Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2022-23 - mod note in OP 12/03/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looks like Arsenal dodged a bullet in not getting Martinez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Brighton absolutely robbed of a penalty, that’s actually one of the worst decisions I’ve seen since VAR came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Salford ref doing his level best for his local team here. Two absolute joke decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

You'd need to rewatch the VVD one yesterday about 10 times to maybe see where there was possible contact, but that one just now wasn't given? Clear as day barge in the back.

Did VAR even look?

The ref had a good view. It should have been a simple decision for the on pitch ref tbh.

• Advertisement

Whether they hold on for the win or not, there should be an inquest from Brighton over such a blatant refusal from the referee and VAR to adhere to the rules of the game. There is literally nothing about that incident you could argue in favour of Martinez and United.

Rashford should be burying that after Ronaldo put it on a plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think deJong will be blocking ten Hag's number from his phone and sitting tight in Barca.

Watched his interview on Sky yesterday and he reminds very much of Rodgers for some reason.

After the apology from PGMOL to Everton last season over the ridiculous non-penalty for Rodri’s handball, the precedent has been set now. They can make whatever obscene decisions they like to affect the course of a game to their liking and the only consequence will be a meek “we’re sorry”.

2-1. Looks like a comical O.G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

VAR is mad. They spend ages looking at Utd’s goal to see if they can give it and then don’t even call the ref over for the Brighton one.

Never mind not calling the ref over, they didn’t even look at it themselves.

Really hope Brighton can see this win out so justice can be done. They should be as good as 3-0 up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Didn't VAR miss a similar incident on Jota against Spurs last year and they came out and said it was an error and that incidents like that will be penalised in the future. Well that one was absolutely identical to the Jota one and they did nothing, ridiculous inconsistencies!

Sancho has been dismal.

Well deserved win for Brighton, glad to see them do it despite the referee’s best efforts.

Cracking result for Brighton.

The scoreline flattered Utd tbh. Brighton were superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Deserved win by Brighton. The ref from Salford needs standing down after that performance- ridiculous.

Fair play to Brighton. Deserved their win despite losing their two best players in the window. Same old story with United, which is no surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Some Man U fans booing them off first game of the season. Patient bunch 🤣😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

United and Old Trafford have lost their aura and that's very hard to get back.

There won't be a team in the league that fear going to Old Trafford anymore and every single Premier League team will believe they can go there and win this season.

Well, in fairness I’d say it was most likely the players that it was directed towards. And how much more patience should they be shown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

12 man United fail to beat the mighty Brighton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

think fabianski just sandwiched his balls there on landing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Going to be very intriguing to see how Ten Hag works out

His style of football is almost as possession reliant as City's & works when your the best team but United are no where near the best team and could suffer majorly when the turn the ball over,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

just saw it on SSN, oh my god. what's going on with all these manchester VAR officials?

peno to city

one of those peno's i dont agree with, where the attacker leaves his leg trailing to get the contact.

and haaland scores from the spot

Have to say as brilliant as they are City are very boring to watch

• Advertisement

How bad must the German league be when Sancho & Werner where ripping it apart,

Here's played a number of different styles through out his career, in the end at ajax it was very heavily possession based but not in the Early days and not at other clubs seems to be very adaptable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

New manager’s fist competitive game...would suggest they give him a few more. When they were playing in Oz 2 or 3 weeks ago all we were hearing was ‘TenHaagBall’. Honeymoon period didn’t last long

I think it was an athletic visual i saw a few weeks back comparing transfers between the "big 5" leagues, players going from Germany to England had the highest drop off in output.

does anyone have the link to the sky article a few days ago on the amount of fouls teams committed last season?

they had loads of graphs and data, where the fouls happened, how many got yellows, all that sort sort of stuff.

haaland with a double now. he looks formidable with the power and pace

• Advertisement

Haaland making a big statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Haaland is gonna keep scoring all season if he stays fit. Injuries are his biggest obstacle now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's interesting looking at the positioning of some of the City players while in possession.

Foden & Grealish are staying very very wide, almost playing in a wingback type position and then Walker is coming very central beside Rodri at times, with Cancelo doing pretty much the same. This allows KDB & Gundogan to push up much higher and closer to Haaland too.

It's like the midfield 3 is actually Rodri, Cancelo & Walker

Joao Cancelo is gliding past players like they aren’t even there. Some player for a full back.

Haaland has been brilliant and will be score loads but I can't help thinking City look less of a threat than usual,

Although it's 75 minutes into the first game so very hard to call ,

• Advertisement

when will kalvin phillips regret taking the money? his chances of being involved in the world cup diminish the longer he sits on the bench, and who does he replace? rodri is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He makes it even less likely that opposition teams will come out at all against them.

As we saw for that 2nd, if you leave any space behind, you're done. He's a cheat code of a striker.

His running off the ball, in general, is absolutely insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

City looking unstoppable again ...racking up another league title I'm afraid. It's becoming like Bayern in the Bundesliga...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm as critical of City and their ways as anyone.

But if they genuinely get another one, after their changes over the summer, including losing Sterling, Zinchenko and Jesus (key squad components for years), with Liverpool no doubt keeping them honest, and Spurs and Arsenal genuinely stronger than ever, I have to give them every plaudit from a pure team management perspective.

Yes they have a cheat code striker, but they still have big adjustments to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's a bit dramatic. The league was decided on the final day last season

haaland swearing a few times in the interview. geoff trying to keep him in line. anything that throw's shreeves off balance I am happy with after his glee in telling ivanovic he would miss the CL final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Liked Haaland's line in the interview there;

"Well, it's been almost 30 minutes since I scored my last goal, so I have to keep going".

(and accidentally swore, I'd say Sky were delighted it was slightly prerecorded so they could bleep it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It was pretty obvious to all that Haaland would come good but christ hes found his feet fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

I know Pep wants to change how Haaland plays but anyone that's ever seen him play knows that second goal is his bread and butter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Been that way got a while now, Walker and Cancelo underlapping like that. Works fine when you have 70/75% possession, if you do give away the ball, it's critical you press hard to get it back immediately, or foul before a counter attack reaches what is often a back 2 or maybe 3.

City are quite good at it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement