Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving the Civil Service

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

To be fair to your bosses or as you refer to them as "the fat cats" they definitely have their finger on the pulse.

A few posts from you on this thread had shown that.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

The best thing to do if you're being bullied is to write everything down and go to a solicitor.

You should make a complaint but Civil service HR treat bullying as a trivial matter; the best they'll do is move you to a new section.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I make no apologies for being blunt here but I don't think you are in the right mindframe for work of any kind judging by your posts.

Have you thought about going out on sick leave for a while to sort a few things out with yourself and your living situation etc. and then maybe go back to work when you are in a better frame of mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Avenger2020

This is horrific. I come to ask for advise about leaving the Civil Service due to bullying at work. Not just quitting and going broke. I have a child to feed. I get told I am not in the right mind frame and should be on sick leave and that it is all a “wind up”. I hope you’re happy with yourselves.

shows how much this country cares about mental health and bullying’s impact on it.

I have been seriously defamed at work in the CS and bullied by management. I have several other Civil Servants confine in me that the same happened to them. They never spoke out. I did here. Look what is happening.

the “fat cats” in the CS make the papers weekly when they discuss CS salaries. Read a newspaper.

This entire thread shows that she who speaks out about bullying will only be bullied more! Down to every last detail in what I have said and the bully will be applauded!!! Oh life. Metoo is over. I feel sorry for anyone honestly trying to make a living. Horrific. I hope you’re happy with yourselves. Saying I’m sick. Horrific. Shows the CS for what it is to the core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

fwiw I’m not a civil servant. It’s weird you assume everyone trying to give you advise you won’t take is

You are not just complaining/talking about being bullied.

You are complaining that your bosses can work from home. You are complaining that they do so when they have children to mind. You are complaining if they own property near where they work. You are calling them fat cats. You are saying none of them care that you are homeless. None of this is anything to do with bullying. What other people have or have not is nothing to do with you and your situation.

You seem very stressed judging from your posts. And that's fine. We all get stressed at times. And sometimes people need a break from things to be able to sort out the stress. I've a good friend who took two months off because he was stressed. Made him up so it did. If you want to things to get better you need to sort yourself out first. Sort out your stress, sort out your housing situation etc. and then worry about work.

I would like to apologise to the public here that I did not go into the details of my bullying publicly here on this public forum. Lets talk about me and my experience here openly then. Lets cross examine me. Ask me what you want. What I was wearing. How I behaved.

Facts are I was yelled appalling abuse in front of colleagues. All my work equipment was stollen from me so I couldn’t work. I was slapped on the back of my head, throw out of my office and told he never wanted to see again when a deadline was approaching so Id miss the deadline. Threw papers and books at me as I was leaving. Consistently saying I was useless. Saying people below my grade could do my work. For months prior to that he had been gaslighting me and removing me from projects. Taking my work and giving it to my Same grade equivalent so it looked like he did it. Leaving me out of team meetings so I looked completely stupid. I asked for his help he wouldn’t give it. After, he would cc’ everyone on the email that he refused to clear and say publicly i made s mistake. If I brainstormed during meetings and offer innovative suggestions he would laugh and cut me off. When I finally qualified as an accountant he snapped. I got better results than him. I dunno. But I am thankful that for that day he threw me out violently as it woke me up. He now has his managerial mates constantly monitoring me if i make the slightest error I get pulled. U go up against one of these guys u go up against them all. He took a dislike to me. I dunno why. Everyday I ask myself why. He made me feel completely worthless with the words he said. Even publicly in front of colleagues. How he would never help, took my computer screen even so I couldn’t work. Constantly saying im useless. When prior to that I have written proof I was excelling. Your man was new he didn’t know the system and can’t handle pressure. Pity its my career that got in his way. All the badmouthing about me. At least thankfully the pmds isn’t just between managers anymore. Someone told me before it used to stay between managers and they could say anything they wanted without proof.

opening a bullying case, people said to me that no one will win out of it. I now see thats true. I relive absolutely every minute detail publicly and I have to go into it again in much more details showing emails and all to HR. My advice if you’re being bullied don’t speak out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Woah aveneger, if he did slap you that is assault and is a very serious matter so I would go to a solicitor if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Clearly spoofing.

• Advertisement

So, after all that you still haven't put in a complaint to HR? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

FFS a wind up

Is there anywhere you go where you aren't bullied, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

How long has this been going on ?

You should start by recording everything . Write everything down . You have to prove that what is going on is persistent. Only when you have a record indicating inappropriate behaviour against you over a prolonged period of time should you consider a solicitor. Get a solicitor that is not connected in any way to your employment .

Most colleagues won’t support you when it comes down to it as most employees want a quiet life .Most are up to their tits in debt and won’t put their future prospects in jeopardy . Most will support the aggressor . Seen it happen repeatedly .

If you have access to one , become a member of a trade union . Become an active member and let it be known that you are involved.

Go to the media as a last resort . Aside from it probably being against your terms of employment , there are only a few people who you could rely on to give your opinion a fair reporting. Perhaps only one or two in the entire industry.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

60 complaints of bullying in the Civil service over the past few years - some departments seem hit more than others - maybe this might help you Avenger

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sixty-complaints-of-bullying-and-sexual-harassment-made-in-state-departments-1.4867612

Thanks caviardreams. That article illustrates my point exactly:

“It found that 7.9 per cent of workers had been bullied. The figure for public sector workers was higher, 10.5 per cent of these workers reported being bullied, compared to 6.9 per cent of private sector workers.”

This study also showed that only 20 per cent of those affected by bullying used a grievance procedure at their place of work, said Ms Connolly.

The sad fact is that most people I know in here who had to deal with bullying and bad management simply left on career break, as was suggested by a previous poster. This would mean that figures are probably way higher than that.

Furthermore, it is hard to make a workplace grievance when management tend to stick together against staff.

Post edited by Avenger2020 on

"the last comprehensive study of all Irish workers took place in 2007"

that's what you're quoting, i think it relevant to be clear

we arent informed if this was self-reported or actual recorded findings of bullying

we are given no stats as to how many of the 60 complaints were upheld

my experience with actual bullying is that it happens across grades and far from always from manager to staff

actual bullying from a manager ive seen tends to be down to communication style that isnt addressed and the best way to do this is formal, evidenced complaints handled throught the process.

my experience with bullying -complaints+(observed, ive neither made nor had any formal nor informal ever made against me) is that they do tend to come from people who dont seem to be able to take instruction from their manager, who often dont want to follow through because they arent very sure of their case and who, when they see the procedures to be followed decide they cannot make the accusation stick.

if your case is anything like what you describe you should go the formal route- otherwise you're just having a vent and you really shouldnt pretend otherwise.

hr are there to see policy enacted and procedures followed on all sides and to ensure that the business continues to function, not to drive complaints that from the outside are usually a case of both parties failing to communicate brilliantly with each other.

an accusation of bullying is a serious thing to be taken seriously and its correct and fair that its as thorough and clinical a process as eg disciplining somone for poor performance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

If you were assaulted it is a criminal matter. Straight to the Garda and get a good solicitor . From your posts, it seems clear cut as you explain it. Solicitor will probably work pro bono on the basis of payout if you take a civil case.

Slapping some one is not bullying, it’s assault.

if it was me and someone slapped me on the back on the head….I would be ensuring the full extent of the criminal and civil law played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Construction workers would like to say hello.

Seriously, how are things supposed to improve if only 1 in 5 people can be bothered to engage in the grievance procedure?

If you are being bullied, report it. How else will it get fixed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I think the cop yourself on button should be pressed here

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭delboy85

@Avenger2020

I've been reading this thread for a while now and I honestly don't know what to say.

Assuming that what you are saying is true, I have a lot of sympathy for you to find yourself in this situation. Does bullying go in the Civil Service? Of course it does (as it does in the private sector). But having worked in the Civil Service for the past 20 years (and the private sector before that) I think the protocols to deal with such matters are far more robust in the Civil Service.

The fact that you are unwilling to raise the issue with your HR or go to your union makes me less sympathetic (especially when making threats to go to the press).

My advice to you is to raise a case with HR (and forget what your colleagues are saying). Your situation is not going to change otherwise. If you tell HR about your situation you will have a good chance of being moved to a different section.

And I know this may seem harsh, but from some of your posts above you are coming across as your own worst enemy.

I genuinely hope things improve for you. But please raise a case with your HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,977 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Totally agree with the last poster.

Also, your organisation almost certainly has access to an Employee Assistance Programme. Refer yourself to it.

Do not think that running away from the Civil Service will solve your problems. If anything the private sector will be a lot more more demanding in their expectations that you do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

The reason for the low uptake of the procedure may be those implementing it . Bullying is endemic in some parts of the PS and CS and it takes many forms , some of which you won’t ever encounter in the private sector . e.g. politicians with batshit crazy proposals that have to be entertained .

. Those tasked with sorting out some of these issues will side with the aggressor .

That's not always the case. I joined the public service last year and there's no culture of bullying in any of the areas I have any interaction with. In fact there's a culture of reporting issues if they arise. That too can be a negative because it's got to the stage where a manager can hardly say boo to a staff member without getting reported.

If I was being bullied, I'd report it. If it was dismissed, I'd report the next incident of bullying and so on. Eventually it would be sorted out. And if it wasn't being sorted out after multiple reportings, I'd send a solicitor's letter to HR. There's no way anyone should have to put up with bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I agree with some of your take BattleCorp - in some cases (not this thread) employees can report a colleague for bullying just because they don't get their way on a few business decisions or on a policy decision, and claim things like "I suggested X and it got turned down, I'm being bullied". These complaints still need to be investigated and the procedures need to be robust to counter situations where the finger is pointed without there being any bullying. You have to think of cases where an innocent person may be reported wrongfully too because a colleague is jealous or insecure.

It's the flipside of the examples cited in this thread but still happens.

Advertisement