Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where is the cost of living crisis exactly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

I am insulated to a large degree. Obviously still see the huge difference in costs.

I always think how the hell do people on minimum wage or even up to 40k-50k per year survive. I guess the word is surviving rathering than thriving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yea tis very worrying stuff when you see people on 50k+ a year struggling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

With the whole climate change issue, this crisis might be a good thing. Less consumerism should lead less emissions. Pain now for gain in the long run. We will all suffer if we don't try and reign in our emissions.

Can society be happier with less? I believe so. Especially if we dont have to work as hard.

...we clearly need to reduce consumption, but in order to do that, we also need to try figure out this wealth inequality thingy with it, or else....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I haven’t had to cut back on anything, but I have less left over at the end of the month as I did previously, so I definitely see an impact and I don’t like it.

@Cork Lass ”Why don't you explain that to the portion of your students that will probably be coming to school hungry from Sept on”

That’s really not the OP’s problem, but the parents’. We all make our choices and need to live with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The media, as usual have over-played and over-hyped the crisis. Sensationalism sells!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

I'm on 38k. Employer put up the prices and rates he charges customers as his cost of materials and products has increased. Complains to staff to be more efficient with production, repair, utilities etc.

Nobody in the company has gotten a raise. All requests refused. One long serving individual told "if you can find someone to pay you more then maybe you should go"

Company has never been busier

yea, some companies are cleaning up, but their costs have sky rocketed as well, this wont end well, wages have to rise, or else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

People in the public sector ( see the thread) seem to think everyone in private sector is getting raises across the board and now they want a piece of the pie too.

Almost everyone is feeling increased cost of living but lower paid (mostly in private sector) are getting absolutely crucified

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

If someone is on €50k in Ireland with no dependencies and can only "survive" they need to take a serious look at where their money is going.

many public sector workers are also in trouble to, we really need to truly get over ourselves with this public v's private sector thingy also, i.e. we re all getting fcuked, we just all at different stages of fcukedness

we ve completed fcuked up our property markets, this is where the biggest problem still lies, most cant renegotiate their terms, so its either pay up every month, or else.....

I wonder if that would ever happen though. The bell curve of wealth distribution seems fairly set in stone worldwide, some are very poor, some very rich with most stuck in the middle. How would we go about doing this. You would almost need to go back a communist type society but that would stifle the incentive for hard work and innovation.

What appears to be happening is a slow ramp of the pain to allow people time to adjust. Any major quick changes would cause uprisings and riots. But its a bit of a race between climate change and changes on people lifestyles and consumption habits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its when the cold weather comes and oil has to be used that it will really hit most people, I drive about 400 km a week and can see the extra cost of diesel adding up over the past few months.

I live alone so even in winter just have the heat on for about 2 hours in the evening and a turf fire for the rest of the night but in a house where there are old people or kids and heat has to be going all day its going to hit those folks hard.

not at all, theres some great ideas out there on how we could attempt to, and still maintain a good standard of living for all, in fact i think they d probably dramatically improve it for all, and have no need to be radically changing our political and economic ideologies, capitalism has been bloody powerful after all....

I'd say it will be like 1980s with 1 warm room in the house downstairs and a ton of blankets when going up to sleep in a cold bedroom.

• Advertisement

maybe, but i dont think it has to be so, there really is some great ideas out there on how to resolve all of this, but very few may ever come to be sadly

I was more talking about single income families family.

But if you consider single person on 50k (taking home around 38k that?) with a car and a mortgage and bills to pay they ain’t gonna be flush with cash like people think.

The level of bitterness seen around these threads is ingeneral an amazement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Max Keller

Any financial benefit from wfh has been eroded now as this was offsetting the increases in the household bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm lucky enough to have a small mortgage, can put money by each month for annual bills and utilities, have an economical car, a good salary and live alone.

Despite that I notice the bite of inflation. So far in petrol and grocery shopping which have really increased. I don't live a caviar and champagne lifestyle, most of my shopping is done in Aldi and Lidl, but the cost seems to be nudging up each week.

That's in summer when very little electricity is used and the heating is off. Prices are expected to increase again in the autumn so I'll really notice that once the dark, cold days and nights return.

Anyone with children and childcare and/or back to school costs must be starting to panic. Christmas is just around the corner then too. It's going to be a tough winter for many, particularly for pensioners solely reliant on the state pension and living in houses with poor energy efficiency. I've said this before but the last recession wasn't as tough because the cost of living came down dramatically. Utilities and groceries were very cheap at that time. The opposite is happening now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The OP is like a homeowner wondering what all this housing crisis news is about. Damn people who cant find places to live, who the devil do they think they are? Why dont they have a house, like me??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jack monroe (the UK food writer and campaigner on poverty issues, especially around nutrition) was on BBC's 'more or less' a few months back explaining why inflation on foodstuffs impacts people on low incomes more than high incomes (TL;DL - 'budget' items such as value lines of pasta, etc., have seen far greater relative price increases than middle of the road or premium lines)

begins at 7:50 in; and bear in mind this predated the wark in ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

sorry very busy right now, but i do really like the idea of using sovereign wealth funds, but theres loads of other ideas also

You might get back to it when you have the time, I'd like to see what ideas you have

virtually none of them are my ideas, but from respected sources, some are well thought out, some are even already implemented in other countries, and seem to work reasonably well, with issues of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Yea trolling and dismissive of people going through tough times is shitey alright.

Understandably each person circumstance is different but to say mine is commonplace among everyone else deserves a little bit of criticism.

ah most ideas would have inherent issues with them, theres no one hit wonders here, no perfect solutions, probably never will be either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

The crisis is an expectation crisis.

The young woken class want everything handed to them.

Try working and bettering yourself instead of demanding a grown up salary for part time teenager jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

CSO figures here last week showed this is happening here too.

The very significant cuts in public transport costs in recent months will have made the headline figure lower; the actual rose on many of the categories that contribute to inflation will be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭JizzBeans

Yes it is obvious I'm not a maths teacher, I specifically said so in a previous post. Im not sure what the point of your post is. Its an unsubstantiated rant.

You should be a politician, you say so much but with so little meaning

I didn't ask. My initial point was I didn't see a crisis

fcuk that, lifes too short, easily the sh1ttest job ever!

Lots of posters here taking swipes at me for now apparent reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wezz

Well with an opening post like yours what did you expect? Fair enough you haven’t personal experience of it but that does mean those who do are lying or exaggerating. It’s very real as I’m sure you’ll soon realise when you have parents who can’t afford voluntary contributions or supplies. I did think a teacher would be a little more aware of things like this tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If you have the ability to cut costs, inflation can be counteracted. Luckily I am fortunate enough to be in this privileged position, as are many others, and I keep an eye out on my spending, drive the car a bit less to cut diesel costs, buy supermarket own brands instead of expensive brands for some items I feel are very good substitutes, cut out frivolous and impulse purchases etc....by doing this I can keep my cost of living consistent with where it was last year. I do want to change my car but the cost to change is very high at the moment so I'm holding off. As you can see, no real pain for me just a few mild irritants but I will very much survive.

However, many were already pinned to their collar as regards costs for just essentials and can't cut further without real pain and discomfort. There will be adults going without so children can eat and there will be children going to bed and to school hungry and in rags, looking back I can remember the children like this in my class in the 80s in primary school. Not many, but through the eyes of an adult, I recognise it now. It could have been parental neglect but it could also have been parents doing their best but just couldn't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

^^^^^^^^^^Couldn't agree more. Astounded that a teacher is so unaware of what's going on in the lives of so many people. They might have a different attitude when the Government start making cuts to public sector pay as will surely happen in the not too distant future.

Sorry but you cant move sideways in centra on Saturday morning with so many yobs buying chicken fillet rolls. MacDonalds and BK are the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

This craic of people moving to own brands versus big brands. Has got to eventually hit those companies profits soon?

i don’t mean this towards you but I see a lot of people i Ireland posting this type of thing. A great reset. The rich blah blah.

If you look at it objectively if you live in Ireland you are the rich. Globally. Which means any reset of levelling means your income and standard of living has to fall to level up the people below.

Oh right. It’s just those richer than you that should pay. Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I'm actually a little shocked OP at your comment. I totally get your not affected yourself which is brilliant but if you're a teacher you surely would have seen it in your classroom before the summer holidays. There was a survey published in May/June that stated 1 in 5 kids are living in poverty. In a class of 25 that's 5 kids. I am also a teacher and wouldn't doubt this for a second. And in some parts of the country its is more than that. I know of parents working 3 jobs to keep things afloat.

We are lucky in that we haven't been affected too much. Yes it costs more to fill my car and my shopping and utility bills have gone up but we are far from poor. I do find myself thinking more carefully when shopping now and meal planning more and I also find I have less disposable income than I used to but we will (fingers crossed) be okay. My husband works in the private sector so his job could be affected but hopefully that won't happen. We are lucky in that we have minimal childcare costs and we will have our mortgage paid fully in the next few years but this is not the norm for a couple on their mid to late 30s.

Winter will be interesting. I am watching the price of kerosene almost daily to see when is the best time to buy so we should be okay this year. We also have an open fire so of it came to it we can light that. Someone mentioned about in that it could be like the 80s when people used blankets and only heated one room. My husband tells me daily that, that is how we will live this winter. But all joking aside my home house in the late 80s had frost on the inside of my bedroom windows most mornings of the winter. And it didn't do me any harm. We all could do with cutting back a little bit but food or heating shouldn't be the choices we face.

• Advertisement

ah plenty of tricks still left up their sleeves with share buy backs, potential bail outs, debt forgiveness etc etc, wouldnt be worrying too much about them.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Many of the big firms make own brands too. Weetabix is a notable one - basically all the own brands are identical and made by them. Too much effort for someone to build the kit to make them when they can buy them at the back door and relabel

It still impacts them in terms of margin, but not as badly as it seems

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, they sell weetabix to the people who want their premium brand, and those on a tighter budget buy dunnesabix, so they sell more than they otherwise would have.

they're not necessarily identical, though; they might use a cheaper ingredients mix for the own brand stuff.

For non essentials, I don't think just the rich should pay. I think the polluter should pay, whoever they are. But the richer people are, the more polluting they do generally.

I don't see a way that richer societies are going to curb conspicuous consumerism unless money is taken out of their pockets. The risk is mass layoffs and social anarchy. But I'd like to think there is the possibilty of a world where we earn less but also work less and get things back in balance a bit more. I think we can be as happy with less stuff.

When you read about the hedonic treadmill you come away with this feeling that people are never happy for long, always desiring more.

the only issue with the polluter pays approach, under modern political and economic ideologies, thats generally always the end user, and virtually nothing to do with the actual creators of the goods in the first place, i.e. market forces are almost completely exonerated from the process of responsibility

• Advertisement
Advertisement