Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd love if they brought it to the switch, can't see it happening though at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's no different to anything else in life; a healthy, moderate amount is beneficial, good for you - too much is corruptive. Chocolate, red wine, video games etc. etc. maybe cigarettes are the exception lol 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

I started both Death Stranding & Observer system redux the other day . I wasn't sure whether I would like the previous even when i'm a huge MGS fan and I thought I would like the latter . I LOVE death stranding , after 5 hours anyways . I had to delete observer after 90 mins or so . What a load of rubbish . I thought it was supposed be one of bloober teams only good games but i nearly found it as bad as the medium . I spent 20mins twice in two them sequences where you ' plug in ' and it was like the biggest waste time iv ever put into gaming . your literally doing nothing but watching an epilepsy inducing party with all the flashing and noise . I genuinely found the sound good and engrossing at start but jesus them ' dream ' sequences were terrible and just ruined game for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I don't know, I remember the oldest woman in the world was on TV for her birthday and was asked what her secret for a long life was. She said it was one cigarette a day 😯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love videogames but sometimes they make you want to put your fist through your PC/console.

Like today. I've been working on trying to beat the esoteric PS1 japanese only rogue-like 'Baroque' for the past couple of days. Being a rogue like it can be fairly brutal. Not only that but progressing the story can be hard to figure out, it would make From Software designers think it was a bit too confusing at times.

Anyway today I got a very lucky run. Got some stupidly good weapons and buffs created early. Not only that but all the story pieces fell into place and the path was open to the final area of the game. This took over 3 hours to get to. No saves as it's a rogue like, only temporary saves that are deleted on loading. Got to the ending. Emulator crashes when it tries to play the final cutscene.

Figure 1: Artist's impression of Retr0gamer tonight.

Thankfully a streamer had finished the game and uploaded the ending and I watched that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BBC4 tonight at 8pm. Prom does videogame music.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

While playing the main storyline in GTA V, there is a book called Red Dead by J Marston on the bookshelf in Franklin's house:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

On the topic of GTA V I jumped into single player for a hoon around in a car and noticed there is a new radio station. Am I going mad or was there a new station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

That's the "next gen" version you're talking about ?

Can't seem to recall any mention of new content with the latest lick of paint.

What platform are you playing on ?

I'm playing on the Xbox Series X. The station was beside west coast classics. Well when I say beside it was in the slot where WCC is which is why I noticed it. I have played this game on PC and Xbox many times and that radio station was never in the slot where WCC is.

With Gotham Knights coming out soon and looking bang average, I decided to try the old Arkham games again as they are all on PS Plus. Started with Origins which i loved on PS3 but it's unplayable streaming through the Plus, the lag is unreal. Not getting that from other games though so it's strange, had to drop it.

Jumped into Arkham City which was fun but again, streaming it felt off and unresponsive. Not as bad as Origins but still not fun to play.

Downloaded Arkham Knight which was not my list favourite in the series but it's fantastic to play. Smooth as butter and looks great. I was just gonna try it before heading into Asylum but think I'll keep going with Knight.

It's weird how better it looks than upcoming Gotham Knights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Never played any of the others apart from City and Asylum but I do think something was lost moving from a more constrained location such as Arkham to the sprawling busywork from City's more open location. Asylum was basically a metroidvania brawler. As always, there's a loss in focus and direction when the boundaries open out; that's not to say City wasn't fun. Just preferred Asylum on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I preferred City overall. I know what you mean about the move to the open world, but I think it was still small and constrained enough that all the external areas were distinct, and linked to interior areas which still had more of that metroidvania feel. Traversal was also a joy and never took too long to get from one side of the city to the other.

Knight however was too large and all looked the same to the point where a lot was lost because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Yup, they took the wrong lessons each time until you ended up motoring around an empty Gotham in Knight doing quasi-Ubisoft busywork.

Origins is galling in its cynicism sometimes, especially how it tries to distract from the fact it's reusing City map (and badly), but does actually have some of the most inspired sequences in the series — the final boss being a predator encounter, for example. I feel the asterisk besides Origins is a little unfair considering it feels more like an Arkham game than whatever Knight became, even if it didn't come from Rocksteady.

I liked Asylum and City. Knight was a complete chore I found and I still do not know to this day why I completed it. I should have just left it as that is how much I disliked it.

It had a lot to like, I recall, they just went out of their way to bury it in nonsense. The excavator fight was some Wacky Races level horseshit.

All the Batmobile combat bits were just awful. The Arkham Knight and Deathstroke tank fights were just abysmal and infuriating.

Pretty much everything to do with the Batmobile was horrible, and it was shoehorned into so many puzzles and missions.

The rest of the core gameplay was just so good that it carried the rest of the game.

The Batmobile was great in theory, faster and cooler way to get around a big city but yeah absolutely shoehorned in. Riddler made underground race tracks to test Batman? And then needed for so many puzzle bits it's like, yeah you spent a lot of money on developing it and want people to use it.

The combat and traversing the night sky as Batman is sublime though.

• Advertisement

That's fair; one thing those games absolutely nailed was the simple act of traversing the world. You felt powerful, a threat. But in terms of structure I just found Asylum was just more precise and curated.

Batmobile was fine in spurts, some of its puzzles uses are inspired in the main quest and it was actually fun to drive on occasion. Then they went and added just so much of it that nobody has any goodwill for it. Locking progression behind that awful, awful stealth-tank fight nonsense was especially hellish.

It's definitely a tough choice between the two, and certainly no wrong choice. I think I just enjoyed the gadgets and upgrades of City, as well as the story and expanded cast of characters. Every time I played Asylum I just dreaded the parts where you fight Titans. At least in City they were used more sparingly. But the level and environment design in Asylum is terrific, and like you say it was more precise and a tighter affair which really helped the storytelling and progression.

I replayed Knight last year too and it was better than I remembered, but that was me bulling through all the Batmobile sections as quickly as possible, and knowing how best to manage them.

Origins I only played at launch. It was okay, but very buggy, and some of the upgrades were overpowered. The larger city felt too lifeless as well.

I'm not holding out a lot of hope for either Gotham Knights or Suicide Squad though. The whole "It's co-op but you can play it solo if you want" is rarely done well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH the decline of the Arkham series to me is something of a prototypical example of what happens in the AAA sequel space. A first game establishes a rock solid design template, but that’s diluted in further games as the developers focus on a bigger scope. The Riddler trophies are the perfect example: a selection of cool little puzzles in Asylum, tedious collectibles in the subsequent games.

Yes, there’s some cool Batman traversal stuff in City, but it represented such a rapid and sharp descent into open world tedium that I still wish we’d have gotten another game with the more focused and tight design present in Asylum. Tbh it’s representative of how quickly and definitely single player games devolved over the course of the 360 / PS3 era in general: from the big budget 6-10 hour games that opened the generation to the sprawling icon-clearers that have only become more sprawling and icon-filled in the generations since.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,028 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah for Knight I cleared up all the villains except the Riddler trophies and, after reading it was a tank battle, Deathstroke.

Which felt like a bit of a '**** you' to Origins considering the Deathstroke fight in that was one of the best arguments for that game's existence.

Have Asylum a go tonight and it's so good. Focused, great story, great progression and unlocking parts of the map. No lag at all, the difference between the performance of this and Origins is huge! I always read about the Origins performance issues but when i owned it originally, it played very smooth for me. Unplayable streaming it now which is a pity because it had some great stories, especially with the Joker backstory, and boss fights.

Asylum though, that was truly groundbreaking when it was first released and still holds up.

Ghost of Tsushima is an excellent game.

Felt like another Sony/ubi monogame to me from the little I played. Gave it a hard pass.

• Advertisement

Question for those who play games with a main storyline and side missions (like Far Cry games for example).

Do you just focus on the main storyline, or do you do a mix of the storyline and side missions?

Advertisement