Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It appears to be very big, but if you think about it, once the stock room, staff room, toilets and all else is installed, it'll likely be much the same size as any other express tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Good to see that the construction of the New Hotel and Office Building on the old A1 site across the road from the Liffey Trust is progressing well.

Post edited by subpar on

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Image of the other New Hotel on the corner of Castleforbes Ind Est and East Road also at the early stage of construction

Post edited by subpar on

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Quite a few mid sized former Metro stores are now called Express and look more like supermarkets than convenience stores.

Will be good to see that dead corner have a bit of street level activity and brightness. Those buildings have been there since before the Luas started operating there in 2009 so occupancy is long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Tesco seems just about ready to open, shelves are 60-70% stocked and looks like they were tuning the self service checkouts this evening... I am guessing it could be open by Friday?

Fresh on the other hand seem to be going much more slowly.

The Bottle Boy pub has a lovely enclosed and partially enclosed courtyard at the back which I was very impressed with, also visited the restaurant/bar in Beckett Locke... it reminds me of a WeWork office! They also are cashless, so take card payment only, which caught out one customer when we were there. They have signage up for a cocktail bar but don't think its open yet.

Couldn't find the bar or restaurant in the Samuel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Beckett Locke put signs out to try get people in but it's not the most welcoming environment

Samuel bar is on -1, have to use the lifts with their weird touchscreen floor selector outside the lift.

Staff at Tesco Spencer Dock told me today that they are opening Thursday June 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

OMG. I thought Dunnes were thoroughly beaten in court? How long can they this drag on for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mulligan's pharmacy signage has gone up on the unit next to the Virgin Media (ex UTV) and insomnia building in Castleforbes

Will be another nice addition to the area

• Advertisement

Fresh in Dublin Landings opened today. First glance this evening was a bit disappointing, seems they are not trying to focus on being a convenience store/Supermarket like the store in GCD, this is more like the one in Capital docks, with a focus on fresh or cooked food.

I will definitely check again at lunchtime during the week though

With a very big Tesco Metro just down the road it would be very hard to compete on supermarket items.

I see there's some workers going in and out of the side entrance of Point shopping centre beside the Yahoo entrance. When I looked in I could see some Dunnes branding on some stuff inside ...wonder if the supermarket chain have finally changed their mind and decided to move it instead of fighting in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

I imagine they’ll do the bare minimum to meet the court-ordered fit-out and then leave it there for another few court cases.

Superquinn ran a court-ordered shop in Dundalk for a while (in their case they closed a store and were forced to reopen it). It was deliberately awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dylan2017

Dunnes have begun the fit out process :)

Wonder how many other tenants will now join the line up as a result

Wonder if they've had a change of heart on the location or if it will be a half-hearted effort. Considering all the other businesses opening up in the area and all the development going on, they'd be crazy not to open there.

Considering Dublin Landings, the student accom, Spencer Place, Freight Building and Coopers Cross apartments all coming on stream shortly or already have, that will really add to the immediate residential population of the area so it should finally make a large Dunnes supermarket viable. Realistically, back when the Point SC was first built it was rather isolated with just Castleforbes and Spencer Dock apts having the only nearby potential customers apart from East Wall residents. Having Salesforce, NTMA and other large new employers will help with lunchtime custom too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A lot of people in more established neighbourhoods/developments will go there rather than up town or to East Wall.

Speaking of which it cant be open can it? My wife insists it is, she's gone down to check it out.

• Advertisement

She reports it is indeed open but is the size of a small convenience shop.

Ah that's so disappointing that it's a piss-take effort from Dunnes

do you mean that Dunnes is already open in the Point Village? Is it groceries, clothes and homewares or just some of those?

More court reports for us to marvel over the brazenness of then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm kind of surprised Dunnes wouldn't want to have something similar to their Beacon setup in Point Village. I'm at their Cornelscourt shop all the time, the fit-out and range of stuff available is amazing, a real turn around from how depressingly bleak Dunnes was in general 10 years ago.

Maybe someone there is just really sour about being forced into this?

Like a Spar. Small deli, some groceries. That's how she described it anyway.

Just sent for a look. I reckon it's twice the size of the Castleforbes spar. Maybe same size as the useless centra

Heard the young fella at the till saying that when (if!) the full store opens it will be the biggest Dunnes in Ireland. Bigger than cornelscourt

Just adding a pic from my wanders!

Good to see Fresh, Dunnes (albeit a tiny one) and soon Mulligans Pharmacy open down there. The streetscape is gradually coming to life!

• Advertisement

I was in Dunnes today, it is small though I spoke to the managers and they said that it will be bigger in the future I'd say they will wait and see if anyone else joins the line up before expanding.

Advertisement