Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Well I'd drop it down to top 4 what did we have 6 draws, definitely affected us, should have bet Chelsea home and away and city at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

We literally just lost the league by a point and the champions league final by a single goal relying on this midfield so you can compete at the top level with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Didn’t win any game against the top 4, though. Should have closed out Chelsea away and had them at home with 10 men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Coming back twice away from home to a full of energy promoted side is fine, we see it every season, how the promoted teams grab a result on opening day. Today Fulham did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

You kind of answered your own question there! If we can match City's record against the top 6 that would be a big improvement. Or even just get closer to their points total against the top 6 would be great, as they were comfortably ahead of us in that regard (20 points vs 15).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Again, why it's a bit dubious/annoying how we get the newly promoted champions on the opening day every season - not even just a promoted side, but the champions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

A miraculous point.

The biggest thing that annoys me? We can't just be thankful that we got out of there with a point, because we're rightly all convinced we need to win every game.

Defence shíte.

Midfield, no control.

We should've lost. But Mo and Nunez were clutch.

20 years ago, we'd all be celebrating an unlikely point and moving on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Really shabby performance.

It LOOKED like the attitude was wrong, LOOKED like the belief was that all we have to do is turn up here and we'll be OK. Not saying that was the attitude, but that's what it looked like, didn't start well and never got it going. Midfield was shocking, Fabinho way off the pace and Thiago and Henderson not much better. It's bad when you have to break the emergency glass for Milner so early in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

That's disappointing. Hard not to draw similarities with Brentford but let's hope the reaction is similar too. I'm sure the players would love to play the next game right now.

• Advertisement

I love Henderson. And I've been dismayed at the abuse.

But he needs to be phased out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He's (Nunez) no Harry Kane though, is he? If Liverpool had Kane ,if only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They have a player who has maybe 3 good seasons left in him that cost £110m+ £350k a week wages instead of having a player who has 10+ seasons in him who cost at most £85m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Maybe I am wrong but do we have a bad record against Silva as manager,not that it is any excuse for today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Leighton Clarkson scored on his debut for Aberdeen.

Also, it has to be said, the decision to start Firmino was a poor one.

Our general attitude meant we didn't play well, but there was no logic to Nunez being benched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

Probably a case of taking a win against Fulham for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That one deserves the Alan Partridge treatment. Foot like a traction engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Was it Atletico or Arsenal? I thought it was Arsenal. Regardless, it was the nail in his coffin as it was an easy goal to score without needing to be fancy about it.

I think Noodler mentioned above that he's unsure about Darwin, but that he keeps scoring. I think I was in the same camp, but have loved that he hasn't hid in the last two games. He seems popular in the group, humble and is willing to work.

I really think we could have a colossus on our hands if everything just falls into place.

I was impressed with Harvey today as well.

To finish, that was a penalty all day and if it was given to us we would be saying nothing. You simply can't make contact of any sort in the box any more. I can completely understand players going down under minimal contact in the box. Now, when it happens out the field I start to question why I bother watching any more.

Apologies if this is a bit erratic, I had a few scoops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Points dropped now count for the same as points dropped in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tbh, I can't be too critical of the Firmino decision. I thought Nunez wasted our best chance and his second was going wide (I think) because until a deflection.

If I could turn back time I'd start Nunez but that's life.

Disappointing as hell to hear Klopp saying we have eight midfielders after the game. That's just not accurately reflecting the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Kane's ego wouldn't allow him anywhere near Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He probably claimed some of the spurs goals today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

some of you should review the thread during the match and ask yourself do I really want to do this, the anxiety, the anger the pain, is it worth it? I mean hell you're all great and welcome but I just wonder would you be happier doing something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Definitely against Atletico in the away game. We were 1-0 up and well on top, Keane had the opportunity to make it 2-0 but tried to showboat instead of just booting the ball into an empty net. Atletico got back into the game and equalised.

Henderson's dip is the biggest issue.

No other midfielder is willing to make the runs he consistently and intensely makes, particularly in attack, but his quality on the ball has dipped alarmingly since his peak.

It's getting harder and harder to carry it in attack.

If you have a problem with fans expressing emotion, maybe football is not the sport for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah but there’s far too much football to be played to even think about what this result means, and even still, today wasn’t a day that we were all over them but didn’t win, it was a match where we were poor and Fulham deservedly got something from it.

