Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

Is there limits to the NEO currently? Can it fly fully loaded out of DUB?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

There are some limits apparently. I heard an EI A321LR pilot tell ATC they were unable to depart from 28L with current conditions on one of the hot days a few weeks ago. Air temp was about 30c and wind was I think 6kts with max 9kts gusting from South East. Aircraft had to exit the runway threshold as it was no1 to depart, in order to allow other aircraft depart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Similarly an A333 to SFO recently told ATC the flight would have to be cancelled if 10R was not available. There was a change of active runway soon afterwards and all was well. I imagine that if a longer easterly runway was available, that might have been requested too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The issue there is ATC trying to stick with 28L as its operationally better for flow but with a tailwind. Aircraft depart and land into the wind to maximise performance, taking a tailwind hurts performance badly

Limit on the A320 is 10knots so that A321 departure was very close to limit before working the math on how much more runway needed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Was the machine all fueled up before this became apparent, one wonders.

A tech stop at SNN would have been preferable to a cancellation, unless crew hours were a factor

Hmmmm….just wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

In the vast majority of airports around the world they do not normally operate their runways with a tailwind. DUB is different but will switch to 10R when the tailwind approaches maximum limits whereas other airports will often switch over well in advance of the wind actually becoming a tailwind. However the problem with DUB is that this process is unpredictable. There are days when the tailwind is nowhere near max limits but they have already switched onto 10R and then other days when it is howling a gale up the chuff and ATC refuse to switch over. Therein lies the problem - because its unpredictable airlines don't/can't plan on making tech stops in SNN which are inefficient, but usually if they wait around long enough or complain to ATC enough eventually they will open 10R. Hopefully with about 500m more runway on 28R, this problem will be much less severe when that opens.

Thanks for that but with respect it doesn’t answer my question.

In my view it would be far more “inefficient “ to cancel a flight rather than explore the tech stop option if it was viable and there were no crew duty hours involved.

If it were a genuine ‘threat ‘ to cancel the flight if the runway couldn’t be changed, I know what my choice would be …if the operational parameters were not an issue.

There was a conversation between airline ops and ATC (not over VHF) so we are not privy to that. A tech stop when the airport infrastructure is actually capable of facilitating operation of the direct flight woukd no doubt introduce a range of new issues and potential for delays. It would also set an undesirable precedent from the airline's point of view. They were right to press for the runway change IMO.

Of course they were, but that’s miles from the actual actual question I asked.

Not trying to be rude or anything but it would be nice if folk actually read the question asked.

Apologies for harping on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I think the point Brendan is that the aircraft can depart from the airport and there is no reason why it can’t it’s just because the runway in use (28L with a small tailwind) is operationally easier for ATC and managing flow. Hence the need for to request them tow swap the runway and the aircraft is back within limits and can depart safely.

It should never be an issue.

That would always be the airline’s priority. However, they would do a tech stop if it wasn’t possible and take less fuel. This happens the odd time ex Lanzorote and they usually stop at Faro en route.

Again, this shouldn’t be needed for DUB if they used the more suitable runway for the departing aircraft that are close to limits.

You also see when 16 is in use a request for 10R for that extra bit of length.

• Advertisement

To answer your question Brendan yes the TA flights are always fuelled with the assumption that they will operate direct from DUB without stopping in SNN. A tech stop in SNN is extremely rare (if ever) because one way or another ATC will almost always end up allowing departures off 10R when the need arises, its just the faffing around/over and back between pilots and ATC in the lead up to the runway change which is a waste of time in DUB and this messing does not tend to happen elsewhere. A cancellation because of this is thankfully very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

I was told that this is an AIRLINE request as it saves the AIRLINES fuel landing on 28 rather than flying all the way to 10 even with a tailwind.

Also the preferential runway system is a DAA policy and it will be to fit in with planning and being a good neighbour to those that live in Malahide etc.

As far I am aware the use of the northern runway for departures is limited to just that of exceptional circumstances such as a disabled aircraft on the southern or the southern runway is closed for urgent repairs.

Ok…. Thanks everyone for the replies, but again, what I am saying is this.

what I was querying was the the scenario where apparently ATC were told that unless the carrier got an alternate runway there would be a CANCELLATION of the flight.

ok so far so good…..?

If ATC sticks to its guns and declines to grant the change….is the only option to cancel the flight?

My question would be then to organise a tech stop for fuel, if operational and crew hours constraints allowed, that would be more efficient than a flight cancellation and 300 odd passengers left stranded requiring re routing.

I know it’s an unlikely scenario, I know that if a long haul wide body flight had to be cancelled for ATC local reasons there would be hell to pay and probably disciplinary actions the next day, I know all that………I know the carriers would go spare if this became an issue

My point is that there are more options than flat cancellation, if ATC remained intransigent on a scenario like this.

And I know that that this would be a very unlikely scenario once the arse boxing stopped and common sense prevailed.

Hope that’s clear!!!!!

Interesting about the limited circumstances for use of 10L for departures. In reality, 10L/R will only be used in cases of a reasonably strong headwind from the east and this, coupled with generally better performance off 10R than 28L (due to obstacle issues with 28L), 10R won't be too much of an issue for heavy widebodies or A321LRs. They are managing OK with 10R when it needs to be used as it stands now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

They won’t cancel no. If ATC sticks to its guns and doesn’t allow it then they’ll just offload cargo and/or pax and go with a lighter fuel load!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

But sorry, ATC's job is to facilitate the safe execution of the flight but the last word falls with the crew. A crew does not have to comply with an ATC order if the safety of the flight is at risk. The fact that the plane is on the ground waiting to take off is neither here nor there, if the crew say they need X runway to ensure the safety of the flight then they need X runway and ATC must facilitate. Yes, it means a headache for them reorganising traffic but they shouldn't be using a runway with a tailwind anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Hmmm, I thought at least part of the reason for building the Northern Runway was to provide that extra 500m of length for departing flights that really needed it?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

And they are in indeed getting that extra 70% of the time.

It’s a policy that has been derived out of the planning restrictions.

So let’s make sure our ire is directed at the correct people and that arguments are fact based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Great, so the other 30% of the time the flights will have to offload passengers/cargo or be cancelled?

I can't imagine many airlines wanting to launch services where they've a 30% chance of not being able to operate as scheduled.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

This may refer to EI117 to Washington on 19th July operated by an A321LR.

It taxyed out about 13.20 but was unable to depart from 28L due to current weather conditions. It exited from the holding point of 28L to the parallel taxiway where it sat for some considerable time before returning to stand at T2.

The flight was not cancelled but eventually pushed back again that evening at about 19.00 and this time was allowed to depart from 10R.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Runway in use is the one currently been used and white most operations.

The pilot is free to reject this option and request an alternate.

There may be a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭AnRothar

New boards is not used friendly.

Should read

Runway in use is the one currently been used and suits most operations

Kind of late to find out the current weather condition could cause a problem?

Maybe they hoped for a weather ‘window’?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

In those kind of operations would you not just go to Shannon from 28L , take on fuel there and then do the oceanic bit ?

Not if your tanked up to the gills on the runway holding point in DUB, I would suspect.

Thats my point really, all this crud needs to be sorted out hours before take off time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The trouble is that on certain days the wind can be quite variable changing directions quite quickly and often.

At a busy airfield like Dublin swapping runways frequently is not ideal as delays will build up.

With the North runway coming into play, the issues highlighted will mostly die away.

That’s the wind for you, changeable as fuuherke. Most unusual!!

However, back to my point, why couldn’t a plan be sorted before the event rather than leaving it to the last minute.

Get everyone into the loop, outline the situation, get a yea or nay and make plans accordingly.

That too much to expect?

You are entitled to your view, but for over 40 years Aer Lingus had to deal with a mandatory stop at Shannon on transatlantic flights. That now, thankfully, being in the past I doubt the airline considers it appropriate or necessary to maintain contingency plans for such stops on a day-to-day basis. Obviously an in-flight emergency would be a different matter.

Never even remotely suggested anything anywhere near that situation.

My point again………faced with the situation of the r/w not suitable due weather conditions and a flat No to a change

do you cancel the flight as was threatened or investigate a work around if the restraints I mentioned did not inhibit it.

Never suggested it would be a regular occurrence,only suggested that TO AVOID A CANCELLATION , 300 people left stranded, same on the other side on the reciprocal flight, it would and should be considered.

Thats all😓

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That’s really a matter for the airline to decide on the day.

You are not going to get a clear reply here.

It’s an internal decision for Aer Lingus to make.

Advertisement