Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Then they meet the diverted traffic from North Strand trying to loop back (at a yield) to come back in along Fairview Strand/Ballybough. The pedestrian lights are presumably still active. There could be a lot of incidents at that corner if it is not policed properly.

The left turn back onto the North Strand at the Centra/Five Lamps is another recipe for disaster if not organised properly - could be lots of tailbacks there since the turn onto the Strand is just a yield.

I'm not sure they are still owned by the same families.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

That might be the case but it's the reality on the ground that is potentially going to happen from tomorrow for a period of a year or so. Maybe some people might change their habits in the next few weeks but I doubt it's going to be enough people to allieviate the inevitable congestion that is going to happen in Fairview on morning rush hours.

As we move towards winter and bad weather a lot of people will prefer to sit in their warm private car even if there are delays on their way into work rather than stand in the cold/wet waiting for a bus and then potentially sit in a bus full of people especially if we have another Covid wave which is a very distinct possibility. And I say all this as somebody who is a public transport user on one of these routes and is in favour of more public transport options.

But as a public transport user I am most likely going to be disadvantaged by this new layout as now my bus which up to now had the advantage of its own designated lane during rush hour is now going to be as stuck as all those private cars. Hardly an encouragment for people to change their habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This will ultimately improve public transport though, as the buses will no longer be sharing the bus lanes with cyclists between Fairview and Connolly Station.

I can recall that Harcourt Street was an absolute nightmare while the LUAS line was being built originally, severely impacting the Rathmines bus routes, but the city survived it.

If we are going to try and improve the public transport infrastructure in Dublin, it is going to cause short term pain around the city, that unfortunately is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭JRant

They will have to increase the right turn filter light at the five lamps or it's just going to be carnage once the schools go back. The problem with doing that is Seville place has a lot of traffic on it already coming across from the Tom Clarke bridge so there will be knock-on effects there as well.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Let us know what it was like this morning? I do hope that they prioritise buses, and if that means making it worse again for private cars then so be it. But I won't hold my breath seeing as how the 123 bus is often held up in Marino by cars that are allowed park all around the circular greens , and cars parking either side of the Howth Road down the Fairview end. We need DCC to really grow a pair and enforce proper parking bans on bus routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

If DCC were paying the operational cost of running Dublin buses, I would if they would be more keen on paying for the additional enforcement to keep those buses running smoothly? Having that funding split between transport at central level and parking enforcement at local level gives both parties a sense of it not being their job. Of course there’s AGS but that’s a different kettle of fish entirely.

Apologies I meant enforcement by putting double yellows around Marino on the 123 route and also at the Fairview end of the Howth Road on both sides. Then let private enforcement earn their clamping/parking fines from there.

The 123 is never really delayed going through Marino itself. It is only when it gets down to Philipsburg avenue that the delays happen. The left turn from Brian road out to Philipsburg is made nearly impossible with the cars parked on the opposite side of the road. I've seen some awful behaviour by people at that corner. And then the parking around the shop makes for some interesting dealys as well.

I used to live on Croydon Park Avenue and regularly saw plenty of cars parked up on the circular greens so badly that the bus seriously struggled to pass.

A year or more is hardly "short term pain" for thousands of commuters who do use buses.

And the reality is that this won't hugely improve public transport times on this corridoor by much as the route was already (badly I agree) segregated in places. I would expect the time savings to be a minute or two at best. It will be safer for cyclists though which is great.

I'm not against the project but I think the arrangements here are being badly implemented. I hope I'm wrong on this to be honest if only for my own commute on the 2 days a week I use it.

• Advertisement

The road closure will be discussed on Pat Kenny show in a couple of minutes. A balanced debate no doubt...

It will make that entire section a lot more enjoyable to cycle, so there's that. Rather than have buses and taxis passing you with inches to spare it will make for a far better journey in to town on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

More incompetent journalism from the Daily Mail. No wait, it's the Irish Times. Hard to tell the differerence these days.

"The road closure is to allow the construction of a segregated cycle lane along a 2.7km route from Clontarf to Amiens Street."

“Damien Duggan tried so hard to organise people in the area, but he was forced to close down his store three months ago after being here more than 45 years,” said Edge, citing the lack of parking.

and also, this little gem, reported without a hint of irony:

“This detour will add to the chaos. It’s already so congested people can’t let their children out of their sight for fear they will be knocked down.”

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think someone may have gotten the wrong end of the stick with that bollards. Went through there this morning and the bollards stretch back to around the pedestrian bridge, protecting the bus lane. Vehicles in the normal lane heading right are locked in at that stage, and can't transfer to the bus lane, meaning that they can't use the lane going towards Annesley bridge.

Buses have their own lane the entire way in, and are protected from cars encroaching from the pedestrian bridge onwards. All looks very sensible, to be honest.

Yes - don't worry about the rest of us who use the road.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No major traffic on Ballybough road this morning, but they've changed the lights for turning right from Richmond road. Was waiting ages for a right arrow (Left came and went, leading to some very confused gestures from the cyclists in front of me). Presume it's to give priority to diverted traffic, but will cause a major build up of traffic on Richmond road once schools are back if they're not tweaked.

Edit: Saw a few private cars/vans on North Strand road while I was turning right at 5 lamps, would have thought the Gardaí would be there, fish in a barrel stuff.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sounds reasonable enough. Not all impacted residents informed, tiny print on the leaflet that those who were told got, bus lane changed to 24x7 without notice.

As I said way back at the start, it's a mess really. Not everyone cycles (or wants/is able to!), and with the housing crisis and costs in Dublin generally, people are commuting from further and further away. Eastpoint for example was hard enough to get to/out of at peak when I was there a decade ago. I somehow doubt it's been improved by this stuff.

The anti-motorist mentality in the Council and indeed this very forum is ridiculous. Cycling has become yet another "crusade"

Are you deliberately ignoring Donna Cooney's comment that the 6km of upgraded water mains is what is causing the majority of delay and disruption for this project?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You have to look at this as part of a bigger infrastructure project though - BusConnects links up with this scheme in Fairview all the way along the Malahide Road to Clare Hall with more bus lanes.

All the minutes saved add up - they might get an extra trip over the course of a day out of a bus for example meaning they they can do more with existing assets.

I used the term “short-term” as relative, given the long term nature of the improvements to the water mains, buses and cyclists. I endured Harcourt Street roadworks for far longer than a year, and no it wasn’t fun, but it was worth it to get the LUAS line operational.

As I say, it’s never easy to implement changes like this, but we have to do it.

Everyone’s ignoring that. Doesnt create as many column inches and irate callers as “we’re prisoners in our homes because of the cyclists”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭cgcsb

People can't be commenting from that far through fairview though, after Howth or Coolock where would they be coming from? Besides, there are options that involve leaving the car outside the city centre even for long distance commutes.

Did anybody go through Fairview itself this morning either in private or public transport? My concern as a public transport user was the fact was that yesterday there was only one lane inbound through Fairview rather than further on at the North Strand or Ballybough Road. What was the situation in Fairview itself?

I'll be in the middle of it tomorrow morning so if nobody responds I'll update myself tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Well the rest of us on busses and on foot are fine too

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Typical. There is no issue despite the prophecies of doom...

You are facing a diversion, that's all. Bloody hell, you'd think you were being deported or something.

Not everyone cycles (or wants/is able to!),

Who exactly is forcing you to cycle along here?

and with the housing crisis and costs in Dublin generally, people are commuting from further and further away. Eastpoint for example was hard enough to get to/out of at peak when I was there a decade ago.

How many people who have been forced to live further and further away will be forced through this diversion to fix some water pipes? Using your example, how many people travelling to Eastpoint would follow that particular route and not use Alfie Byrne? Also bear in mind that parking is and always has been somewhat of a rarity in Eastpoint!

Because the issues have apparently migrated to surrounding roads.

Also someone whose profile pic includes the words "make way" (for world bicycle day) is hardly objective.

The middle of summer with no schools off and weather is great. One day is not reflective of any general situation. Let's see how this develops on a regular basis.

• Advertisement

You'd be surprised. There are people commuting in from as far as Louth and Meath into Dublin every day from that side. Other areas include Laois, Wicklow/Wexford, Carlow and so on.

Dublin commuting is not just with the bounds of the city/county limits. It's like the Tiger years all over again.

Advertisement