Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA need to step up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Going by downcow's comment, I think it's the venue (a secondary school!)

He tries very very hard to find offence.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,556 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You will find offence being sought every late July early August to divert attention from their own 'cultural' expession

• But that means that both sides would be mixing and unionists would be in (and welcomed in) a venue perceived as the other side. I'm really struggling to see the negative here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭downcow

So tell us what Michael stone done that was sectarian according to your unique definition francie??

Hehe. So what criteria does google use to decide if I am a loyalist when I use google.

this one takes the biscuit

• Advertisement

Apologies for putting that up. I honestly didn’t click that it was the one that we done to death a few months back.

I think you all know well. If the local perceived Protestant football team was holding an outreach to get more diversity and they held it on pitches used exclusively by Protestants and owned by the Protestant church, we would tell them to get a new plan

He subsequently killed Kevin McPolin in November 1985 and would also face charges for the murder of Dermot Hackett in 1987. Stone would subsequently admit to killing McPolin but has claimed that he did not kill Hackett but confessed to his murder in order that a young UFF member might escape punishment.[41] Both McPolin and Hackett were uninvolved Catholics.

Stone, who apparently objected to the newspapers' portrayal of him as a mad Rambo-style gunman, also confessed to shooting dead three other Catholics between 1984 and 1987. He claimed the victims were linked to the IRA, although it appears that they were innocent civilians

A textbook sectarian killer.

It's very telling that the GAA club that gets the most abuse and threats (including death threats and bomb scares) is East Belfast GAA.

Prominent Loyalists just do NOT want inclusion.

Can you suggest an alternative venue?

Victoria Park perhaps?

Also: What on earth is a "Protestant football team"?

• Advertisement

• If the club was in a nationalist area, and it was trying to get people playing a more traditionally British sport, let's say cricket for an example, then if they used the grounds of a protestant school in that nationalist area then no, I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid. The fact you do speaks volumes tbh.

I think if you read my post again I said a “perceived Protestant team”. Unlike GAA, I think you will find it impossible to name a senior team that is exclusively or even predominantly one religion. With GAA it’s the other way around. It’s a struggle to name a senior team that is not either exclusively or predominantly one religion. That should tell you all you need to know

He claims all his intended targets were Ira members and that that was his motive. Just pointing out that he does not fit your own tight definition of being ‘sectarian’. But then sure you move that around as you wish.

He killed uninvolved Catholics. I don't care what excuses he tried to make. He was a sectarian killer.

Actually I find it impossible to perceive ANY sporting team in terms of a religion. That's just bizarre.

People really need to stop thinking this way. It's not healthy.

Oh I get it. I am quite sure the white South Africans in the 80s would have said

“Actually I find it impossible to perceive ANY sporting team in terms of a colour. That's just bizarre. 

People really need to stop thinking this way. It's not healthy.”

I am only using your definition. I have zero doubt he was sectarian, but you told us that if someone is not doing something specifically because of religion then they are not sectarian. He could have found much easier ‘catholic’ targets so I think you are easing your definition a little.

OK then name me a senior GAA team (hurling or football) that is exclusively one religion.

The floating definition again. This time used to dilute what a loyalist did. A joke of a definition that is useful to no-one but yourself

• Am I misreading this or did you just equate Ireland and the GAA with South Africa and apartheid ? Really ?

• Advertisement

That is like trying to prove god doesn’t exist. I’d need to know the perceived religious background of every player.

how about you list me players in senior GAA teams who belong to the pul community. Or if you wish I’ll list you ones that don’t, but they will be very long lists

It was you tried to tie down sectarian to such tight anspecific parameters so as to exclude nationalists groups like the ira, GAA, etc and now it won’t even fit Michael stone - in my view a sectarian killer

Yes you absolutely misunderstood me. I doubt you’ll ever find unionists doing that although Sinn Fein and republicans often link South African apartheid and the treatment of people in Palestine and basque with Northern Ireland. Indeed my SF MP just yesterday tweeted comparing china/Taiwan with our dispute here in ni. Shocking I know. and an MP

to be clear. I was pointing out that the world over, sporting bodies who are not inclusive, like to take the line that everyone else is sexist/racist/sectarian for focusing on their lack of diversity. It’s a very old trick. My community were guilty of it when nationalists rightly pointed out that the RUC were 80% Protestant - we thought what’s the big deal this is how people can be blinded by their own prejudice

(Haha. I just checked and I see our mp has taken down his china post - the sf PR police have got to him)

What are you pivoting to now?

Stone is sectarian because he targeted people for being Catholic. The gangs he was a member off did it and so did he later.

The PSNI is neither catholic nor protestant, or belongs to one community, it is therefore not 'sectarian' to attack it or discriminate against it.

So really it all comes down to what happens to be in your mind. So was stones attack on the ira funeral sectarian? Just trying to understand this pure view you have of ‘sectarianism’

No it comes down to the definition of the word 'sectarian' which hasn't changed to be a floating term of abuse for you to use when it suits you.

Stones attack on the graveyard was psychotic, random and deranged.

Here's your quote downcow ...

"With GAA it’s the other way around. It’s a struggle to name a senior team that is not either exclusively or predominantly one religion. That should tell you all you need to know"

It tells me all I need to know about your lack of knowledge of the GAA.

There are a few loyalist dinosaurs whose best interests are served by constantly pushing this GAA=republican myth. Indeed Sammy "Taigs don't pay rates they are sub-human animals" Wilson famously coined the phrase "The GAA is the sporting wing of the IRA". A few of these eejits have raised their heads this week, wetting themselves over the audacity of Belfast City Council attempting to mark out a GAA pitch on a public space. It's so sad that these people even get listened to.

A similar situation occured four years ago when Arlene Foster attended the Ulster final between her home county Fermanagh and Donegal. There was not a single dissenting voice from the GAA, indeed she was warmly welcomed and applauded as she took her seat. As the leader of a party that has produced quotes like the above surely this proves that your background is irrelevant to the GAA. Obviously the loyalist dinosaurs had a field-day. "deep sorrow and indignation" "extremely upsetting" (DUP's John Finlay)

The worrying thing is that this type of rhetoric drives a wedge into what 99% of us want; reconciliation and a lasting peace. People who can live where they want and enjoy whatever music, sport, language, marches, bonfires, festivals, commemorations etc. they want to.

The reality is that as much as some like the above would like it not to be, no one within the GAA management structure gives a flying fuk what god anyone does or doesn't worship because it's a sporting organisation. Admittedly, in the North especially within cities I would imagine that the majority of GAA players will have attended catholic secondary schools but that's down to the societal divisions which are kept in place by street geography and divided secondary education. I'm sure you can think of other sports where the reverse is true. (Rugby?)

There are many people who did not (or do not) attend catholic secondary schools who are introduced to the sports by neighbours (rural areas) or who become interested after they leave school. You have to remember also that increasingly people are not identifying themselves by religion so your point in bold above is nonsense...

... but, I'm going to rise to the challenge!

Here is a list of senior teams (from just 1 county) that are not either exclusively or predominantly one religion...

Please let me know if you need any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Miniegg

Downcow is this thread tongue in cheek ? Something like a satirical "nationalists call us discriminatory for practicing our culture, so I'll do the same to them"... Or do you really believe that the largest sporting body in a diverse and internationally affable country like Roi - is actually set up to recruit youngsters into the IRA and are out to get you? You are either comic genius or delusional - but it is very entertaining reading all the same.

Classic stuff. Never did I say anything to remotely resemble the GAA “is actually set up to recruit youngsters into the IRA and are out to get you”

you can’t address the facts so you quote ridiculous stuff.

mare you saying the GAA does not have a problem with sectarianism?

• Advertisement

I don’t know any of these places. Are they all in ROI? Take a stab, what would you guess would be the average percentage of those from Protestant community backgrounds in these teams?

also I think you’ll find early in the thread I acknowledged that things seem very different in south. Any lists of teams from the north that I could comment on?

