Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

What's your explanation then for pecking orders being different for Ireland than at the provinces? Or do you prefer to pretend it isn't a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

the best players are picked its fairly straightforward

Apart from the grand conspiracy to keep Joey Carbery in both the Munster and Ireland squads, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ireland needs a 10 who can play at the gainline. The pods running off him become far less effective if he sits deeper. Both Burns bad Carthy are more effective gainline players than RB. If you want a 10 who can move you around the pitch and control the game. RB is better than the other 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

he gets a massive amount of unfair flak from people who dont really know what theyre talking about.

Wow, you must think an awful lot of your rugby IQ. it's a good thing us clueless folk have such a high level rugby brain like yourself to tell us how the game works.

I actually played out half at a relatively decent level. So while I don't claim to know everything about rugby (and certainly not enough to tell others they "don't know what they're talking about"), I do know a thing or two about the position.

almost by default ross byrne is the best option. hes consistent, a great goalkicker, good defender, familiar with the leinster/ireland system and while hes not at the level of someone like carbery, his attack game is much better than some commenters believe. hes not a sextons level obviously, but none of the options are anywhere near that so we have to kinda just make do

He's consistently average and consistently shows the same flaws in his game season after season. Nobody is saying he has to be Barrett or Ntamack in terms of athleticism. Owen Farrell, George Ford, even Sexton aren't freak athletes, but they take the ball to the line. Ross Byrne doesn't. This is what you get from Ross Byrne (taken from the last game he played substantial minutes for Ireland).

In both shots there's space wide to be attacked, but Byrne absolutely kills the attacl by taking the ball too deep, static and shovelling it way behind the gainline, without fixing any defender. He's an attack killer and an international defence's wet dream. And it's the exact same for Leinster, only his forward pack is usually too dominant for it to matter because he plays all the URC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

thats my point though, i dont understand why harry is selected ahead of ross for example, i dont personally think it makes sense. although i will say i should have said that the best players 'should' be picked rather than 'are'

i think the fact that youve used an example from a year and a half ago (a game in which ireland in general played quite poorly) here is telling. RBs attacking game has come on alot recently and i would imagine he could further adapt to suit the irish gameplan

and also........whatever about the first screenshot, he does seem to be shovelling it on a bit there, but the second one is clearly setting up a clearance from lowe? so hes doing more or less exactly what he should be there........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I played a bit of rugby too you know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think one factor that can't be ignored is that the spot that's up for grabs for Ireland is 3rd-choice outhalf, whereas at Leinster it's 2nd choice - behind Sexton. Second choice gets a lot more gametime, so selectors are more likely to go for a guy who's a bit more established. They can afford to give a bit more weighting to potential when it comes to selecting 3rd choices, maybe something like picking who they think will be better in a season's time. How much will Ireland's third choice outhalf realistically be called upon? Harry Byrne played against Argentina last Autumn, he probably would have been #22 against France in the 6N with Sexton out if he'd been fit, and he probably would have played versus the Maori if he hadn't been injured.

Or maybe Farrell just thinks Harry is a better option than Ross at international level.

Or maybe it's some combination of the two factors above.

thats fair. i dont think thats the best way of doing it personally, especially when it comes to your 10, but thats fair all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sounds like you think a lot of your rugby IQ, now here’s a long rambling essay prooving why mine is superior to yours.

• Advertisement

I gave my opinion. But I didn't tell people they have no idea what they're talking about.

i think the fact that youve used an example from a year and a half ago (a game in which ireland in general played quite poorly) here is telling. RBs attacking game has come on alot recently and i would imagine he could further adapt to suit the irish gameplan

I used an example from his last game for Ireland, because we're talking about him playing for Ireland. He was also 26 then, so it's not like he was a raw youngster. And he hasn't really improved at all since then, so there's no reason to think it would be different if he was to play for Ireland now.

Ireland's game plan doesn't require anything revolutionary from it's out half. Taking the ball to the gain line is bread and butter for a 10. If you need to "adapt" to do that, then you already have a problem.

and also........whatever about the first screenshot, he does seem to be shovelling it on a bit there, but the second one is clearly setting up a clearance from lowe? so hes doing more or less exactly what he should be there........

It wasn't.

his attacking game clearly has improved. as i said to another poster, if it wasnt the case then he wouldnt have started games at 12 & 13 for leinster this season. being 26 is irrelevant too, lots of players improve massively towards their late twenties

It wasn't. except it was. the time in your screenshot is 1:30:05 and at 1:30:08 james lowe clears. if anything RB should have been even deeper as lowe has to dummy a kick initially to create a little bit more space for his actual kick

sorry but you seem to be taking this personally? it wasnt directed at you nor anyone in particular, but there is a cohort of posters on here, media pundits and others who spout ill-informed rubbish regularly, ross byrne being an unfair target alot of the time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

his attacking game clearly has improved. as i said to another poster, if it wasnt the case then he wouldnt have started games at 12 & 13 for leinster this season.

That wasn’t the season gone, it was the previous season and, as far as I recall, it was much down to necessity due to injuries as anything else.

youre correct i had meant to say 'last' season but i suppose thats not accurate at this stage now either tbh

but either way, he wouldnt have been put there if he didnt have the ability

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But I don’t think RB playing 2 league games out of position, against Ulster and Dragons, at a time when Leinster were stretched by injuries tells us much at all about his international level prospects.

(As an aside, Munster once played David Wallace on the wing. And Leamy at centre).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I've been saying this for a long time now, I think we're in big trouble at 10. Carbery can't hold a candle to Sexton, we badly need one of the others to step up but it's hard to see where it'll come from right now. I really hope we see some more of Frawley at 10 this season. I don't think Ross Byrne is the answer at all and imo the coaches have been right to leave him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ross Byrne has tried to develop his game and attack the line a bit more in the last 2 years. And he looks like a guy who is doing something that doesn’t come second nature to him. It just isn’t who he is and it isn’t something he’s very good at.

He’s been an excellent player for Leinster overall, delivering some big performances in some pretty big games. But at the top end of the pro game his weaknesses are glaring. Like a scrum half with a dodgy pass or a winger with defensive issues, he just can’t get away with those weaknesses at test level. He even struggles at top end European level.

I’m not sure what about that is in any way news. That’s who he’s been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Pages upon pages and the conclusion is... none of them are good enough?

This isn't particularly unusual by the way. It's rare that Ireland have more than one really good player in a given position and equally unusual that we have two test level outhalves.

I think we have test level outhalves. What we don’t have are world class outhalves like the one we are trying to replace. We may never have another Sexton again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If Carbery is our no 2, and we're saying he's test level, he's fairly low down the order of test level outhalves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I would agree! He wouldn't be on a top level sides radar.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

wales (4 clubes): gareth anscombe, callum sheedy, rhys patchell,

scotland (2 clubs): adam hastings, blair kinghorn, ross thompson, jaco van der walt

carbery is better than ever single one of wales and scotlands second options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I’m really not sure he would be better than Hastings or Anscombe. What are you basing that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Any analysis of Ireland's back up options at fly half must be couched in recognition that Jonny Sexton is now Ireland's greatest ever rugby player.

Nobody has ever exerted so much influence on the team, or demanded such exacting standards. Sexton is a once in a lifetime player for Ireland and I think it's a little bit unfair to judge any other option against him. At 37 years old he was our best player in the New Zealand series. That's just freakish. I think he has far outstripped Johnny Wilkinson as the greatest Northern Hemisphere 10. But the latter gets better press as he won a World Cup. He was in the wilderness for years until he won a few Europeans Cups near the end of his career with Toulon. And he was nowhere near their best player at that time either. Sexton has been far better as an individual.

That's not to absolve the other Irish 10's of their faults either. I though Carbery had an awful tour and did nothing to advance his claim as Sexton's successor. But we need to realize that there probably won't be another 10 of Sexton's ilk for a long time.

He's not better than Anscombe, not by a long way. He's at best on par with Sheedy. Patchell has been out injured for ages so I don't really know how good he is anymore, but when Patchell was at his best a few years ago he was better than Carbery has ever been. Scotland aren't on our level so I don't see the point in comparing our options and theirs, but Carbery wouldn't really stand out among the lads you named.

Carbery wouldn't get a look in if he was French, English, Kiwi or South African. But there's such a dearth of top class 10s behind Sexton. Lots of decent provincial players but none who can command a test match. There's some promising young players with big potential but IMO the lack of game time they get is a massive issue in Irish rugby. In England and France when a promising 10 finishes with u20s he's straight into a club team and playing every week. Here in Ireland they need to wait two or three years to get a shot at which point their key development years are behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Any analysis of Ireland's back up options at fly half must be couched in recognition that Jonny Sexton is now Ireland's greatest ever rugby player.

I don't really agree with this. We didn't have to have this discussion over Ringrose because he's not as good as BOD - he's still a top class international 13. If Carbery was to Sexton what Ringrose is to BOD then we'd be fine, but he isn't and none of the other options are either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Just like, Ireland will never have another

Jack Kyle

Ronan O’Gara

Ollie Campbell

Tony Ward

David Humphreys

Eric Elwood

Paul Dean

Ralph Keyes

Barry McGann

I think I’ll stop there.