Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

This is much more than a TA. I'm so incensed, frustrated and heartbroken I hardly even know where to begin.

90yo father transferred from University Hospital (where he contracted Covid, thankfully no serious illness) to a community hospitial for rehabilitation (that's what they're calling it, anyway) so he can be mobile enough to return home to my care.

Went in yesterday for my scheduled 30 min visit (you get 2 of these a week) to find him unwashed, interior of his mouth covered in a thick brown film, clearly not being cleaned and clearly not getting any way near enough to drink. Someone else's shoes, several sizes too large, on his feet and a hearing aid with a dead battery in his ear.

As if this wasn't bad enough, today I discover that a medication for treating the illness that caused the symptoms that resulted in his admission to hospital in the first place had not been charted. For an entire week, with his condition visibly detiorating by the day, nobody even noticed that an absolutely essential medication was missing from his prescription chart. The error was only discovered because I insisted that a nurse go through his prescription chart with me today over the phone. Initially they tried to blame the discharging hospital Dr but I had already checked with my Dad's GP what was on the discharge letter so knew it wasn't their fault. I have complained informally by phone, will be formally complaining in writing and I want him out of there ASAP. Do you think the Public Health Nurse will return my call despite repeated requests? Nope.

I am fully prepared to go public with this. Neglect and incompetence in an institution tfor our most vulnerable members of our society with extremely restricted visiting rules is just intolerable. What about the poor people in there with no close next of kin to check up on them? Luckily, I have limited medical background and know enough about what mistakes can be made and what key phrases to pepper my interactions with the staff with to make them sit up and take notice. But unwashed and wearing someone else's clothes? Sweet Jaysus that is just unforgivable.

That's an absolute disgrace Sardi. I'm angry on your behalf reading that.

Best wishes to you and your Dad for at least some semblance of acceptable care.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The trend of putting 'Next Planned Absence' on email signatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I need much stronger reading glasses. And I mean MUCH stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Let the two cats out after work, they walk about into the kitchen an hour later absolutely covered in those little sticky balls from the garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I visited my mother in her nursing home and she was like that. Dirty clothes, hadn't eaten all day and dehydrated to the point she was unresponsive. A week later she died. I'm not saying the neglect killed her but it probably did. Complained to HIQA and they didn't even reply. I think I mentioned here that the public health nurse phone me a few weeks ago to see how she was. My mother died last August. The treatment of our elderly is a national disgrace. Best wishes to your father and I hope they start treating him with some dignity

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm so sorry about your mother, onngm. That must have absolutely horrific to go through. My deepest condolences.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

God, the rage that induces in me is off the scale. I'm going through something like this with a family member. The director of the NH deserves to be flogged, actually that would be too good for him, he deserves to be treated like he allows the weakest in his "care" to be treated. I wrote him an email with photos of what's been going on, proof of neglect and mistreatment, and by God, if Pinocchio's Blue Fairy existed, he'd have been turned into a log of wood a long time ago. I'm giving him a week, then I'm going to contact the guards and tell them the NH are endangering my relative. I'm sure they'll be interested in the photos, too.

I swear, some of those places are no better than workhouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You should go all go public with this, go to the twitter/Facebook accounts of local TDs, Stephen Donnelly, Leo Varadkar and Michael Martin.

I'm sure others would follow with their stories.

I'm so sorry for you all, it's inhumane.

Oh my God that's awful ohnonotgmail.

I'm so sorry for you and your Mum. ☹️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Outside of the frontline staff healthcare is an uncoordinated mess unfortunately… as I found out to my cost… extra demand placed on it now with everything going on isn’t going to improve things… things will get worse, severely worse.

—————

my own beef now is this….

the number of pure assed phishing and social media / phone scams going on…

Practically every member of my family, social group have been complaining throughout the summer, my cousin almost lost their Facebook…now it’s my turn…to get caught in the shenanigans…

The last few weeks…

Bank SMS’s x3 .. click a link to do xyz with your account, I haven’t got a XxxxX bank account.

a WhatsApp tonight from a person I don’t know looking for help…they are in an Ulster border county but know fûck all about their surroundings when questioned on it. Googled their mobile number… a scam being ran by Nigerians based in Ireland apparently…

an old email a while back getting hacked and deleted… not my primary one fortunately…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I've got the hiccups

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Holidays from work for 3 weeks which is a good thing.

My ta is I still woke at 4:30 and wide awake since.

And on top of that I was dreaming I was at work so that's like doing 2 days work yesterday ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

or people who refer to chips as “a single”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

People living down the road from us, family of 5, like us, they’ve got the same bin company which collects every Friday morning and every second Friday morning going to work, their waste bin is out , lid open full to the brim but what annoys me is the usual two black bags left beside it and obviously collected as well. Why not just get the next size up bin and stop freeloading. Not sure if I’m more annoyed with them for being stingey or the bin men for taking the extra bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There is an infomercial on the radio at the minute, an annoying song telling people about the need to separate liquids when going through security at the airport.

I mean, that protocol is at least a decade old. Could even have come in post-911 but not sure. Surely we're not so dumb as a nation that we still have to educate people about it. I know air travel took a hit there during covid, but for god sake.

They'll have an ad about not forgetting your passport next.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Go to any airport and you'll see people flummoxed when they try to go through security, many will gaze slack-jawed at the ziploc bags provided for them.

A bigger TA is that is does nothing for security!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I mean it’s not that hard to know what to do, but admittedly I find it tough to get through the smaller machines

well it can keep an explosive out of an aircraft,, mainly a deterrent but as the threat ain’t going anywhere ever it’s here to stay.

agree with the confused eejits though, The regs have been in for about 20 years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe he was fed up waiting for the hospital to call him for a scan...

• Advertisement

I emailed a private health clinic re: a hydrotherapy treatment…

i get told that due to covid it’s temporarily unavailable but ALL other services at the clinic…, physiotherapy, dry needling, paediatric procedures are running as normal.

considering no elements of hydrotherapy are hands on, it’s basically an underwater treadmill the client is using and would be walking or running on…the risk of infection transmission is bound to be tiny.. compared to the hands on physio treatments conducted by a practitioner whose face will be a couple of feet away from a client and visa versa and who will be in physical contact with them too.

can they not just say.. “ for the moment we don’t offer this service “ … Without the requirement to make up hokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

Being awake at 3am. I'll be scrap all day tomorrow.

Misinformation about Amazon UK that constantly appears on Facebook. For all their faults, they're actually the safest UK place to order items from as they deal with the VAT issue properly and their packages arrive.

Also on Stop-Go systems - there's a couple around my area and you are guaranteed a five minute wait minimum no matter when you arrive. And the other direction always seems to allow more cars through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Get out of bed in the morning, look in the mirror, happy with sculpted Adonis like body I see 😁

Take off clothes going to bed at night, look in mirror,I now see Homer Simpson's body 😳

What's all that about?! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'll use Charlie Haughey's infamous speech as inspiration for today's rant...

..My bank balance was made available to me this morning, and the picture it paints is unfortunately not a pretty one. It shows clearly, that we as a household are living way beyond our means. Myself, my OH and my Jack Russell dog Toby must collectively tighten our belts to get through the next few weeks.

Been a client of theirs for around 19 years or thereabouts and I cant recall a single occasion where I’ve been let down..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

'Here's why' adds everywhere on da'internet. Now here's why i am grinding gears today.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Next door neighbours, god love her but she sounds like Joan Burton. Add to it she and the rest of them sound half cut and are murdering Queen's top songs. It's f*cking torture listening to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

So a bit of a background to the upcoming rant.

I work part-time for a local paper covering the GAA scene and am flat to the mat this time of year. I work a separate job mid-week. I am also involved with coaching an outside GAA team, and up to recently was part of my local GAA club's committee, but left it due to meetings clashing with other commitments.

Today, I was covering my local club in a semi-final. We thankfully won and afterwards was talking to a few extended family members about the match. The chairman decided there and then was the time to confront me.

He disputed my reason for leaving the committee, saying 'all you do is walk the dog every day'. Yeah, after work.

He condemned me for not selling tickets for a yearly fundraiser, which is fair enough but I wasn't the only one, but seem to be the only one criticised for it.

He basically wanted to belittle me in public, when I was there representing the local paper (thus at work), and never had the balls to ring me to flesh things out mano to mano.

And it has been an ongoing thing for a while. Snide remarks here, smart ass comments there. Bullying.

I've a thick skin, but I can't take it any more, so I lodged a formal complaint to the secretary of the club, and it'll be brought up at the next meeting.

I've enough on my plate to put up with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement