'm just focusing on the possibility of a wiring malfunction that's going unnoticed.

Is his biggest concern the high consumption figure? I have reread his posts & I can't find any reference to his consumption increasing. I haven't seen a comparison with his consumption for the same/similar billing period for the previous years. So has his consumption increased or are the higher bills simply a combination of multiple price increases & the poor discount plan he is currently on.

The claimed consumption (which is given in details and is incredibly, albeit admittedly unusually, low) could not add up to the actual meter readings.

There is quite clearly something wrong with the figures on the meter. Be it the meter (unlikely, under-reads are more common on mechanical meters), the flat the meter is connected to, a single device using huge amounts, etc.

The meter readings are many, many times what they should be for the usage they are saying they make. This it the primary cause of their high bills. Their poor tarrif is a lesser contributor.

Electric shower is a massive user of energy. Its about 8 units per hour. A 10 minute shower will cost you 1.5 units. At 30c a unit inc vat, that almost 50c per shower per day.

And everyone should double check that they are getting a 25%-35% discount on standard rates. If you have not negotiated or changed supplier in the past 12 months it will take you 3 minutes to save hundreds. All you need is mprn number, bank details and meter reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

If the taps never have hot water then it must be hour long electric showers. If its 2 people it could be 2 x 30÷ minute showers.... that could be half the daily consumption right there.

Any extension leads going out an open window?

Sorry but none of that makes sense or has any semblance of reality about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I just left it and it will even out. How did you pay 2.50 more, how much was the low usage charge?

8.63 c/day and only applies to Electric Ireland; and its gone now anyway.

Before putting a permanent dehumidifier, a router, remote heating and lighting controls etc in a holiday house I had to pay it... for a single bill til I decided to never use EI there again! Daily usage is now high enough even when I'm not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭tvjunki

How do you heat water for the sink? Cheaper to heat water on an immersion to fill the water tank than heating a kettle. You must have a timer somewhere we’re your water is stored and check to see if that is on.

Ignore the red number in your reading as it is not a full unit. Take a reading same time over the next few days. See who you get on with your usage.

You could be paying electric for another apartment . Someone could have tapped into your supply. Turn everything off. See if the meter still turns when everything is off.

Only put the washing machine on the cheaper rate times 11pm and 7 am. You have a link there of the timer plug. Plug in your washing machine and set it to come anytime between 11pm and 7 but wash complete before 7am.

With standard day/night meters the NightSaver tariffs apply between midnight and 9am during Irish Summer Time & 11pm to 8am during winter time.

https://www.electricireland.ie/news/article/all-you-need-to-know-about-the-nightsaver-meter

Post edited by Gooser14 on

Thanks for the tips we have no hot water except the shower and what we boil for tea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

You should have hot water in the taps.Something is very wrong there.

• Advertisement

Only there a year.

Not if they're not heating it they shouldn't. Nothing wrong. Just not turned on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Sorry.This is true.But a 400eur bill makes little or no sense then.

We have an old house with 5 people, immersion but no electric shower, and the bill is 180-200 eur the last 4 months.That is a per month bill mind you.

The difference may be in the plans we are on, but it seems a bit extreme that an apartment would be coning out the same.

True. Regardless of plans their night units alone are higher than our daily usage. Something is in somewhere, there's an issue with the meter or somebody else is benefitting. Even then, as it's summer with no heating, it doesn't explain the usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

• Advertisement
Advertisement