I think the fact they applauded Arlene for having the courage to attend should tell you all you need to know.

as for lists. Here’s one for you. Maybe you’ll comment and tell me that’s all fine and then unionists should just accept it. I could well be missing stuff but I can’t think of a single football ground in ni named after a terrorist or indeed anything related to decision. That’s strange ?

Sorry it’s a bit long and a copy paste from a WhatsApp I received this morning

There are many reasons why the PUL community opposes the GAA, they are valid reasons, they are not imagined, and they are certainly not sectarian in nature and yet that is the accusation that our community faces once again because of the opposition to a GAA pitch being placed in a Unionist area of East Belfast.

Those from outside of Northern Ireland will probably not understand, they certainly won’t be told the truth about the GAA, to them it’s just a ‘sport’, why should we not want another sports ground, it won’t make sense to them, it’s time it did. The narrative that the PUL community are sectarian and bigoted when it comes to the GAA must be challenged.

When it comes to GAA sports grounds a closer look at what and who they are named after may give an insight into one of the many valid reasons the PUL community would oppose such a ground in their area.

What’s in a name? people may ask, I would ask them do they think it’s normal or acceptable to name a sports ground or club after a terrorist. A sport which is played by men, women and children being played in a ground named after an Irish Republican terrorist who murdered and maimed men, women and children is rather depraved don’t you think? 

Take for instance Casement Park, probably one of the most contentious grounds in Northern Ireland, the setting in which two British Armed Forces personnel were tortured and killed by the IRA live on television screens around the world after they had been dragged out of their car on the streets of Belfast on the 19th of March 1988. It was utilised by Sinn Fein/IRA during IRA terrorist Bobby Storey’s funeral in which the IRA took over the streets of Belfast in a show of strength in 2020. 

The ground itself is named after Roger Casement. During the First World War whilst our forefathers from both sides of the community fought against the German's Casement who was a British diplomat who was busily making efforts to gain aid from the Germans to assist the Easter arising in 1916. He was arrested and charged with treason, his knighthood was forfeited in June 1916 and he was executed by hanging on the 3rd of August 1916. Not exactly the glowing example of a hero, and yet the GAA have deemed him one. 

Another questionable character from many that the GAA have named a club after is that of O’Donovan Rossa. Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa was an Irish Fenian leader and a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood (IRB). Rossa living in America advocated for the use of dynamite bombs to try and overthrow the British, he organised the first bombings by Irish republicans in English cities which was dubbed the ‘dynamite campaign’ and lasted throughout the 1880s. He had also set up a fund called the ‘skirmishing fund’ to arm like-minded republicans to fight the British. O’Donovan died in Staten Island in 1915.

The GAA also felt it appropriate to name another club in West Belfast after Michael Davitt, another member of the IRB. In February 1867 Davitt lead a group of fifty Fenians on a raid to obtain arms for the Fenian Rising from Chester Castle, the raid failed. Davitt went on the run and managed to remain underground until his arrest in May 1870 when he was caught waiting for a shipment of arms. He was convicted of treason felony for arms trafficking in support of insurrection and sentenced to 15 years. He died in May 1906. 

There are also several GAA clubs, and grounds competitions named after more recent Irish Republican terrorists listed below, again I ask how this is acceptable. How can anyone with a moral compass not be repulsed by this, and yet it is the PUL community who are branded sectarian and bigoted, simply because we oppose the glorification of terrorists and their deeds. 

One must also take a look at the GAA’s ‘introduction’ to the rules and constitution of the GAA. I have attached a copy for all to see. The GAAs rules and constitution indicate clearly that this is no ‘ordinary’ sporting body. It is politically motivated with political objectives, something the PUL community have been pointing out for decades and something which the media and other commentators choose to ignore. It shouldn’t be ignored and it cannot be ignored any longer. There is no place in Northern Ireland’s society for an organisation to undermine Northern Ireland’s constitution within the United Kingdom under the guise of a sporting body and there is certainly no place in any society across the globe to have an organisation which glorifies terrorists and their deeds all in the name of sport. 

That does not make us sectarian, it does not make us bigoted to quote Lord Shaftesbury ‘what is morally wrong can never be politically correct.

Irish Republican terrorist names associated with the GAA. 

Kevin Lynch

The GAA hurling club in Dungiven, Co Londonderry, is named after INLA member and former player Lynch.

He was the seventh of the 10 hunger strikers to die in 1981, after being sentenced to 10 years for stealing shotguns and conspiring to disarm the security forces. Lynch was captain of the 1972 All-Ireland-winning under-16 Derry team.

Joe Cahill

An under-12s football contest is played at Cardinal O’Donnell Park, west Belfast, in honour of the IRA veteran who died in 2004.

Cahill joined the IRA aged 18 and was convicted for his part in killing Catholic cop and dad-of-ten, Patrick Murphy, in 1942. He also was a key figure in founding the Provisional IRA in 1969.

Bobby Sands

The Cumann na Fuiseoige GAA club honours IRA hunger striker Sands, who grew up near its base in Twinbrook, west Belfast.

The club’s badge shows a lark, barbed wire and a capital ‘H’ representing the H-block in the Maze prison where Sands — who was convicted of arms offences — was the first IRA hunger striker to die.

There is also a Bobby Sands Memorial soccer cup contest, held during the Feile an Phobail festival in west Belfast.

Mairead Farrell

A girls’ camogie championship played in Tullysaran, Co Armagh,

was named after IRA woman Farrell.

She spent 10 years in jail for bombing the Conway Hotel, Dunmurry, and was killed by the SAS in Gibraltar with fellow IRA members Sean Savage and Daniel McCann in 1988 with whom she allegedly planned to bomb an Army band.

Martin Hurson

A commemorative Martin Hurson Memorial cup final is played every year at Galbally Pearses Football Field near Dungannon in Co Tyrone.

The fifth of the H-block hunger strikers to die, Hurson was arrested in 1976 and quizzed over the attempted murder of UDR soldiers in a bomb attack.

The charge was dropped but he was convicted on several other charges.

Michael McVerry

The first member of the IRA in south Armagh to be killed in the Troubles, McVerry was shot by soldiers in 1973 after placing a 100lb bomb at Keady RUC station, helped by five men who fought a running battle with cops after the device exploded.

The Michael McVerry cup is played in Cullyhanna, Co Armagh, each year.

Gerard and Martin Harte

These East Tyrone IRA brothers were killed in a carefully-planned SAS ambush at Drumnakilly in 1988. Many branded it revenge for the Ballygawley bus attack 10 days earlier, which killed eight soldiers and injured 27 others.

Played at Loughmacrory, the Gerard and Martin Harte Memorial cup is now one of Tyrone's foremost under-12 Gaelic football tournaments.

Louis Leonard Memorial Park

The ground in Donagh, Fermanagh, was named after IRA man Louis, who was killed by loyalists in 1972 while working late in his shop in the village of Derrylin.

Loughgall bomber Paddy Kelly

The Paddy Kelly cup was played in Dungannon, Co Tyrone as part of commemorations for the IRA Loughgall “martyrs”. A heavily-armed IRA unit including Kelly and O’Callaghan was trying to blow up a part-time police station in Loughgall, Co Tyrone, with a 200lb bomb when they were gunned down by the SAS.

McDonnell/Doherty Park

The home ground of the St Teresa's GAA club in west Belfast is named after hunger strikers and former players Joe McDonnell and Kieran Doherty.

McDonnell had been arrested in 1976 with Bobby Sands following a bomb attack on a furniture store in Dunmurry and Doherty was convicted for possession of firearms, explosives and hijacking.

Jim Lochrie and Sean Campbell

Lochrie/Campbell GAA Park in Dromintee, south Armagh is named after IRA members Jim Lochrie and Sean Campbell who were killed when a land mine exploded prematurely at Kelly's Road, Killeen in 1975.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement