Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

31 crosses yesterday imagine that, you'd swear we'd John Carew in attack.

How does that happen, is it the game plan or do the players do their own thing? No leadership on the pitch then to identify that isn't effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

If only we had of got Eddie howe or somebody else with prem experience , job he's done at Newcastle compared to what Gerrard has done is chalk and cheese

Post edited by sc86 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Didn’t see the game yesterday yet, so I can’t comment on the performance. But I’m not surprised to see the reaction to it. Dean Smith’s Villa was easy to get behind even when it wasn’t that good.

Gerrard on the other hand has done nothing to endear himself to anyone. So the reaction to him will always turn negative much quicker. Likeability goes a long way to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Especially with the Mings comment yesterday which was completely unnecessary possibly a clumsy attempt at motivation and man management. It seems he’s done this before comments from Rangers fans was that SG would on occasion publicly criticise the players if results didn’t go their way.

He seems quite desperate to have a certain reputation. I will love it if he ends up being a success because it will mean Villa are successful, but he is difficult to root for on his own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭chases0102

Coutinho, while a class act, contributing nothing - I know Mingus is very error prone but at least he can do basic defending/leadership. I feel the whole captaincy thing is going to come back to haunt SG - it was a big call that smacked of SG wishing to take control, stamp his authority - you’d say something if the armband was given to a genuine, experienced and natural leader - McGinn doesn’t do that for me. I know it’s literally game 1 but nature of defeat on Saturday was pathetic.

Villa were with ten men when BOU scored their first goal on Saturday - Digne was off pitch to take off his jewellery. Be funny if it wasn’t so embarrassing,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Coutinho is a luxury player, if we had a midfield controlling a game and feeding him the ball constantly he would make things happen.

If we can solve the midfield everything else improves, for now Buendia should be starting as he contributes to the combativeness of midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Coutinho looks best served as impact sub at the minute , doesn't do enough to be starting.

The Coutinho singing in general bought Gerrard lots of time at the start as it was huge name to join us.

The way mings has been treated is poor , yes he makes mistakes but always gave his best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Coutinho has been brutal since he left Liverpool. He didn't cut it at Barcelona or Bayern. The lower end of both leagues would struggle in the Championship and he still didn't make an impact. I'm with JPA, Buendia in ahead of him all day long.

Theres a bit of rumor of some unrest in the club as well on twitter.Traore wants to stay but he's being forced out and training with the U23 but bery much liked in the dressing room, El Ghazi got a mention as well. The players are being told to clean up the canteen and dressing room. If it's true, yeah it's good manners/practice but these lads are Pro Footballers, not boy scouts.

Gerrard seems like a proper pr*ck and you can’t get away with it unless you’re Fergie level.

• Advertisement

If any of it is true, yeah, seems that way. I personally didn't think he's the man for the job from before he got it and that's a hard thing to get out of the head. He's got some exciting signings that Smith just wouldn't have got in fairness but it's not like the team is pulling up trees.

I was optimistic about him, but I’m also not one to keep a stance out of stubbornness.

Im not even defeatist about Gerrard. He may still turn this around and be successful at the club. But we can’t ignore what his reign has been so far.

rumours of unrest dont surprise me. I thought the range of fines for being messy and turning up late etc, that were publicised a few weeks ago, were somewhat childish and not the way I’d expect to see professionals in their day to day life treated. Didn’t paint Gerrard in a positive light at all…..I know there are often fines in sporting organisations for all sorts of things but the way it was presented in public was like something from Ted Lasso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

OTB just got stuck into Gerrard. Hard to argue with any of it.

Was just about to post on that. I was taken aback by the tone, but hard to argue with the statistics, and how his recent decisions have been communicated. A worse record now than Neville at Valencia is a pretty damning statistic, but it still seems to have come as a surprise. I didn’t see highlights of the game on Saturday, but sounds like the tactics after going a goal down were woeful.

looking forward to the in-depth Gerrard and Villa piece later in the week

wonder the odds of first manager of the season to be sacked?

Haven't heard the OTB comments.

Mings has done far more for Villa than Gerrard has, he will have the fans on his side. I could never question Mings effort levels and going against him will sour Gerrard's relationship with the other players too.

Regarding the rules etc why the need to impose them rules? Are players turning up late to training/meetings etc? Is there a lack of discipline in the squad? Certainly a lack of leaders, we know that.

It's embarrassing hearing stories of a manager falling out with players etc, not something you'd usually associate with our club.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Those rules/fines are at every club up and down the country. Villa's just got leaked for some reason.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Also on the Mings thing, it would be quickly forgotten about if we start getting results. He was getting hammered by a few on here, probably myself included, so to see him dropped is not a major issue for me, it's just the fact he was captain complicates things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

The Everton game this weekend suddenly becomes huge. Win and a lot of this talk goes away, but lose and it gets about 10 times worse.

If Gerrard isnt popular with the players or the fans, it wont take much for him to be gone (if this form continues). The club was pretty ruthless with Smith, and he was popular with both fans and players.

• Advertisement

Yeah lose this and VP goes toxic. It's not a case of 2 games in either, it's a continuation from the rubbish we endured last season too that's weighing on supporters backs.

You'd wonder will he change it up much. My guess is he'll drop Ramsey and Ings.

Not aimed at you OneColdHand, I focused on the first goal we conceded to Bournemouth and Digne was on the pitch and in the box defending, I know there was rumours he was off the pitch messing with jewelery, thankfully that's not true.

Luiz to sign a new 3 year contract.

Now play him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Bolton away in the League cup.

That's good news.

He hasn't produced in ages but he's an experienced premier League player capped by Brazil, still only 24, has a high ceiling and his transfer fee can only increase now.

Would be shocked if he doesn't play ahead of Ramsey this weekend.

Post edited by Esse85 on

Looks like Traore is heading to Turkey on loan for the season.

Was it £18m we paid? Some of the money wasted on transfers/fees is incredible.

Had a decent first season but wasn't given a chance last.

What's the 10:40 flight from DUB to BHX for 15:00 kick offs does anyone know?

• Advertisement

He was constantly injured and unfit, how do you give a chance to a guy like that? Made a miraculous recovery for the African Cup of Nations tho.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I will be happy if Luiz signs for another 3 years. He has never been a DM and hopefully now if he signs he will get back in the side and with Kamara behind him we can hopefully see the best of him. Does make me think we might not be seeing another CM signed though as I was expecting that to happen if he left.

I actually didn't have any issue with Mings losing the captaincy but totally understand people questioning his replacement. For the past year Villa fans have been calling Mings out for his performances and saying he always has a mistake in him so I can see why he could be droppable and not an automatic starter which being captain might entail. That said he has said the right things from the outside since losing the captaincy and I did read that he was doubtful due to carrying a knock going into the Bournemouth game so my hope is that the media is overblowing the issue between him and Mings because of how Stevie answered the question non the topic and cos they need to write stories. Would like to see him with a point to prove beside Carlos vs Everton.

The one area where I do worry about Gerrard is his love for Coutinho as I think most people would like to see Beundia start the next game. Beundia, Mings, Luiz and Watkins coming inall with a point to prove could be interesting.

Agreed on Buendia should be in ahead of Coutinho. I think he offers way more in the defensive side and attacking. No doubt Coutinho has a better set of clips on YouTube but most of those will be in a Liverpool Jersey and i wonder if SG still sees him as that same player.

I'd also keep Traore if finances allow. Last weeks game is exactly where he should be brought on. His runs on the ball would offer something different to the constant crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Last time I can remember rumours of strict regime like that was when Houllier was in charge, who had McAllister as his assistant. Can't be a coincidence that Gerrard also has McAllister as his assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Kesler-Hayden has joined Huddersfield on loan and with Guilbert probably departing as well, it seems like Konsa or Chambers or even Ashley Young will be the back-up for Cash.

Keinan Davis is joining Watford on loan with an option to buy. Surprised that Forest didn't go ahead and sign him, but he should do well at Watford and get us a fee eventually.

Along with Guilbert, El Ghazi, Sanson, Bertrand Traore and I'd imagine Nakamba have all been told to find new clubs. I'd be surprised if we got a fee for any of them and are probably looking at loaning them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

No bundiea or bailey, Everton have no striker

In fairness to Coutinho he is playing some excellent sideways passes.

Great goal.

Ings goal Ollie assist. Villa dominating the ball but look shaky from set pieces

That's more like it.

But shakey at the back.

Buendia is far better than Coutino.

Another Ollie assist, this time bundiea who I have no idea why he is so far behind couthino in Gerrard's eyes.

2-1, it's never easy with villa

Yeh, radio 5 commentator after Everton drag one wide just now: “what is going on…..it really should not be like this”

If Buendia ever gets subbed off again when he has at least one functional limb, I am rioting.

Wasnt a great performance, but 3 points.

• Advertisement

Stumbled over the line, very unconvincing at the end, Everton could easily of levelled.

Same players missing in Coutinho and McGinn. Buendia is just class. Watkins had a chance to wrap it up and his awful first touch pushed him wide.

Delighted for Mings, he was solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Fwiw, I haven't abandoned this thread, but am on holiday. I'm claiming this win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Looks like potentially a serious injury for Diego Carlos.

Looked like cramp watching on TV, but apparently he has an issue around the ankle or achilles. If it is the achilles and that's torn, he is practically out for the season. Will get an MRI to judge but the Villa medical staff according to Steven Gerrard are very worried. Would be typical as he has hardly missed a game in the past 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Gerrard didn’t manage the substitutions very well. 30 + degrees heat and he waited until they were practically forced on him.

lucky to get away with a win Mings Cash & Martinez made some crucial blocks. If Everton had played the previous 85 minutes with the same conviction as the last 5 we could well have lost.

A lack of energy and urgency until Buendia came on he really makes things happen.

Post edited by pavb2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

He looked very injured as two medics linked him as he gingerly made his way down the tunnel. Great to get the win but we’re not the finished article. Kamara mom for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Of course you’d ignore the fact that Watkins had 2 assists and only make a negative comment about him. Fairly predictable at this stage.

Thought Watkins was very good today.

he was excellent for the majority of the game, bailey put him through late on but his finish was poor, he has to be taking those chances.

Looks like Carlos is goosed.

• Advertisement

Fair play Ollie.

You happy now.

One swallow doesn't make a summer. Can't remember how many games it's been since he's last been effective. Hopefully these assists leads to a run of consistency with him.

Advertisement