Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,861 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

But if she got to grips with the attacker... there doesn't seem to be any evidence of it. Not under her fingernails. Nor blood spilled by anyone else. That might be just down to the nature of the attack \ outside \ keystone cops.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

But if they were able to identify Sophie's blood then they would have been able to identify other blood as alien, if there was any.

As I recall the only alien dna found was on her left boot, everything else found was Sophie's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭saabsaab

That's odd indeed. Were the tests comprensive enough? Was the attacker(s) weraring gloves, coat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think from a legal point of view this doesn't matter as it doesn't lead to a conviction, and only fuels further speculation. It wouldn't even matter if Sophie and Bailey had a secret affair, it would just be for the tabloids to write about. An affair doesn't prove murder.

I often thought, why Sophie would have flown to Cork rather than taking the ferry? Taking the ferry would allow for taking a car and since the house was remote and in the country, a car was necessary. In winter I would understand it, rough seas, etc, but in summer it would have been more practical for her to drive and take the ferry to Ireland, and not having to pay for a rental car especially if the stay at her house was a longer one. However I don't think that money mattered too much to Sophie.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't prove much other than Bailey lied if it's true.

Shortest ferry Roscoff to Cork present day is 15 hours, Roscoff is at least 5 hours from Paris, so 24 hours door to door give or take.

Not practical at all if money was no object.

After more than 25 years gone, it's more than hard to prove a lie. If push came to shove, it's just one word against the other. And whether you've met somebody, dated somebody, had an affair with somebody simply doesn't prove murder at all.

The only thing it could prove is that Sophie would have most likely been inclined to open the door to Bailey at some unsocial hours if she knew him well, like in the middle of the night.

There are lot's of reasons why one would prefer the ferry to the airplane. If time isn't a concern, one has virtually unlimited options for baggage, plus one would have one's car whilst in Ireland which is an advantage in any rural place.

Incidentally, I think the Roscoff to Cork ferry is only in summer, it's Cherbourg to Rosslare all year round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭chicorytip

If she was able to fly from France direct to Cork Airport it would make far more sense to do that.

Tha author of the Indo piece is Senan Moloney so you treat it's contents with caution on that basis. He is "anti-Bailey" and convinced of his guilt so what he writes is not unbiased or impartial and may not be accurate.

It's probably another author wanting to cash in on this murder and sell his books.

Regarding the ferry vs. the plane, it's hard to say. I actually always enjoyed the ferry as I had unlimited bagage plus my own car at the end of the trip if time wasn't a factor. For a two week trip, I'd say it's entirely possible she may have taken the ferry at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭nc6000

That Roscoff-Cork route was also only once a week and only ran during the summer so not much use for a short trip around Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Money wasnt an issue for Sophie. I cant see her taking a long ferry trip when she could travel to Ireland on a quick flight. She could then pick up a hire car from the airport.

Now of course she could have taken a ferry at some stage. Dining with Bailey on a ferry does seem a stretch though. For this to be true both Sophie and Bailey both would have been travelling alone I assume. I understood Sophie never travelled alone to Cork before December 1996.

I wonder did Bailey ever travel to or from France and for what purpose?

It's probably imagination of the author of the book then.

The contents of Sophie's house doesn't lead to suggest she ever brought an awful lot of things over from France.

I don't think Bailey did a lot of travel ever since moving to Ireland.

I think I've written that. It's highly unlikely that she met Bailey on the ferry, either to Cork or to Rosslare. It's known that she flew for that particular trip at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Bloody knew it, all this nonsense about them going to France if they even did go was a box ticking exercise so they could say they followed up on all possible leads. I never really believed they would actively pursue or entertain other leads/avenues because in doing so would mean they got it badly wrong in the first place & really expose their corruption. The one thing about the gards is they will always try and protect their own & save face.

Dodgy witness accounts & statements incoming now & then a dodgy trial to appease the French who put pressure on at the highest possible political level. Now we have a DPP who would gladly bring a trial for anything & think nothing of wasting Irish taxpayers money.

Where has this so called witness been for the last 25 years ffs? Ridiculous but predictable

There is a lot of behavioral evidence the Guards are doing exactly that again.

How long is or was it they went to Paris France to follow up on that lead? I'd say, it's taking an awfully long time.

Checking DNA evidence doesn't take that long.

Or are the French authorities blocking this, as they are afraid, they could lose face and expose their questionable judiciary system?

Id be surprised if they even went. Even if Marie Farrell did say she saw a guy in a photo with DTDP 25 years ago who she saw following Sophie. Is this guy even still alive? he wouldnt be obliged to give DNA evidence. Do people even know where he is? Thats even if Marie Farrell is telling the truth, I think anyone taking the word of Marie Farrell seriously especially after all this time, needs to have their head examined. Shes a loon.

Its a smokescreen imo, they're out to get Bailey at all costs, they obviously want the public on their side too so thats why they're releasing/leaking information to the press saying they are doing this & doing that, but really they are just hoping another nutter comes out of the wordwork and implicates Bailey, then it might be enough to finally get it over the line with a very different DPP.

They have zero DNA evidence & they never had, all this stuff about a block & boot is nonsense. They only have circumstantial & this may be enough to convict as they know a decent proportion of the public really dont like Bailey mainly because of his alcoholism & woman beating antics. Hes an extremely divisive figure. They hope it'll be enough to get the verdict they want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭nc6000

I think that's another example of the DPP telling the Gardai they don't have enough evidence to press charges.

You're probably correct on this.

However, I don't know how much DNA they found on that cavity block or that boot and if it wasn't Bailey's they sure didn't go to France for that one. So they had another guy on their radar screen....

It's just that things are just taking an awful amount of time regarding this trip to France by the Guards, leading me to believe this is just a farce to keep face, re-estabsish some sort of trust of the public in this case.

If the Guards came up with something regarding that trip to France, we'd have heard about it by now.

I also don't think that Bailey would be getting another trial, nor do I think that any trial in this case would be something fair, unless really strong and compelling DNA evidence comes up.

Just wondering, who has more credibility to lose, the French judiciary, or the Irish Guards. I'd suggest the French, they take more pride I'd say.....

I am sure, another writer will come up with another story in a couple of months, trying to sell another book, having seen Bailey somewhere more than 25 years ago. Bailey was seen at an airport, Bailey was seen talking to some dodgy character, Bailey was spotted in a home improvement store trying to buy a cavity block......

They have absolutely zilch in that case, its in no way comparable to the circumstantial evidence they have on Bailey & dodgy witness sightings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What Senan Moloney is saying in this article today is that a witness is claiming to have seen Bailey and Sophie talking together at the Cape Clear Island poetry festival in the summer of 1995. Separately, another witness claims to have seen them together on the ferry from Baltimore which attendees at the festival used to reach the venue.

Yes I understand, but still this doesn't prove murder. If correct, it only proves that Bailey was telling lies regarding him knowing Sophie. More than 25 years have passed, and witnesses are coming forward, all separately. How convenient to write a new book about that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭tibruit

I`m pretty sure that the witness who saw them together at the festival is an ex boyfriend of one of Jules daughters. I haven`t read the article so maybe Maloney states this. Haven`t heard of the other sighting before.

Sorry about that, text didn’t go through,

I was just pointing out the DPP rejected bringing this 24 year old cold case to trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

Much of ado about nothing...

If somebody came out of the woodwork, and said they seen me 25yrs ago on a ferry, or talking to somebody who was later murdered...

I could just deny it... So what?

Where were these witnesses 25yrs ago?

And even if I was on the ferry, or at a poetry bash, so what?

Please don't tell me the investigation is pinning all it's hopes on this??

Realistically, it's not even worth debating.

Bailey may have been on a ferry, been to a poetry covention, been to the moon.... It means nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭saabsaab

No. Any progress will need hard evidence from the scene of the crime.

The problem is, as long as this murder is unsolved, somebody will keep coming along with "new revelations" but in reality wanting to make money with another book.

All of a sudden more than 25 years ago, somebody remembers having seen a strange character in the area, or seen Bailey with Sophie, or even recalling either Bailey or some other dodgy character carrying a rare bottle of French wine. Also some other "new evidence" will come up leading to further speculations.

Incidentally, not even Bailey ever attempted this, like to write a book about the murder, things he knows, or his theory, etc.. and tried to make money off this.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Evergreen_7

Bailey has tried hard to plug his poetry, t shirts and books, best not to be fooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

I believe he's putting a podcast together addressing everything Sophie related.

I suspect it may be distributed like his poetry, as in donations to his artistic work..

Not to sure if he could write a book or not? Doesn't he owe his legal team a shed load of money since his libel cases collapsed?

I'm sure any profits would be taken to service that bill...

• Advertisement

Those reported sighting at the poetry festival aren't new. The Irish Independent, and specifically Senan Maloney, push out a Bailey story every few months, inevitably behind a paywall and inevitably reheating some old nugget as if it's breaking news. They know they can still make money from this murder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement