Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times doing an article on firearms

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

A couple of inaccuracies but not the hatchet job I was expecting to be honest.

I think it was pretty fair for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

First one I have read that I didn't start giving out to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Quote from the article "“Large shotguns and low-powered handguns are simply suited to the job of targeted murder,” a Garda source said."

Was this a Freudian slip or a subtle stab in the back to alarm people by leaving out the word NOT

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd say either the Garda source or the author left out the word 'not'. It would be an idiotic statement without the word 'not' in there.

To be honest, when I first read it earlier today I read it with the word 'not' in the sentence even though it wasn't there. I didn't notice that it was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I must admit,I am pleasantly surprised to read this article,as I figured it would be another "Guns are bad, look at America[slight mention], assault rifles, easy to get a license here, handguns, blood on the streets!!! . Let's ban them all M'kay?".

It read more statistical than hysterical and thankfully the writer didn't suffer any PTSD, like some of his American colleagues do when having to write about firearms.

A few gaffes here and there and as usual the odd non-comparisons between NI and the Republic...but Hey...Let's be thankful for the small mercies that we got this.

Without trying to sound sexist, maybe it's because a man wrote this article,as who wrote the last pro-gun article a couple of years ago...A point to ponder?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭garrettod

The Minister for State really should be top of our list, for a bit of education - plenty of emails etc and he just might learn what a "weapon" actually is...

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭garrettod

As for Conor Gallagher's article, I think it comes across reasonably well - looks like he got to speak with the Gardai, in addition to some of the shooting community, and has helped us take a small step forward, by not labeling us unfairly etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Mississippi.

Yeah, a good enough article.

A "news piece " rather than an "opinion piece".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

As a non hunter/shooter but someone that enjoys the fruits of your labour I thought it was excellent and a win win for your community. Very factual, no triggers (no pun intended). He managed to landscape the scene with the gun owners being passive & the only ones that really know what's best without making a fool of the authorities.

As a sportsperson representing another sport (an extreme sport who's members are vilified when something goes wrong) I can 100% understand the reluctance from community members offering their voice for fear of being misrepresented or your words being twisted. Fair play to the ones that contacted the journalist. You should keep him in your back pocket, he might be handy along with Cass & Grizzly's excellent postings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Wow very little in the way of vilification indeed. Must be a sudden outbreak of common sense happening. Not to worry though, I'm sure there will be a vaccine out soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement