Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Good man, another ignorant post to prove you haven't a clue what you're talking about in this thread. Would you go off and wum elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Economics101

I see the budget for the Clontarf-city centre project is €62.5m for works over a 2.7km stretch. Say about €25m per km of route. Sounds very expensive to me, given that I presume DCC would like to upgrade a large multiple of 2.7km of route.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The main cost and the main time element here is a water mains renewal.

it includes replacing 6km of water mains. That’s the part which will take a year. And cost a bomb. Something that’s conveniently forgotten in the media’s attempt to whip up a motorist v cyclist clickbait narrative. Seriously, so many people thinking that a cycle lane improvement is going to take 12 months and, at that cost, be plated with gold

(and we can expect much more of over the next decade as the crumbling water and electricity infrastructure needs to be upgraded across the city)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭trellheim

Why are DCC budgeting for water works, surely thats an Irish water project coming out of IW budget ?

Also there tends to be a lot of notice re planned major waterworks . This has not been the case for this.

This forum is becoming extremely polarized of late with very strong views on the "anti-car" while not an entirely correct phrase, is not far from it.

I am an (recently ex since the pandemic , now WFH) cyclist commuter with hard knowledge cycling into town from D16, D4, D6, D8, D7 for the daily grind and the level of debate here is very much "we're right and you're wrong". Fairview to me looks like a pet project

• Advertisement

IW will be paying for their element.

Notice is only given for interruptions.

Are you trying to claim that the mains replacement isn't happening or what?

I predict that there will be 10 foot deep, hundreds of metres long trenches dug in north strand over coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Economics101

I see the watermain element of this has been very much lost in the general discussion. Glad I asked the 62.5m Euro question. Have the journalists been missing out on this?

Journalists have been taking inaccurate moans (or admissions of completely not doing their job, in the case of the councillors claiming no consultation etc) and printing them verbatim. There's zero effort being put in to reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think people are just frustrated with the fact that every single public transport infrastructure project gets objected to and then delayed, and delayed and delayed again.

At some point we do have to get on with them, and yes they will cause short-medium term disruption, but we have to start actually delivering on them at some point.

The city needs projects like this, that will improve public transport, to actually happen and then that improved bus service might entice people back out of their cars, otherwise we are just going to have worse and worse gridlock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I’m sure the journalists know, but it doesn’t generate the same motorists versus cyclists click-bait.

To people who aren’t cyclists, a cycle lane seems optional, but everyone needs fresh drinking water. If a water main needs replacing, then that is that, doesn’t matter how much you complain, it just has to be done, it takes the wind out of most complaints.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“Letter from Nial Ring delivered locally last night stating that the engineer in charge of the project has agreed that the situation will be reviewed 'on an on-going basis'.”

LOL, I’ll translate that from engineer speak, that means feck off, nothing is going to change.

of course there maybe minor adjustments to signage, etc. and they will probably put a Garda in place if people try and use the bus lane. But there will simply no change to the reality of a hundreds of meters of deep trench works for the water mains along the closed road.

I think that the amount of underground infrastructure work that has to be done across the city in coming years is a great opportunity for the piggybacking of surface layout improvements, which is probably how this should have been positioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,989 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Of course plenty could be changed.

Rather than work on trenches on both edges of the road at once, they could phase the works for one side, then the other, keeping enough space for buses and general traffic in both directions on the North Strand for the duration.

In the meantime, cycles could be diverted up through Fairview and Ballybough, or feel free to mix it with general traffic on the main route, if they so wish.

Yes, it would take longer, but the outcome would be the same in the end and it would obviate the terrible delays, congestion and disruption which will be experienced on the diversion route and back up the Malahide, Howth and Clontarf Roads and thats the most important thing to be avoided.

It seems to be, that the traffic management plan here is designed to cause the maximum disruption possible, in an attempt to trigger the mysterious and seldom seen phenomenon known as traffic evaporation. I rather think that instead it will cause that much more provable and impactful effect known as economic decline, for the affected area.

Nah, besides, it'll be over in no time at all, just have a little bit of patience. Also, it's a 400 meter diversion, not the end of the world, despite your attempts to paint it as such.

New infrastructure is a good thing but eggs n omelettes and all that

Cats and skin and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It looks like "we're right and you're wrong" to you because you're the one who is wrong. It's clear that Irish Water are paying for the water works if you bothered to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

"Fix the leaky pipes!!"

"Give us better public transport"

"Get the cyclists of my roads"

Whoa... hold on a minute....

What do you expect from the most selfish cohort of road users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

I think your underestimating the amount of road space needed to replace a water main. I like how you use that lack of knowledge to justify rerouting the most space-efficient transport users in an effort to leaving the least efficient and smallest group alone.

But more worryingly, you seem to be under the illusion that Fairview isn’t already congested and that these road works will somehow make it congested for the first time. We know you’re an expert on traffic in Sandymount and Dun Laoghaire but maybe you haven’t ventured northside recently? Fairview has been a traffic problem since shortly after it was recovered from the sea.

As for traffic rerouting and evaporation, I guess time will tell. I don’t suppose you remember the doom and gloom when the old M1 was reduced to one lane when DPT was being built?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

So as it happens I had to drive through Fairview today in my car (for the last time in a while!) and if the bollards that are in place today are the ones for tomorrow there are potentially going to be major problems for both public and private transport.

What has been done is that the inbound bus lane in Fairview from the Malahide Road to Edge's Corner has been cordoned off and the route has been reduced to one lane. This means that every inbound bus from the Malahide Road, Howth Road and Coast Road is going to have to be in the same lane as all the private cars getting through Fairview. Given the likelihood of delays between Edge's Corner and the Ballybough Road it is likely that Fairview is going to be one long one-lane snarl with potential delays back on the Malahide, Howth and Coast Roads. Once you're through Edge's Corner buses will have the road to themselves but the reality is that they're going to spend ages getting through Fairview itself. It makes no sense because it makes public transport no better than private transport from a delay perspective.

I should add that I expect there will be a Garda presence tomorrow to stop private cars continuing down the North Strand and at this time of year traffic is lighter than usual but come winter this has the potential to be a nightmare. Maybe I'm wrong about this and traffic won't be that bad - as somebody who uses the 27 into town in the mornings twice a week I hope I am - but I'm extremely worried as of today.

Hopefully you haven't seen it in its final configuration and the buses will be better segregated than that as they approach the diversion zone.

But lets face it, I don't think anybody will be shocked if its a total and utter shyt show from the off. This is Dublin City Council we are talking about.

If its a total and utter shyt show its because of the sheer volume of single occupied vehicles commuting from North Dublin to the city centre that could travel by alternate and more efficient means.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had never heard of edge's corner before (and there was me thinking that they're not allowed name streets after anyone till they're dead 20 years!) but i assume that's a colloquial name rather than an official name?

looking at it on street view, i'd certainly have recognised the rustin's logo painted on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

It’s just one of the “corners”, probably the least well known. Everyone knows Leonard’s Corner and Hart’s Corner, but I too only discovered Edge’s corner recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think Edge's may be the last one where the original business it is named after is still there.

Excellent hardware by the way, staff who know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Baker’s Corner, Hanlon’s Corner. At least I think those pubs are still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's also where The Edge of U2 fame got his nickname as he used to be picked up there on the way to gigs etc.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Nope, that's exactly what it will look like. A single lane for public and private transport until it reaches Edge's corner.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement