Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

i would say Irish team are not getting squad turnover that some of these mercenaries teams in the east of Europe are getting. That are more settled, know their roles for not just a couple of months but often a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Not true in the case of Pats this year. Practically a whole new squad, plus 4 players added just in time for the European games. From last seasons squad, by my reckoning, we still have Forrestor, Lennon, Barrett, McClelland and Coughlan. Of those, only Forrestor has featured regularly.

edit - forgot Billy King.

Post edited by trashcan on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

the BIG clubs signing the better players has a lot to do with it too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City batter Athlone and Galway drop 2 points at home- 3 clear with a game in hand and a far superior goal difference- City in a really good position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

A massive win for Harps, there's a bit of fight in them yet. UCD away next week can be filed under 'must not lose'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That feels like a loss.

Edit: although Dundalk fully deserved a draw at least. Had most of the possession and outplayed us for all of 2nd half.

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yep it's Corks to lose now. We weren't great tonight, two mistakes gifted Wexford their goals. Although they did play some lovely stuff in the first half, must be said.

Héry was superb for us, went off with a hamstring strain late on though. We huffed and puffed a bit, hit the bar and the Wexford keeper made a couple of great saves too.

We have to just keep ploughing on and hope ye drop points and that there's something to play for when ye to come to us next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Bizarre sight outside the south stand on Thursday with one of the hired goons asking people to remove their caps as they queued (in case they had a pipe wrench or a samurai sword underneath). Even more bizarre that a couple of youngfellas obliged, never seen it before. I'm trying to imagine our fans queuing in the lane outside the Connaught Street stand for an away derby 20 years ago and a steward squeezing in to announce "caps off lads".

If the same mob is doing the Pats game in Tallaght, I think cap duty on the away gate is the order of the day. CSKA lads seem nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

In fairness, all 4 goals last night were as a result of poor defending. Wexford on a bit of a run at the minute and the manager sends them out to try and win every game, no matter what the opposition. Confidence in the group is very high and they hunt down every ball. Great to watch after years of horrible gloop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Pats Shels off on Sunday cos Pats still in Bulgaria

Ya I've been impressed by ye in both games this season. Second half ye tired, noticeably, but still kept going and had a couple of chances late too. If ye can hold onto the manager ye are definitely going in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Turns out Pats and the FAI knew all week they wouldn't be able to get back.

Ridiculous that the Shels game was cancelled so late

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

That will be just over 2 months without a home game for Shels and the loss of 3 big gates Derry , Rovers and Pat's due to Europe . How can clubs try to budget for this ? Thats nearly €100k in gate receipts gone (more if a couple of those games sold out) .

While I understand we should be helping clubs in Europe as much as we can , should it really be at the expense of the other clubs ? While Pat's etc earn serious money from Uefa (and fair play to them ) other clubs are left trying to plug holes in their budget .

Is it time clubs affected start recieving some compensation for this type of scenario ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Derry game was international call ups rather than Europe and last home game was 8 July. Next one will be 19 August so not quite two months. I think you make a valid point though but not sure how it would work in practice. The four european teams would essentially have the option of paying to have a game that doesn't suit them being rescheduled. Would affect the integrity of the league in my opinion.

As a Shels fan I'd be more worried about when the games will be played rather than the finances of it. Three games in hand now which will have to be squeezed in somewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd not be surprised if it's a specific reaction by gardaí/club/security to the Ludogorets bottles for UEFA.

Because a stand closure or ground closure not far off is the alternative. 20 years ago, that was not so much of a concern.

That's eight wins out of ten at home in Europe now (one on penalties) since the South Stand opened. Only Flora and Milan have won. It is an extended run, rather than purple patch of a season here and there without Byrne Mandroiu and at times Burke. And mostly to come back or get back in a tie.

Now if even a half decent away performance could be put together, things might come together.

Post edited by dfx- on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It would be nice to see clubs work together on this. It's out of St.Pats hands, travelling is a disaster at the moment.

Shels should be compensated though in some fashion.

We had some rare cooperation this week with Sligo Bohs being moved to Sunday due to Sligo's European participation, they agreed to move the fixture to an earlier kick off to time to facilitate Bohs fans getting the last train to Dublin, and also releasing 100 extra tickets after we sold out our allocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I know Shels have already been furious with the FAI this season over three late date changes or postponements I won't be surprised if things escalate legally with the FAI on this as the club is bleeding matchday revenue with a midweek home fixture pileup accumulating. I also wouldn't believe a word out of Pats

So you think Pats stayed in Bulgaria deliberately and are lying about not being able t get back ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

On what basis legally?

Have they suffered a loss? What happens if the attendance at the re-arranged fixture is higher? Will they give money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Fair play to anyone who can hide a bottle under their baseball cap, some trick, as they enter a stadium where bottles of water and minerals are sold to whoever wants them. 20 years ago, a jobsworth in a bib would've known his audience and the forthcoming reply.

That's a good home record since the stand opened. The people in it on Thursday created a decent atmosphere, despite the best efforts of the guards who spent the first half an hour of the game hassling people at the stairs and inspecting flagpoles (not a euphemism).

I'm not sure how useful the South Stand will be in getting us over the line in tight matches and keeping that record going, when the fans are preoccupied with wànkers in uniform trying to micromanage the life out of the place. The gimp who films for the marketing videos won't have much "content".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Just to reiterate Shels are a sad bastard of a club and I welcome their demise.

Thankfully i can go for a carvery today rather than stand in a piss filled " stand", would prefer to play Fingal than have to attend Tolka tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Surely there has to be some consistency then. Bohs got no help last year, Dundalk had to play Rovers on a Sunday after playing in Moldova on the Thursday and with a Europa league playoff game on the following Thursday. We also had to play the cup final in 2016 after only getting home from Russia the day before. Also played a cup final in 2020 3 days after playing away to Molde in 2020.

We've had to play lots of clubs right after playing in Europe including Pats. It's something you need to get on with. If Pats can't organise travel then that is Pats fault not Shels. Shels shouldn't be punished for this.

In addition, Waterford were also forced to play their u19s twice last year which ultimately relegated them. I can't see how Pats don't forfeit as I'm sure the rules are pretty black and white over this and FAI would lose any potential court case raised by Shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

I hope that you don’t choke on your carvery. That would be just terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

The **** in the south stand were the ones who kept throwing bottles at the keeper in the last game while being booed by the rest of the crowd knowing a fine/ban was likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Will the Rovers match tomorrow night be shown anywhere? Hard to believe that a game where a LOI is likely to qualify for European group stage football won't be televised, but also doesn't sound as if there are any streams arranged by the club either?

Disgusting stuff. If I was Clarke I’d be in no hurry to leave unless I got a better offer elsewhere. Otherwise let them keep paying him. Sort of what Barcelona are up to, on a smaller scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭RamonD3

More comments here, Barton is some wally another lad that fancies himself as a modern day Brian Clough

Clarke would probably get a game in the Loi according to Barton, he would walk into any team in my opinion, and would be a great replacement for Andy Lyons when he moves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Kerry continue the preparations for a First Division licence application by appointing Damien Locke as Head of their Youth Academy, he having acquired the necessary UEFA qualifications during his spell at Wexford. The U19s appear to be fairly promising on the pitch, but it's the other criteria that will have to be ticked off over the next three months:

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/sport/soccer/kerry-fc-snap-up-damian-locke-as-new-head-of-academy-41897731.html

Personally I'd love to have him up here if we somehow got shot of teflon JC! Doing a great job with Wexford all things considered.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Just noticed the Pat's match is not sold out, a bit mad. I might wander out myself. Such a pain in the hole to get there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Shams game has been picked up by Supersport in Albania but I'd say it is too late now for RTE or Virgin to sort out buying the feed. If they were motivated enough I'm sure they could.

There'll be dodgy streams available now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tom2

The South Stand only went on sale yesterday when the other stands were close to sellout. The Main Stand is now sold out. I wouldn't be banking on being able to get a walk-up ticket on Thursday, I suspect it'll sell out before then.

Just seeing that now, I saw that they still had the stands listed but were actually sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Shams match confirmed for LOITV now. I might not like the direction they went in terms of pricing for league games but LOITV has done a good job covering our teams in Europe home & away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Best of luck to Rovers tonight

No matter what club you support a result tonight is important for the whole league of Ireland as its guarantees at least a 'a European group stage' by an Irish club team

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Rovers score, that should surely be enough to go through!

A brilliant night for rovers, two nil up on the night. Brilliant stuff from Stephen Bradley's men. Great stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Job done. Hopefully we can do the same to the Hungarians, but Conference groups was always Bradley's aim from when it was announced.

Now let's see Pats beat CSKA on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well done Rovers. A great achievement, and we all benefit from it in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Although you want other Irish sides to do well in Europe, it runs the risk of leaving the league lopsided if one or two teams go too far.

As a Shels fan, it feels like we haven't played a game in about 2 months. We have, but it all seems very far apart

Will be very impressed if we sell out three stands. Although it’s the kind of thing that should be a given for a European game. Would give us a much better chance if it was in Richmond though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Well done to Rovers. A great night for their club and fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Unfortunately with the way European competition is now, that's inevitable for the smaller leagues.

The vast majority will have a Rosenborg type team, dominating the league most years and ensuring their success with the guaranteed higher prize money the league winner gets in Europe, and the vastly greater money if they win a few ties in Europe compared to the teams starting in the Conference League.

I hope that doesn't sound pessimistic, I believe the league will increase in standard as a whole, but Rovers with the biggest fan base, already being the dominant side and European money to go with it will likely take over.

Hopefully Pat's can get another team through on Thurs now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Always support Irish teams in Europe. Well done Rovers.

Yes the fear is gap might start to widen a little now. We said same about Rovers in 2011 and Dundalk in 16, but Rovers have their house in order better now so could be interesting.

Hopefully Pats get through and Sligo get a draw to least get respectability back.

The results by Irish teams this season must surely help the old coefficients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Well done Rovers.

The money that they will get from european competition alone this season is Drogheda's budget for nearly ten years!

Whilst it can create a gap in the league, it also shows the possible rewards to potential investors in clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Get respectability back.... before the tie, viking sold their striker for €2m and another player for €1.2m. the 1.2 million is about our budget to run our whole club for the season. There's a massive gulf in quality,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

heard Gav cooney say on OTB that teams from the third round in European competition have to charter a flight to games? Why would that be? More risk of Covid infection on commercial flights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

More chance of a commercial passenger flight being cancelled leading to clubs not being able to fulfil fixtures. Grand in the earlier rounds but a bit of a farce if a club got into the groups because their play off opponents flight was cancelled.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement