Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

"A thriller on the opening day - just what everyone wanted"

Speak for yourself fletch, I wanted 4-0 and to fall asleep on the couch in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Reminds me of Leeds game a few years back on the first day, we just need to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He fell over when he felt the touch by Trent, Trent should learn from that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If that's a free kick the goal should have been a free kick out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The type of performance they’ll try next week and get pinged off the pitch and lose 2-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

So just fall over and you will get a cheap freekick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Fúck off Trent, on his heels again and then pushes Mitrovic over.

Nunez looks a real handful, he just needs minutes now to calm himself down and make things a little less frantic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

5 mins. Let's do this!

• Advertisement

Blow it up ref, I'd take the draw.

There was more contact on Trent for the goal than there was there ref has bought it hock line and sinker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hendo off the bar deep in injury time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Harvey and Darwin have been fantastic since coming on. Diaz did well too. Not sure what happened to the rest of them but they got the result they deserved.

Awful result

Good draw, proper PL game.

Fulham will cause a lot of clubs grief this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Bloody crossbar. FFs

So Fulham waste 2 minutes in injury time and he adds 40 seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Rubbish. Absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Let's be real they will be lucky to stay up.

Well deserved draw for them though.

• Advertisement

They really will not Liverpool turned up expecting an easy game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Fulham were very good, take a draw and move on. We're clearly another week or 2 from hitting out stride which is to be expected with the early season...great to see Nunez off the mark.

Positives: Nunez/Salah/Elliot.

Negatives: Terrible passing/TAA caught again/Thiago injury/Midfield performance, we still look short a quality midfielder/Our defence is going to come up against better players than Mitrovic.

Any injuries, even short term ones are going to be more costly this year than others because of congested fixtures before and after WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

You would take nothing but 3 points before the game but we were 2nd best for long parts of that game.

The penalty killed the little bit of momentum we had after Nunez equalizer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Such a poor performance for us. No point trying to put the pressure on when we go a goal down.

Maybe 6 or 7 years ago but drawing away to a new promoted side in a half full stadium, Is not good enough when your probably looking for 90 points to win the league, Very disappointing result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Poor performance, weak ref, good point in the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

We were poor enough for most of the game but always tough playing a decent promoted side on the first game of the season, like a cup final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Not a bad result considering how poor we were for most of the game. Sick of getting the newly promoted champions every season on the opening day.

• Advertisement

Will take the point after such a poor display. Weird game. We were crap for the most part but could easily have scored 6 goals. We never matched Fulham's energy for long spells.

Some major worries though. Injuries are mounting already Is it 7 players out now? And our injury prone players are not going to stop being injury prone. Thiago is great but probably out again now for another spell.

Some concern over what Bobby has left in the tank now as well. Not sure you'd want him starting too many games from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

That'll be a draw that will be regretted come the end of the season. Against a team many have as being relegated come next May. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Awful draw . One of worst 60mins I've seen from us and despite that still scored 2 , hit the post twice and gift them a peno so I don't think Fulham were good in 2nd half.

Liverpool were way off and it's clear that a forward line of Firmino instead of Mane is not going work. Thiago injured and Trent performance a big concern when James miller is coming on to steady the ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Same last year again Brentford and lost by a point.

Suppose it is what it is, can't really complain after the last 5 years. Lad beside me in the pub shouting klopp out at half time was a tough second half with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I thought Diaz was decent too, especially in the first half...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Frustrating result but we were so awful for an hour a draw doesn’t feel that bad.

On the plus side, Nunez looks a real handful and will cause teams all sorts of problems. He’s a great player to have, because, like Fulham today, teams have seen that if you don’t give Liverpool time to settle you can get joy out if it. Nunez allows us to be more direct and gives defences a lot to think about.

Fulham were very good but they were allowed to look it by our lethargic midfield. We were bullied quite easily today too. I bet most of the performances we see from them this season will be nowhere near as good as today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

It's only the opening day. Expecting perfection because of what City, and soon to be Newcastle, are doing is unrealistic and just normalises what they're at. The all-conquering Liverpool sides of old randomly dropped points plenty of times - that's what's normal.

Even Southampton took 4 points from City last season. It happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Positive was Nunez, he looked a menace.

Was always going to be a tough game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Midfield a serious issue already with Thiago going off. He plays about half the games in a season, similar issue with Keita previously and I doubt that will change this year. I know they have their reasons for not strengthening further, whatever they may be, but this seems like it will be a recurring talking point this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Very disappointing obviously but lucky to get the draw.

I don't like the look of Nunez at all if I am honest but he keeps scoring. I couldn't understand why he tried that backflick for the first chance instead of just burying it then he tried it for the goal and it only worked because the defender hit it off him.

I do wonder how much Thiago fancies it when things aren't going our way sometimes. We have to get another body in there. One strain and we are reaching for Elliott and Carvalho.

Anyway, trying to think of positives. Salah came into it a bit more in the second half.

That heel flick looked like something him and Mo worked on; tbf to him he got it to work.

He was probably our best player today too.

• Advertisement

If there was contact for the penalty it must have been very very little. Replaying and slowing it down and it's still not clear how much there was. But sure that's the way it is these days. Leave a lazy leg dangling and you're inviting the player to go down and a decent chance it will be a pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I know many are calling for it, but I really can’t us buying another midfielder in this window. If we have a target lined up (Bellingham, you’d hope, but there could be someone else) then we might try to lay the groundwork for a deal in the next few weeks with a view to completing the signing in January at the earliest, but we’ve all been here before with FSG. Signing a replacement to cover an injury crisis (and this one is nowhere near as bad as the one in 2020/21) is just not how they operate.

We still have Henderson, Fabinho, Elliott and Milner. While it definitely leaves us short of options, it might mean we can operate a 4-2-3-1 with Hendo and Fab, Bobby in the 10 and Nunez up front.

Just don’t get your hopes up of a signing, is my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Penalty given today is just rewarding lads for throwing themselves on the floor. As long as you continue to reward it, you'll continue to see it. It's an embarrassment to the game and makes it difficult to watch. Grown men faking contact all over the pitch. Can't believe there is no effort to get rid of it.

Poor performance today. Midfield as predicted is a worry. Relying on injury prone players to stay fit. Asking for trouble. Can't expect to compete at the very very top with it. Very surprised it was not addressed

Nunez looks so raw but causes havoc he could have scored 4 today, he just needs time. To settle and he'll be unreal

I worry about Diaz I have done for a while he is a brilliant footballer but we need numbers from him or he will become very frustrating, Salah & Mane have set such a high bar for wide players being ruthless its a hard act to follow but vital to our style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

The first heel flick had me raging at Nunez - shades of Robbie Keane versus Atletico in 2008. He could had scored 3 goals today but for a couple of poor decisions.

Tbf it's not a purchase to solve an injury crisis.

It's more to solve the long-standing problem of having five senior players for three positions, two/three of which are very injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

You’d drive yourself mad talking about the league after one game.

We’ll drop more points, City will drop points. See where both teams are in January. I do think where we need to improve this year is in games against the top 4, got very little out of those last year.

What's that based on?

Only city took more points against top 6 last year than us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The midfield definitely needs a refresh alright. I think the fact that we got Milner for another 12 months actually cost us a new signing though, if FSG are as numbers-oriented as we’re led to believe. He brings an awful lot off the pitch which benefits the squad, but yeah I’d also have loved to seen a new face in the midfield this season.

I just don’t think it’s going to happen at this stage, especially without a pre-season to bed them in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement