Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for recommendations for a Projector for watching Movies ,€500 budget

Options
  • 14-07-2022 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi ,

I have €500 to spend on a projector to watch movies on.

Any recommends? Haven't a clue where to start. Decent quality picture and low noise would be a great start.

Tips appreciated.

Post edited by The Ritz on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ting Ting

Hi, do you have an idea of how to project, should you first think about the size of your projection venue and choose a long or short focal length projector, then go through your budget and choose which one, have you already purchased a projector?😯

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭monkeyactive

Ting , Since I posted I've been on a journey , a journey of learning and growth.

I started out a naïve boy with a home cinema dream , through trial and hardship that boy became a man , a man spouting wizdom and learned on ANSI Lumens , throw rates , bulb life and Vertical Keystone correction.

I figured out that for me the best move was a short throw , so much more positioning options in my case and I will be closing today on a projector , A nice BenQ that ticks my many boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I bought this yoke a few years ago

Optoma HD142X Full HD 1080p Projector (Full Lights on Viewing 3000 ANSI Lumens, x2 HDMI with MHL Support and Built-In 10 W Speaker) - Black

I'm very happy with it. The built in speaker is a bit weak but I hooked it up to a decent surround sound system.

Wow, sounds like you do have a great learning ability, I know all this knowledge from someone who has been around projectors a lot, it's not easy to master it all, I was also going to discuss with you about recommending a short focal length projector because he is able to display the picture better, requires a little less ambient light, for the throw distance as well, great for families with small children at home, BENQ is great, but I know a budget Superb projector, he is made in the same factory as Philips projectors, can also assemble his own takeaway battery accessories, assemble audio accessories, super compact and portable, lumen contrast ratio is superb, the point is he has two models for the price, one 400+ the other 500+, superb! Perfect for your budget! So I would highly recommend that you take a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Have you got a link to that projector? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

What Model Benq did you go for? Where did you get it and at what price? Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

@Ting Ting

The projector you linked to above quotes 700 ansi lumens, that wouldn’t have a hope in hell of illuminating a 100” screen or anything like it and would need serious light control, a dimmed room, to be any use.

Projectors like these from sites like alibaba or AliExpress are no substitute for a mainstream projector from a reputable maker, Infocus, Benq, Optoma, Epson, Sony etc . A buyer has the chance to pick a bright enough projector for day time use, easy access to replacement lamps if needed and a track record and other enthusiasts across multiple forums who can share advice. I’ve had projectors of almost every technology for over 20 years and wouldn’t consider one of these under any circumstances.

Mod Comment.

I’ve deleted a post you made which was a poorly disguised advertisement. You’re welcome to participate in discussions, but if you try to promote some product or your posts have that appearance you will be banned. There is no room for that here.

Ritz

Hello, about this projector you said no 700 lumens, because he is led projector, so 700 lumens in the room controlled light source situation should be there, led projector required environment we are clear, why recommend him is that although his light source is led, but his projection method is ultra short focus projection, different projection method can bring different effect and convenient, from the price performance ratio is the reason why I want to recommend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

I said that a 700 ansi lumen projector wouldn’t illuminate a 100” screen. The lighting technology or the throw ratio have nothing to do with it. A poor projector choice is still a poor choice, no matter what the price.

I’ll let Boardies make up their own minds about which of us knows more about projectors. I wouldn’t recommend one of these projectors under any circumstances. If you continue to promote one type or model of projector here, other Boardies will draw their own conclusions.

This has strayed too far from the OP, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement