Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Admin required] 6 month ban from current affairs, life time ban from after hours?

Options
  • 28-07-2022 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

I recently received a permanent AH ban for an obvious joke.

Can I not get this knocked down to a month AH freeze out?

Obviously made in after-hours style humor.

Review by category mods?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

BTW - I did PM mods of both forums.

On going discussion with Beasty of Current-Affairs in relation to the seeming misunderstanding I'm "sh*t" posting", I'm trying to clarify the seriousness of each topic but making them more approachable/interactive with light hearted segues;

There may also be issue with the posting being "wordy" and difficult to understand?

And Ten of Swords of AH has shut down any appeal, again based on the above joke?? Feels again I'm exclusively "sh*t posting".

For attempting to raise the issue about police and judicial procedure in relation to pimping and violent criminality? (something I'm petitioning the department-of-justice in relation to currently).

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

Nothing forthcoming for the forum moderators by way of PM.

@Pawwed Rig

@ancapailldorcha

Inquiring with category moderators?

In a nutshell I was given a perma-bad from afterhours for making a joke about how I was using google as a research medium to "become a pimp".

This was a response in relation to a question from another user as to how I came across a year old article which I linked in the opening post of that same thread (in relation to pimping in Ireland).

I felt a light hearted joke was more appropriate than outlining it was a result from a search on felonious activity of human traffickers in Ireland; first result that appeared was one gang organizer murdering another gang organizer (by hiring 9 men to beat him to death) for, as best I could gather, stealing his girlfriend.

I guess it just felt more in line with the charter of after-hours to go with the light hearted response.

(it was actually half inspired by another poster @ILoveYourVibes joking about how she was doing research into how to become a prostitute, in response to another thread with a similar'ish theme).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi,

I can look into this for you. Can you forward me all correspondence you've had with the moderator or just post it here please?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I'm okay to post it here publically?

Not violating any rules of disclosing pm contents?

Alright here goes:

Beasty July 23

You are being warned for the following post:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058255717/what-will-it-take-to-drag-irish-culture-kicking-and-screaming-beyond-its-hardcore-catholic-roots

Don't say you were not warned - 6 month ban from Current Affairs for yet another nonsense thread

Sugar_Rush July 24

To be fair I should probably have posted this in after hours.

Beasty July 24

You are likely to be banned from there as well the way you are going

Sugar_Rush July 28

If I may, I may go ahead and raise this in the appeals (worth a shot, right?).

But are you steadfast on this decision?

6 months for a serious thread with comical overtone?

I ask simply because there's further current affairs of sound importance I wish to raise and discuss, including an issue I've been going back and forth with on with the department of justice by way of social media and e-mail.

Are my hands tied here?

Apart from being misconstrued I fail to see where there was fault with my last thread. The thread before that about altercating on the train, fair enough but again, anti-social behavior on Irish rail is a serious national issue currently.

Any room to maneuver here?

Beasty July 28

The problem is you only seem to want to start nonsense threads. And you start many of them. What's the point if letting you back as you do not seem to understand the warnings you have been given

Indeed you have even started threads (2 at least) complaining about not being able to see how many people are viewing a particular forum. It seems you are obsessed with starting threads for maximum exposure rather than discussing things relevant to the particular forum.

What will change?

Sugar_Rush July 29

That's not really the case, not from my point of view.

By example, most recent current affairs thread, it was intended to be an approachable spin on an absolutely serious topic - the Irish current affair, government cultivation of it's "group mindset" or Irelands national culture.

By example, Minister Katherine Martine has just boosted a new endeavor called "night time economy" from 2.4 up to 4 million in funding and changed the entire national protocol for event promotion.

This will make profound lifestyle and therefore cultural changes.

Maybe by "nonsense" you mean, how it's written, difficult to understand in terms of its wording?

Jibberish sounding? (I can get a little "wordy" but I'm working on it).

And the reason I ask about forum hits is cause boards.ie traffic has nosedived in the last year. I'd post else where around boards but the threads would literally die a slow death, zero responses (as is the case with most threads I post outside AH/CA).

I'm honestly just confused about what you guys are calling "nonsense" and "s**t posting", cause to me, the occasional attempt at humor aside, I'm raising very valid topics.'

No further replies were forthcoming.

This was the CA 6 month freeze-out.

• Advertisement

Ten of Swords July 28

You are permanently banned from After Hours

You are being warned for the following post:

Sugar_Rush July 28

Obvious joke.

Really?

Ten of Swords July 28

Yes, really

A word of caution, if you revert back to one of your older accounts in order to post in AH again it will mean a site ban

Kind regards

Final response was being stone-walled so I felt it appropriate to direct further appeals here as further correspondence with the moderator felt futile.

Just FYI, my "older accounts" were closed intentionally, GDPR'd and new accounts opened with permission. Notice was given to moderators or admins on each occasion.

This was due to continuous identification of my SN to me as a person in real life.

This has been less of an issue since introduction of Vanilla as it lacks the history search function whilst incorporating the private profile function.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi Sugar Rush,

Can we stick to just the After Hours ban for this, please? You can appeal the CA/IMHO ban in a different thread.

Thanks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Certainly.

However I do feel it's not improbable there was liaison between both moderators which probably influenced in part the decision in relation to the AH ban.

They both seem to steadfastly share the opinion I post only "nonsense", neglecting the seriousness of each topic behind their comic segues.

But absolutely, I can open a separate thread for the CA ban.

Hi OP,

I've looked into this and I'm going to uphold the moderator's decision. You've been warned multiple times on more than one user account. On the basis, I've concluded that you've been given more than ample chances to improve your posting style.

Let me know if you wish to escalate to admin review.

Warned multiple times in relation to what though?

That's what I'm taking issue with, as of course my contention is the core topics I'm raising are valid and serious, but sugar coated with comical overtones which seem to get other posters/moderators rustled? (I'm speculating they do, the intention is to put comical spins on things to make them palatable).

Change my posting style is like saying, change my attitude as a person entirely.

I mean, we all undergo some level of evolution with time but, that aside in my line of business, day to day course of events I'm tailor made to manage some heavy duty situations with some often, pretty nasty people (yes, really).

So how about this;

Downgrade the indefinite AH ban, to 6 months, as per the CA ban (and perhaps in that space of time my posting style will modify, or fine-tune somewhat, make it more acceptable).

For a simple joke as per the OP, a 6 month time out is considerable.

Perhaps we can re-consider on that basis, and if not then yes I would like to escalate to an admin to

consider downgrading the indefinite, to 6 months.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Advertisement

You have consistently been posting a low quality manner for years and have received a significant number of warnings. The notion that you might consider changing your posting style isn't convincing, I'm afraid.

I'll request an admin review now.

I appreciate that point of view but again the interpretation of "low quality" may be subjective (and certainly subjective in perspective of an issue I raise ad nauseum, culture/Irish-culture; my sense of humor may be lost on it somewhat).

Change? I agree it won't change outright, but might evolve slightly;

After all, check out my signature - it's what I'm all about.

I appreciate you having reviewed the situation in any case; I'll await further admin review with baited breath.

Advertisement