If we’re within a point or 2 of top in January we’ll have had a great season to that point and I won’t be thinking ‘if only’ about this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I can't understand this wisdom in not starting Nunez, Firmino offers very little at this stage starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Bobby was so disappointing today

The goals dried up a couple of seasons ago and now his all round game seems to be disappearing,

Jota needs to come back ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Jasus lads it was the first game of the season and against a more than pumped up newly promoted side who were up for it and at it and we weren't, Liverpool sides of old would have lost this 3-1 today! This season is going to be weird and Klopp clearly knows we're not fully ready yet due to the shortened preseason, the fact we have an behind doors friendly against Villa tomorrow says a lot...I expect City to be not at their best tomorrow either as they have had preseason issues too.

Same preseason for everyone, we had more than enough quality to be beating Fulham,

Fulham stadium was half empty due to there biggest stand being closed,

Its an awful result & give us very little wiggle room in the next 2 games,

Winning now become even more Vitali n the next two games Palace at home & United away,

Up until the last few years, dropping points, particularly early in the season wasn’t of to much concern. But the last couple of seasons have shown that the tightest margins separate the winners from the runners up. Fulham are one of the favourites for relegation, Klopp himself was less than happy about the performance, so I’m not sure why some think the fans should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Can't understand the complaints about Nunez flick that the keeper saved at all - it was objectively the right option. The keeper was on top of him and from where he was if he hit it first time there was just nowhere for it to go, so he tried to work the angle with the flick - which he executed perfectly, it just still wasn't enough of an extra angle to get around the keeper. Nothing like the Keane one at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think Nunez is just a fitness thing. Even just after the ~40 minutes he played he looked wrecked, and was struggling to challenge physically after making the runs late on. I'd imagine it'll just take a couple weeks till he's fully up to speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

That’s a bit of a cop out about the attendance… the upper tier of the new stand was closed because it’s not finished… I reckon the attendance today wasn’t far off what the max capacity was before they built the new stand in the first place! Not that it made any difference anyway!

All in all we played sh**e and got away with a draw! Fulham deserved all 3 pts but we nicked one! That’s sport and we move onto next week and go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

The club has had 2 seasons to replace Wijnaldum..

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

You really should take your own advice and wonder if youd be better off doing something else on matchdays if you going to get triggered so easily by people not agreeing that bizzare post you made earlier.

• Advertisement

City dropped 10pts in their opening ten games last season, and still won the League with 93 points. So a draw today means nothing, table takes shape after 5 games, and reveals an insight after 10 games into who is going to do what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

We did it two seasons ago, quite successfully in Thiago, before Gini even left. The problem is that we now need another player for that position as well.

The 2 points lost today, are the same as 2 points lost in March or May,

The league isn't over or anything daft like that its just a poor 2 points to lose

, a poor 2 points

Sometimes it's just the other teams day, and you have to fight for a draw. I don't see it as a reflection of the team, or see the result as a reason to demand signings. With Thiago injured Firmino,or Carvalho in a 4-2-3-1 is viable , but experimenting at this stage is not Klopps style. Milner or Elliott will be used in a 4-3-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It hasn't really been the same preseason for everyone thoough. Liverpool started theirs 2 weeks later than most teams due to giving players extended holidays because of the work load from last season....City did likewise and City only ended up playing 2 preseason friendlies so I expect them to be equally as rusty tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Bad start to the season, but, nothing lost yet. If we go on to win the league it'll be forgotten about, if we lose the league by 1 or 2 points it'll be looked at as one of the games we dropped points in that could have been avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Not the best of starts but could of been worst,the response to this result in next few games is main thing now

I have to say, the VVD memes are tedious. Expected, but tedious.

He wasn't great yesterday, the same as most of the team. But even on the penalty. He did the same thing he always does. He made the striker make a decision. He showed Mitro onto his left side, where Trent came back to cover. Yes, he ever so slightly dangled a leg, but Mitro wasn't touched. In fact, VVD pulled his leg away perfectly. The ref simply bottled it in front of a crowd who wrongly thought decisions were favouring us.

We didn't deserve to win, and actually deserved to lose, but the ref was played, Mitrovic dived and VVD didn't get minced on that one.

Ric the slow-mo does look like VVD missed the ball and hit Fulham player’s knee, it was soft, but Mo would have gone down and shouted for a pen if it happened at the other end. Fair is fair.

And he wouldn't have got the penalty, and he'd have been called a diver for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think yesterday’s result means we have to win our next two. Nothing better than beating Utd to kickstart the season proper.

Was really disappointed in Bobby yesterday. Hopefully the prospect of a World Cup can trigger him into some form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement