Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

It wasn’t a penalty. Theres slight contact between knees but that doesn’t automatically mean it’s a foul. Mitrovic was on his way down simulating contact with VVDs foot, but VVD had already gotten that out of the way.

But the VAR implementation and woolly rules about penalties meant once the ref called it, it was always going to be given. We could see an identical situation in another game, the ref would decide it’s not a penalty and it would barely be considered an incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I just cannot agree with this based on my viewing of the chance at the time.

Nunez was there first, well ahead of everyone, keeper or nearest defender, swinging his right leg at it was the obvious choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We need 2 midfielders really so we have to sign one before the window closes. I know they want Bellingham but midfield will remain and issue throughout the season if we don't get someone in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

If Thiago "replaced" Gini, why did we offer Gini a new contract? Clearly the intention was to have both Gini and Thiago in the same squad for last season and this season, and possibly next season too (we don't know if LFC offered Gini a 2 or 3 year contract which he ultimately turned down for PSG)

Agree with this, at first I thought there was no contact but there was one camera angle where you can literally see Mitro's thigh muscle shake from the knee to knee contact. You cant fake that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nunez is going to score a ton of goals in a Liverpool shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Unfortunately the pen was one of those that Var aren't over turning the refs decision either way,

Mitrovic pushed the ball one way and then ran into VVD knee very soft but VVD should have confronted him well before he got anywhere near the box, a bit like Robbo on there first goal he wasn't aggressive enough in confronting the man on the ball, summed up our day we tried go play at arms length untill Nunez changed our whole tempo by simply being aggressive from the front,

Sometimes in football a front player can set the whole tempo by applying pressure thing Suarez , Saido, Rooney, Vardy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

We've conceded the first goal in 7 of our last 8 competitive games (excluding pre season stuff) going back to the end of last season. We've gotten into the habit of going behind in games. Keep doing that and you are not going to come back and win every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There was contact, but contact was instigated by the attacker - he played the ball away from the path of his run and practically jumped into Virgil.

As said, a poor, shabby, lazy performance. The worries about the robustness of the midfield 3 abide, a lot to ask of the likes of Elliott, Milner and even Jones to play a lot of games

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Probably VVDs worst game in a red shirt and given its so rare he plays like that of course it's was going to be lapped up by rival fans.

It was a Peno no doubt, VVD looked extremely awkward and he and hendo were also turned inside out by Mitrovic beforehand too . Unfortunately he also played the Fulham attack onside In leadup to first goal so he was way off the pace but we hope it's a total 1 off.

Yesterday just looked like a team starting 6 players over 30 who have put in momentumal effort in last 12 months and just did not have it in the tank. Firmino cannot fill Mane contribution and with injuries mounting up it's seems like we taking a huge gamble on Elliot and Carvalho to contribute to a premier League challenge with a handful games of experience because ox, Keita & thiago can't be relied upon to challenge on all front .wish we'd wish we'd sign a midfielder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It was a penalty. If that had NOT been given for us we would all be absolutely livid and shouting from the rooftops of the injustice of it all. Soft as **** but the attacker is always going to get those.

As for Darwin, attempting - and scoring - with the back heel flick on the 2nd attempt shows an audacity that I want our new striker to have. His confidence after the Community Shield and yesterday must be through the roof, what more could we ask for? It appears he has bedded in well within the group so hopefully he can just stay injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

The referee was very weak - It was a penalty in so far as once the referee had awarded it, there was no chance the decision was going to be reversed.

Late in the game one of the Fulham players (possibly Tete) threw themselves on the ground clutching their face when Liverpool intercepted the ball. That should have been a booking but the referee ignored it and awarded them a free kick moments later because another Fulham player was subsequently touched by a Liverpool player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

We need a robust midfielder like Gini was. Rarely missed a game. We have enough midfielders on paper only. Jones gets knocks. Ox same. Keita same. Henderson same. Fabinho same. Thiago same. Milner then is what ...36? It's of no surprise to anyone that Thiago is injured again.

This thread was pretty quiet after yesterdays draw with no input from rival fans. Has that come to an end on the forum or am I missing something? I would have expected a bit of back and forth after that result.

Seems different after being gone for 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think we'll see Spurs, Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool heading the table after first several games, as there are no head to heads going on. It could be a very competitive table

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I found myself disagreeing with Klopp in relation to his comments about the midfield, where he stated we had enough in midfield and had no need to go into the transfer market. Yes we have 8 midfielders which on a pure numbers basis you would think is enough. But it ignores other factors relevant when assessing the strength of the midfield. Don't think I am alone in thinking the midfield has needed looking at since Gini left. I would break down the midfield options as us having 4 first team starters Hendo, Fab, Thiago and Keita with Milner, Ox, Jones and Elliot as backup and rotation players. Of our 4 starters 2 of them are extremely injury prone in Thiago and Keita. Henderson is getting on and anyone who has watched our games will surely have noticed he is not as mobile or as effective in games as he was in his prime. He is still a great captain but signs are beginning to show that he is on the decline. He is at the stage we shouldn't be relying on him to play every week. As for Fab, he is probably our most consistent performer in that midfield, but he does miss the odd game and there have been some games, particularly last season, where I though some teams found it easy to play around him. The midfield as a whole lacks the legs and energy it used to.

As for the backups, Ox is the most injury prone of the lot. Seems to be available when we have a full strength midfield then gets injured when we need to start relying on him. At this stage I think it would have been best for him and the club if he found a new club this summer but doesn't look like it will happen. Who knows we might have looked to bring someone in if he had left. Elliot and Jones are still young players looking to realise their potential. Elliot looks the more likely to me as I am beginning to think Jones' progress has stalled a bit. Both still at a stage of their careers that it would be unfair on both to have to start a large number of games for a team with title aspirations. Milner has been a great servant and I was both surprised and delighted that he signed on for one more year. Truthfully though he should only be on the pitch in league games to close games out and rest one of the main lads. The fact we had to bring him on yesterday, not to rest a player and to close out a result, but to actually try and change the game is a big sign of how weak our midfield options are. I really hope the reason we are not buying a midfielder this season is because we are confident of getting Bellingham next season. If not we are playing a very high risky strategy with our midfield for the season. It didn't work out 2 seasons ago with the defense and didn't start too well yesterday.

As for the game yesterday a disappointing result but would take the point given how the game panned out. Already discussed the midfield but on a positive note was delighted to see both Nunez and Salah get on the scoresheet. Nunez is making it almost impossible for him not to start the next day, given Bobby's performance. Diaz needs a goal soon. Keeping an interesting eye on Carvalho's progress. Liked what I saw of him in preseason and will be interesting how much game time Klopp gives him. As for the goals, both came from poor defending I hope is just a blip. First goal was a poor team effort. Robertson doesn't close down the cross and Trent far too passive in trying to defend the cross. It is what I have come to expect from Trent at this stage unfortunately. I agreed with the peno. Soft but they tend to be given. One of those where VAR would always go with the onfield ref decision. Poor from VVD though.

Read today that 6 of our starting 11 where 30 or older first time that's happened since 1994,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

The only rival fans that do that are Utd, but they have their own issues. As they are playing today it was wise that they don’t cast stones in the glasshouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Everyone on Boards has massively matured during the summer. Honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Could be worse lads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.

Charles obviously knew a thing or two about football.

Seeing John Barnes labour in midfield in that team was a hard watch. There's a lesson there somewhere.

30 today is very different than it was was back then, Countinho is 30. You'd hardly call him washed up, Thiago just turned 31.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

If Jurgen really is happy with our numbers then I wonder who we were selling if we'd actually landed Touchameni to keep those numbers the same. Probably Ox and if that's the case we should buy one anyway cos he'll be gone next summer and probably barely play in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

We're not going to buy someone just to make up the numbers. Touchameni was identified as a top quality addition, same with Bellingham. Klopp will use the likes of Jones and Elliot this year and develop them. They'll wait for the right player. Just like they did at cb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

that Utd result should put the Fulham result into perspective, even the biggest clubs can be humbled by minnows

Should FSG undermine Klopp and go out and buy a midfielder because the squad looks short there or should they do what they have always done continue to back Klopp's decisions and wait for the Klopp to say find me a midfielder I like the looks of these 3 or 4 try and sign one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I'm not expecting us too but by next summer we'll need Bellingham and another top class player. Clearly the plan was one this summer and one next summer. The one this summer went somewhere else so we can't do what we usually do and wait until we can sign our number one target, he's gone to Madrid. In this instance we must sign our second choice whoever that may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I don't think we were ever going to sign both of those midfielders. Thats basically 200m on two mids. No chance we would spend that. I think the Touchameni money went towards Darwin. I'd imagine we might have gone for someone cheaper had we got him.

No way do I want Bellingham.

• Advertisement

I don't see the hype myself he's good like but I haven't seen anything amazing, Although I haven't seen loads of him

I'd love us to sign Barella

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

United lost more games than Brighton in the league last year.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

The only thing surprising about Brighton winning there earlier is that it's their first time at that dump.

Means relatively little in comparison to our poor showing yesterday, other than the oft-forgotten but basic tenet that if you fail to work as hard or harder than any PL opponent, you'll more than likely fail to get the result you want.

We only really showed up for 10-15mins yesterday and Fulham very much deserved everything they got. On another day, VVD wouldn't make a mistake leading to a pen and we might have gone for a winner given how the game was looking at that point, but I don't think anyone can complain about that final score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

West Ham have been woeful against City. One thing that p**ses me off with teams against City is when they just set up and expect defeat. How many times have we seen the only way you get joy against City is actually go at them and so few teams attempt it, City have not been great here at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

They were pushing for an equaliser and man city broke to score their second. The amount of managers that will see that goal and know they can do something to at least avoid that. That goal alone will convince the next couple of managers to just sit deep. Won't be any use to us.

I wonder will the injuries in midfield actually turn the team into a 4231

-------------------Hendo/Keita/Jones---------------Fab/Thiago/Ox---------------------

Salah/Elliott-------------------Bobby/Carvalho/Keita/Ox----------------------Jota/Diaz

--------------------------------------Nunez/Jota/Bobby-----------------------------------

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

West Ham just weren't great. Nothing to do with effort.

And learned the hard way that room in behind on the counter will be a big no-no against KDB with Haaland.

It happens.

One obvious area for improvement is our slow starts, we've conceded first in a heap of games towards the end of last season (it seems anyway) and again yesterday. We're good in attack, but we do make things hard in ourselves at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I agree they want to wait but I do think they'll get someone in short term.

Another body as a midfield option like Chelsea did with Saul Niguez last season has no real downsides. Keïta, Milner, Jones, Elliott, Henderson and Fabinho will get the starts while Thiago and Ox are out but with 5 subs having someone like Saul (not necessarily saying him but that level of experience rather than a kid) sounds sensible to me as a season long loan if the big targets aren't available

Florian Neuhaus is another I really like but think he just signed a new deal so wouldn't be available on loan

• Advertisement

Is Klopps philosophy put ahead of the greater good at times, the fans, the club, the result. He never seems to waiver in his approach. Looking at City today, and one thing is very clear, Haaland will run in behind us 20 times at Anfield if we play such a high line. And he has the burst of speed, that allows him to do it from 3 yards on side, waiting for VAR to say offside 20 time is wishful thinking.

Another example is last season away to City, I would imagine most, if not all, were looking for us to do a job on City, frustrate them, sit deep, pick them off on the break, get the result and push your philosophy aside for the greater good, it didn't happen though, we played so high, and could have been down 4-0 in first half.

CL final another example, wise old Madrid knew how to win that final, we played as we always do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I think pretty much everyone here wants to see another midfielder come in, but I personally can’t see it happening. FSG just seem to flat-out refuse short term deals unless it’s a literal emergency like when Kabak was brought it. That frustrates me a little if I’m being honest, as they’re very focused on the long term (which is no bad thing) but we do sometimes pay the price in the here-and-now with their recruitment strategy.

I’ve blamed FSG here but it could just as easily be Klopp’s preference, none of us really know for sure what the balance of power really is in those matters.

I recall Sangare being mooted as a potential transfer target after we missed out on Tchouameni, and it appears he’s just signed a new contract at PSV so that’s him off the table at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Those Haaland goals scare the deck out of me.

Don't think he's going to be anything other than a sensation at City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Here's the thing, unless you win the final/league you are going to be second guessed. Had we changed our style and lost then people would have said he should have stuck with his philosophy and game plan that got you there.

Not within our control so we cannot be worried about it other than the 2 times we play against them. City have always scored lots of goals so one player scoring 45 and the team scoring 95 is less than last year so it would be a regression. Last season City drew 2-2 against West Ham, they had 78% possession and 31 shots and scored 2, West Ham had 6 shots and 2 on target and scored 2 goals. This season City had 75% possession, had 4 shots and scored 2 goals and West Ham had 6 shots at goal and scored none. The difference may be that West Ham scored on the break in the first half, because you are playing on the break if you have 22% possession in a game, and this time City kept them out.

What does this mean? I don't know, but City has always looked formidable at the start of the season. In their first 3 fixtures in past seasons they have had the following results for them, 2019 5-0 West Ham away, 2018 6-1 Huddersfield home, 2021 5-0 at home to both Norwich and Arsenal. All of these within their first 3 fixtures. They started slowly in 2020, but they had no pre-season as it was that weird season where they played CL in August and the season started in September. So we can disregard that. I will say they don't look as threatening with the pace of Sterling and Jesus on the wings. Grealish is not providing them width and neither is Maharez or Foden. Now Foden is better at it than Maharez but they are not the same as the 2 they are replacing. They will still create a lot and Haaland will score a lot, but even today it seemed a little one dimensional with Grealish on the one side.

All we need to do is focus on ourselves. I think we are still in pre-season mode, the fact we had a behind the doors friendly against Villa today says that much. We now have more than a week until the next match and then the big one against United. The long road to challenge has started with a bump, but there is a lot of upheaval to come still. The fact that some of our players will not be going to the World Cup and almost all of City's players other than Haaland should go will play a role as well in how the season turns out for both.

I'm good with following Klopps philosophy, it's stood is well over the years, it's great to watch, and it works. It's not perfect, but it's great craic. Changing it to Chelsea Lite, or boring the pants off everyone like City may not work anyway, especially without some Oil state buying us up, so **** it, stick to the plan lads!

Just for one off games of importance. I recall Wenger doing it, just to prove a point, as he was see as a push over when it came to City. So he went there and did them on them.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/30874748

Ah no, I have said before IF there is a weakness in Klopps outlook it's his inflexibility when it comes to approach re:formation etc.

Even when we were down to the bones a couple of years ago, he stuck with his 433,high line etc, even though we hadn't the players available to play it.

It's a weakness of sorts, but it all comes as part of the package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The friendly today v Aston Villa was cancelled because of the amount of injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We didn't though we left an experienced midfielder go who was never ever injured for a world class injury prone midfielder. We knew exactly what we were getting with thiago, top of his game he is mesmerising to watch but he'll miss 10-15 games in the league.

Even with the talk about Bellingham next year we need another midfielder now. Jones I don't rate, Elliot and carvalho are raw, fabinho can't be expected to play every game, Henderson is getting on and has his share of injuries, keita always injured and milner is 36.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

I would be very worried for any team including Liverpool playing a high line against City with Haaland in the team. He is quick and very strong.

Advertisement