Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant options for thin strip of grass

Options
  • 07-08-2022 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I know nothing about gardening but I'm looking for some ideas for what to sow along the pictured strip of grass that might provide some added privacy from the road. I don't really want to plant a hedge because I'd like to be able to keep some of the wall visible. I like the idea of a small tree or two but would roots eventually be cause for concern for the wall and driveway? And also is there sufficient space there for a tree?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There really isn't enough room for a tree there. It appears to be about 12" wide at most? And some of that will be taken up by foundations for the wall. It would make a mess of the path pretty quickly, might not damage the wall but I wouldn't like to offer any guarantees.

Could you consider taking up some of the pavers and re-arranging them to create half circle/square indents into the drive? Would there be enough space in the drive?

If you really want a tree I might suggest crab apple - I had one growing tight to a wall and it didn't do any damage and didn't seem to be affected by it. I believe they don't have spreading roots. It really isn't an ideal situation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

Roses?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

To me it's too narrow for anything worthwhile. I'd take it out and pave it, as the wall foundations are also a factor. I'd certainly not put any tree or shrub if you value your paving. A planting of annuals among a few perennial flowers might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Agree there would be no guarantee about disruption to the paving but something slow and well behaved like Sorbus 'joseph rock' would be an option for me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why would you pave it? Grass, various flower types, roses or other small shrubs all would probably do fine there. Far too much paving, tarmac and concrete in urban areas just for the sake if it.

• Advertisement

I think (he) was echoing my observation about a tree of any sort disturbing the paving. It was JH who suggested infilling it.

I had forgotten about roses, I agree they might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

It's 30" at the widest part and narrows to 12".

Roses would definitely be something to consider. I'd prefer not to touch the paving and would rather leave the strip of green there than pave over it.

Someone mentioned viburnams, a variety that grows quite talk but has a shallow root system. Anybody any experience with those?

I'd be less confident about vibernum because it has a shallow root system. It will spread at a surface level whereas something with a less spreading, deeper root would not affect the paving as much.

30" is a much more reasonable width, you could put a small growing tree in that kind of space, just avoid things like birch that have a surface root system - I had a birch (in a house I moved into) where a massive root had grown through leaf debris on top of a solid concrete slab. When we moved all the debris off the slab we had a root system to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭mrskinner

decorative stones?

Anyone for cordylines? :-)

• Advertisement

I love the look of this one. I'd like to make a go of that is people reckon the 30 inch space is reasonable.

I still have nightmares about cutting the grass as a kid in our garden filled with those 😂

Before you buy anything dig a test hole to make sure you have enough space to plant the rootball and there isn't just a pile of concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Could you make it into an edge, fill with decorative stone and place some pots on top. You will be getting interest with decorative stone and still have the softer effect of planting with the pots. A lot easier to manage as well.

I did something similar, though my area was wider and more even and it looks very well.

Advertisement