Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Aside from SSE I believe any providers that announced increases in the last five months or so have also increased the standing charge along with the unit rate. Also SSE held off until May to apply the gov. Credit in my case which amounted to €176 plus 9% vat or €8 shy of the €200. As an old crank I have queried this with them. Every little helps and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,706 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Flogas increasing their unit prices but their standing charges are unchanged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Not a spoofer, but is gullible and believes anything he reads or hears from people who haven't a clue.

I've a smart meter. My bill last month was €102. (Lower than last year's €284 bi-monthly bill for May/June. Washing machine, dishwasher & immersion are timed to be on overnight. Tumble dryer if required is used first thing in the morning before the time switches.

Always tend to have dinner about 8, so the 5-7 peak doesn't affect me.

Simply change a few things and they can be huge savers for you

Energia are on bonkers??

Have you "Only show tariffs available for sign up?" set to Yes perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Are you on a smart plan or is that just from having the smart meter installed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

You don't need a smart meter to do this. I have a day/night meter and manage the use of washing machine, immersion heater etc to avail of cheap rates. It is extremely important to submit meter readings every 56 to 60 days to avoid estimated bills. If I changed to a smart meter & smart meter plan right now I would end up paying more.

Post edited by Gooser14 on

That chart would suggest to me that there are a huge number of people with EI on 5.5% discount rates when they could be getting much better deals from other providers. The important thing is to switch every 12 months if you can't negotiate a good deal with your current provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

JFC. People who work for the ESB are "people who haven't a clue". multiple people here have already said that older meters tend to under-report usage, hence switching to a smart meter can lead to an increase up to 30% more usage. But you know better I guess. While an optimised tariff might offset any increased usage, the fact remains there's a large cohort of ESB workers in at least one county, who won't get a smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I find plenty of people who work in places that haven't a clue about things that are not a direct part of their work.

Mechanics generally do not know about fuel when they say a certain "brand" is rubbish when all the fuel comes from the same refinery and from the same giant storage tank no matter what the "brand" on the forecourt. Likewise an electrician may not know or understand the technology behind a smart meter and how accurate it is. They probably read something about the 1st generation meters that were installed in some UK homes that conflicted with LED bulbs. None were installed in Ireland.

As I said, it works great for me and easy to time the heavy use parts to 2-4am and have 9c per unit. Other plans will work better for other people as we're not in the house during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id be careful of running washing machines and dishwashers when you're off to bed, the fire brigade say they are one of the main causes of house fires and they see it frequently enough for it to be a risk. I run them after midnight to get the cheaper night rate but only if I know Im going to be up late for them to finish running the wash cycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah - this is one of my concerns about smart metering encouraging people to switch their usage to the dead of night. On an individual level it might not increase your risk by much, but nationally, statistically it could lead to more night-time house fires. If your tumble dryer goes on fire at 3pm, you'll more than likely get out of the house. At 3am though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭skinny90

Anyone have details of the variable tarrifs on bord Gais or SSE.

trying to see if switching to a smart plan is worth it

Just off the phone with Energia as my contract is up on Friday. I had already done a comparison on Bonkers and Airtricity with their 33% discount off their standard rate were working out more or less the same price as Energia with my current 41% discount. So the aim was to maintain the 41% discount to stay with them but after a bit of back and forth the most they are giving is 30%. It started at 10% then 25% then 'can I put you on hold and talk to my manager' and he came back with 30% and that sounded like it was the max he could give.

For reference the renewal offer was 30% off the below unit rates

Day 0.3976 (inc Vat)

Night 0.1908 (inc.Vat)

Standing charge was 296..40 a year

When he realised he was losing me to Airtricity he did say about Airtricity that 'oh they put their prices up in April but we dont have any plans to put up our prices'. (Energia put up their prices in May). Which surprised me given these phone calls are recorded and we all know there is going to be yet another price hike next month or soon after.

Anyway its Airtricity for me on Friday, the silly annual dance with the power companies continue on.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the1eyedsnake

Hello

My current plan with SSE has just expired (1Yr home elec 30%) and now I think i'm on standard rates

I went on bonkers and signed up to SSE 33% discount rate and I have yet to hear back from them, that was almost 3 weeks now, and am starting to worry , should I ring up or cancel my plan and get the wife to sign up? thanks

I would ring them up tomorrow because you'd think you would get some sort of email from them confirming you are in a new contract, right now it doesnt sound like you are. Check your spam first though in case the email went there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Treppen

No wayyy would I get a smart meter, once they know exact times of everyone's usage then it'll become a shitshow of confusion with hundreds of different plans. Plus if you've solar it further makes more work for you.

On principle I'd prefer if everyone refused smart meters and were left with fewer plans which could be more competitive and less hassle.

. Plus the fact that my old meter is currently going backwards 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ClmAlfie

Same thing happened to me, same story.

They offered me 25%. SSE Airtricity had 33% and their day/night rates and standing charges were way cheaper. Energia rang me twice to offer 35% and 37% and they were still dearer than Airtricity. I changed over to Airtricity

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ClmAlfie

The best time would be to put them on is from 5/6 am on, on a timer. This is what we do. I wouldn't put them on from 12 to 5am, its too risky. My wife and I gets up at 7, so if it does go on fire, we're wide awake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭gussieg

I switched (i thought) to the flogas dual fuel offer, but on receiving yet another electric ireland gas bill, that they had nt changed me over to gas. then when i received my first electric bill, which was through the post and not online, was told that somehow the cashback offer of 220 had not been applied to my account.

I wonder how many other people that switched due to it being recommended on bonkers.ie as the best saving , didnt get the cashback applied to their account?

My first bill was for 70 which as a single household in the summer , seems a lot. The girl at flogas said she would pit a hold on my direct debit unitl they had applied the cashback , but i'll be on to them again this week and if they havent done that, i'll be leaving .

is anyone else considering cancelling the services altogether and going solar or wind or some other form of energy? THe standing charges now are unreal.

I switched to Flogas electric recently, had no problems at all. They (or SSE) overall had the lowest price based on my average low usage, incl standing charge 280 and cashback 220. Kwh prices are eye-watering though: Day 34.57c Night 16.82c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

My bill for the June and july was 68 euros and a further 60 euro standing charge. Electric Ireland. 3 bed house but I live alone and don't use much electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Some providers do not apply the cash back until after the first DD is drawn down and or within 60 days. I am currently with Airtricity since the end of March I have queried why it took the bones of 5 months to apply the credit in my case. I am also querying why it took them 2 months to apply the gov. Credit and have suggested that this was done so they could take a bigger chunk of the €200 as a result of the vat reduction.

Cancelling the service would probably lead to a reconnection fee down the line.

Flogas credit cashback after 15 days.

With SSE, you have to manually apply for the credit after your first bill https://go.sseairtricity.com/ie-welcome--credit. It is a pain, I'm sure many people forget to apply

The Government credit was €200 inclusive of VAT which is €176.21 excluding VAT. When announced by the Government the VAT rate was 13.5%. By the time many people were credited the money the VAT rate had reduced to 9%. If you ckeck your bill you will probably find you were credited €176.21 or thereabouts. Which means everyone got the same amount credited irrespective of the VAT rate applied at the time the bill was issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

I just moved from Energia, rang them first they couldn't match SSE, however they rang me Friday and offered to match it. Too late I'm afraid.

Thanks I made the switch back in June, so plenty of time to apply the cashback. They have breached the terms of contract so they can whistle for the disconnection fee.

• Advertisement

I just switched to Airtrcity there a couple of hours ago, Id forgotten to do it Friday which was the final day of my Energia contract. I took their 33% off deal. Bonkers also threw up Flogas who have a 225 cash back offer on but the unit rates are higher. I ran the maths using my day & night unit usage from the last 12 months and it would have saved me 74 euro. However Flogas is a two year contract and upon googling them and Panda Power seem to be particularly zealous with the price increases, both companies have had 7 price increases in the last 18 months. While Airtricity might not necessarily be any better Id prefer take a punt with them than being locked into a 2 year Flogas contract.

Anyway sounds like I can expect a phone call from Energia offering the 35% and 37% discount when they see Ive switched. Last phone call he said 30% was the most they could do and that was after him 'speaking to the manager'. I'll be asking them to restore my 41% discount and if he cant then will be sticking with Airtricity.

Advertisement