Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA need to step up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,556 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As usual you avoid the quid pro quo issue here.

Are Unionists prepared to pull down all memorials to the heroes of their narrative of what happened and to stop celebrating them?

Or is this another indulgence of the supremacy you have lost forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Had a look through my WhatsApp conversations; family back and forths asking about the kids, a work colleague checking if I was in the office next week, and old friend seeing if I fancied a pint over the weekend, the wife asking me to pick something up in the shops.

Not a multi-page moan about a sporting organisation to defend one's own sectarianism to be seen. I like my way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭downcow

The bit you can’t get is that I understand memorials at places people were murdered. I understand memorials in town squares etc. I don’t like them all but I understand. What I don’t understand is how a sporting club decides to put up memorials to one sides terrorists and then claims to be open and inviting to all. Maybe someone would be so good as to do a list of the GAA grounds and tournaments named after British terrorists, freedom fighters, whatever you want to call them.

you would agree that it would be shocking if an organisation had loads of members from the unionist community but only memorials to one side?

guys you might have the numbers on here to shout loudest but everyone knows it’s obvious

And again, what is it you can’t accept about your own history….the FACT you and your community bear as much if not slightly more responsibility for what happened by virtue of the fact, you had the power.

The GAA is an Irish organisation dedicated to Irish culture, why wouldn’t it reflect that? It has shown itself totally open to all even you.

• Advertisement

I hope you red the bit where I said it wasn’t my ‘rant’ but rather a WhatsApp I received today. It’s purpose was to demonstrate the crazy ‘sporting body’ that the GAA is.

I think we all know that it will catch up with other sports and change in time

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• It's your rant though as you posted it and agree with it. Just because you copied it from somewhere doesn't mean it's not your own opinion. It reminded me of Comical Ali in places tbh.

Can’t disagree with much of that francie bar the last line.

rather that talking in circles. Can posters tell me could a football club that had almost exclusively unionist players and members, who called the pitch the Michael stone pitch and held the Lenny Murphy tournament each year, flew the union flag and played gstq before most big games (and had it written in its rules that every player, no matter background, had to turn and face the flag). It’s players sometimes chant Uvf on the team bus and they have a loyalist band play sectarian tunes at a big knees-up each year and the crowd join in with the billy boys.

open to all my balls 😂

• Do you genuinely believe this stuff or are you just trolling now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

It is open to all though. Is the Orange Order?

• Advertisement

Which bit do you think doesn’t happen or I am dreaming up. I’ll give you clear and recent examples from GAA in ni. And I doubt if any of it happens in any of the dozens of other sports.

maybe it’s you that are not in reality. I won’t dare repeat what you just said.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

To say the GAA is not open to all is arrant bullshit, ask the PSNI or Linda Ervine or the numerous people of all faiths and political colours who continue to participate and enjoy.

Your motion ‘the GAA is sectarian’ has been roundly dismissed.

Recognised the world over as a unique and fabulous organisation at community level.

Jamie Bryson is flat out making the ‘toxic’ snowballs because we’ve had a month of actual Loyalist sectarian toxicity, stop throwing those snowballs for him, maybe?

Try talking to anyone who knows anything about diversity or community relations what ‘open to all’ means.

you are now comparing a sporting body to something that is often referred to here as kkk. Do you see the difficulty.

no the OO is not open to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

unionists calling the GAA sectarian while defending these scum, the upholders of law and order. Couldn't make it up and this on the low scale of horrible things they did to the nationalist community. What would you have done to fight back at this protestant statelet, orgainise a march ffs

I’d be the first to admit that ni football was not open to all in the 80s, but I could have talked your nonsense and said go talk to pat jennings or Gerry Armstrong etc. Gerry would tell you he had the total support of the fans. I don’t hide behind that nonsense. Our fans were sectarian and we needed to do something about it. The first step was to admit we had a problem.

some in GAA see this and are doing great work. People like you are making their job very difficult

So what reforms of the OO are you calling for?

Should they appease nationalism by completely capitulating to who nationalists ideas of who they should commemorate?

Or are you prepared to accept that there are 2 narratives of the conflict/war ?

All the OO need to do is stop fermenting hate of one creed by removing all constitutional discriminations. Those discriminations that caused the conflict/war in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

So it's ok for the OO to be a sectarian organisation because it isn't a sporting organisation?

Soccer is a game that belongs to all, it has no specific cultural links to any community here or the world, GAA football does. Unionism/loyalism took soccer in NI as it’s own and tried to lock others out.

I think you lost support after that revealing night in Windsor and had to reform or die out. Even find yourself banned from international football if you didn’t take action. Simple as that.

Nobody is going to over thank you for being decent and silencing bigots and thugs.

Well that’s not simple question. Churches are all sectarian. I think it is ok I. Francies definition ie belonging to a sect/group. If they want to be exclusively Protestant then that is entirely up to them. But they shouldn’t claim to be anything else.

Absolute utter nonsense. Ni football evolution was a grassroots, exciting journey to be on. I was in the journey all the way and I would say to the GAA; embrace change, you will love it and won’t regret it.

• Advertisement

Lots. I think they should get rid of many old rules that no one adheres to anyhow like staying away from mass. I think they should dispense with the suits and much of the pomp. I think they should have a better pr machine etc etc. plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Choochtown

All in County Galway, Downcow. I even left in the links so that you could click on them and educate yourself.

eg. Liam Mellows club. I thought you'd find Liam Mellows an interesting read. His father was in the British army. He was involved in the Easter Rising and Liam was a Sinn Fein TD in the first Dáil.

Downcow will find the ambiguity of our history interesting, I thought, 1 man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter and all that. History of 100 years ago should teach us ALL to try and improve our environment.

Just imagine my disappointment when I log in this evening to see a big unionist cut and paste job on the evils of the GAA citing Casement, O'Donovan Rossa and Davitt.

FFS Davitt died in 1906. Do you REALLY have a problem with a club bearing his name? Really?

Here's a quick link to his life story. Read and enjoy!

Michael Davitt - Wikipedia

How can the GAA embrace change when its shining example of inclusivity (East Belfast GAA) receives regular death threats, bomb scares and can't even use a public park to train on?

No actually I have no big problem with grounds named after those involved 100 years ago from one side or the other. That’s history and just demonstrates the links and aspirations of the GAA.

what I think you should have a problem with is GAA grounds, tournaments etc named after people who have terrorised our neighbours in living memory. It is simply incredible that some on here are still justifying this practice.

No one is commenting whether it would be acceptable to name a football team after eg Michael stone and then claim it is inviting to catholics? It’s really very simple

Change is never easy. It’s called having courage. However misguided, I do admire Linda ervines courage.

it’s ironic that you even admit that the GAAs “shining example of inclusivity” is one driven by a unionist.

I think your open comment, “Soccer is a game that belongs to all” demonstrates that you are just playing games here and know that the GAA is out of step with all other sport in ni

The GAA sprung from Irish culture and it's preservation downcow. It is and always was more than a 'sport'. It is cultural and social.

Soccer was played by all here from the get go. Look at the history of it. The IFA took a branch of it as it's 'own' and hence the problems within it, leading to that fateful night in Windsor Park.

WHat you have an issue with is NOT the GAA but the fact that there are two narratives of what happened in the north and you want to wipe one out while not recognising what you did.

That's your problem not the GAA's/

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Miniegg

Honestly - if you are talking about the GAA as an organization - I genuinely don't see how you could think it is inherently sectarian in today's age - but I don't live in the north. When "the ban" was in force, I agree absolutely it was exclusionary which is self explanatory.

It is an amateur sporting body filled with volunteers who take time out of their often busy lives to try to build skill, camaraderie, competition, health and fitness in young people in their communities. In rural areas, and some urban ones, it is central to community life. These communities are active and diverse, with their own internal politics, grudges, and rivalries - they are far to busy to be sitting around wondering about how we can be sectarian against Protestants, or whatever you are trying to intonate. I have played against a good few Protestants (could be more I don't of) who were completely involved, not to mention great players. Increasingly with the younger generation, people of many religions and colors are getting involved.

I'm not saying it is some utopia, some bad eggs in there, but the organization itself is a genuinely positive and inclusive one, or at least one that tries to be.

In the north? I don't know. There is sectarianism in NI society, I'm not surprised if some of that lives in people who are members of the GAA.

As for the people you name, or describe as terrorists - in a black and white world of us = good, them = bad, I can see how you can say that - they fought the British.

But even as a proud Unionist you must admit that Ireland was an occupied country whose language, customs, culture and national sports were all but destroyed. There were people who fought to save this, sometimes despicably, and however misguided they were, the early iteration of the GAA viewed itself as a part of what they were trying to save, and celebrated them for it. Can see how this would leave a bad taste in your mouth tbh. Would you think about getting involved and trying to change the names stadium names - you are free to join afterall.

So why does the long cut and paste on the evils of the GAA have a huge percentage of history from 100 years ago?

I'll answer that.

There is at present an orchestrated attempt to smear the GAA with a label of terrorism. You yourself said that that was forwarded via WhatsApp.

I personally would take claims of offence over monuments and ground names of more recent IRA members a lot more seriously if the early 1900s stuff was not part of the argument.

The claims just appear to be insincere when the likes of Michael Davitt is brought forward as an example and as I say an orchestrated attempt to discredit the GAA.

• Advertisement

Why is that ironic? I think Linda is great and the way that she has been welcomed into the GAA and has become a great spokesperson for the organisation (and also a proud Unionist) is surely proof that the GAA is open to all?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement