Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roaming 48 network in UK/Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

With Vodafone PAYG do you have to top up by 20 euro to first activate the sim or can it be done for a fiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I dont think it's as simple as that, I've been in Spain for two weeks now and it's worked perfectly for me, simply by using the 48 toolkit. Earlier this summer I was in both London and Belfast and had a terrible time, dropping connections multiple times a day despite manually entering apn settings, having tried the toolkit beforehand.

The apn settings doesn't fix things in all instances

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭robwen

Is this a recent issue?

I've been to Spain & the UK in the last few months & all worked fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

I think in some countries where 3G is already turned off and you can only get 2G from 48month forget about using internet at all. For the EU countries that should have at least 3G from 48month you may get internet or you may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

I am also curious about this. Someone said you can order a VF SIM card for free and then just use the addon but looking at their website this doesn't seem to case and you have to sign up for 20E prepaid offer minimum to even get a SIM card in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just went through this process for my wife who is currently in France and had no data but it’s now working.

the following is what you do for an iPhone XR:

go to settings>mobile data>Mobile data network> In APN type in 48months.liffeytelecom.com leave username and password blank.

Then scroll down and input: 

MMS- 48months.liffeytelecom.com.

MMSC-

MMS Proxy- I deleted this info in case it’s particular to the phone account

Username : Blank/not set

Password : Blank/not set.

i will be in Spain in two weeks and I’m on 48 also so I asked what was the story for me (iphone8). The customer support guy posted a different set of instructions but my chat window has now gone so I can’t post them here.

The handset type seemed to matter.

The customer support on the app is actually quite good.

Just for others who have had problems with roaming, on my last trip to the UK it wouldnt work and that was the third occasion it happened (Belgium & Portugal before it). So once it didnt work I bought a Lyca mobile sim in Stanstead Airport for £25 to solve the problem. Got home and on to 48 chat and after some back and forth they credited my account with four months membership (32 euro). They tried to get away with just three months but I wasnt having it, I wanted my costs covered or else it was a complaint to Comreg. Once Comreg was mentioned they relented and agreed to four months.

So if you find yourself high and dry abroad just go and buy a sim, photograph the receipt and get the money back off them as credit when you get home. No point in entering and re-entering APN settings in the vague hope they might work, if they dont work off the bat then they are not going to work.

Good to know muahahaha.

I had to put in APN setting twice on my wife’s phone and it did work in the end but what a load of shite to be honest! Shouldn’t have to do that.

yeah each time Ive done the APN stuff Ive made 5 or 6 attempts with some variations of re-booting the whole phone but it still hasnt worked. So when the same crap was happening for the 3rd trip abroad in a row I just said fcuk this and bought a sim so I didnt have the stress of having no data while trying to navigate Londons public transport.

It really is a load of sh1te, roaming has worked flawlessly on other networks for 20+ years so this mess by 48 is a joke. They say they will have it repaired by September so lets see. My first problem with it was October last year so its taking them long enough which doesnt inspire confidence. Im abroad again in October and if its still not working after a few APN attempts I'll be doing the same and buying a local sim and then claiming the cost of it off them when I get back home.

• Advertisement

Yeah they’ll only have 4g available in the EU from September which is a pain for hotspotting your tv android box in a hotel if ya get me!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannijuno

it doesnt work, even if you keep messing around with their settings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

Well it did for me and two other 48 users who were with me.

Good for you, glad it did. Didnt work for me and neither for anyone that was with me as well and that was on three seperate trips. Spain, UK and Italy. Following all 48 guidelines and nothing.

It’s working at the moment for me and the missus in Spain.

Pain in the arse having to mess with the settings though.

Post edited by tom1ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭robwen

There looking for feedback on your recent roaming experience on there website. No harm filling it in may help with improvements..

https://48.ie/survey

The APN settings they give seem to work for some but not for others, its pot luck as to what happens and like the toss of a coin. It might even be handset dependent as I couldnt get it working in Portugal yet others have, I spent 1.5 hours with them on chat with multiple fixes to get it working and it still wouldnt roam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

It's not the APN settings really I think, it's the Sim profile that's being used.

When in most of Europe, it needs to be the Belgacom profile. The Sim should automatically switch to this because the vast majority of people wouldn't have a clue (and shouldn't need to) about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I wonder will people jump ship more as travel has resurfaced. I assume a lot who moved to 48 was during covid abd the roaming issue didn't come to light.

Thats what I did, I jumped ship. Went to eir but I'm looking to move again, eir are hit and miss. I was very happy with 48, the only issue i had with them was roaming. I travel a lot so roaming is a pretty big deal !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Was Eir hit and miss for Roaming? I always found Vodafone great for roaming. I travel to the USA, UK and France a lot and Vodafone never let me down.

I had eir and we're hit or miss so went to postmobile who were great but data speed has dropped a lot. Thinking of lyca

Yes , eir was very hit and miss unfortunately . Data and connections kept dropping with roaming all the time , not reliable at all. I rang eir support and they said its an issue they are aware of and they cant do anything about it.

Luckily, I had a 3 sim and that worked flawlessly. €20 p/m is a bit pricey though when taking into consideration there are others for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm in Spain currently and not working for me, and I'm pretty used to farting around with APNs to get it to work.

If you like 3, then there's a wide range of options eg lyca, tesco, virgin.

lyca apparently has 5g now so i'm thinking of them as well .. do you know anyone on them?

No one but you can order the sim with one month at tenner, then port after so at least you can give it a try before porting for cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Going to UK. What would anyone suggest is done to keep connection now after none in Portugal or Scotland last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

I have tried on several occasions in the UK but roaming just does not work 48 help then suggests a new sim but no difference bloody he'll! so frustrating if it does not work in September I am changing.

BTW Is anyone here on three

Irl and does roaming work. Tnx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Buy a Lebara sim for UK great value

Advertisement