Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rearing calves

Options
  • 07-08-2022 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello, I'm new to buying calves, so looking for advice. I bought 2 month olds over a month ago and have been feeding them calf crunch since. They are also out on good grass and are doing well.

My question is when do I put them on weanling crunch or nuts and how much should I be giving them?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m new to calves too but I give them an 18% protein nut til they’re 4-5 months, then onto 16%. Depends on price thou. If the 16% nut isn’t much cheaper then I’ll leave them on the 18% for another month or two.

A kg per head per day is the standard advice but it depends on the calf. If they’re born in Jan or early Feb, and doing very well, you might cut them back a bit or even cut out meal altogether. But equally if they’re April-born, then you might be better keeping them on 1kg or even upping slightly to1.5kg for a while.

Take this advice and all advice as an idea. Whatever you do this year on your farm with your calves can be tweaked next year.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I have a few 2 month olds on meal as I culled there mothers. I nearly got a stroke when I bought meal for them. The 18% Calf crunch was over €510/ton so I haven't bought much of that. They are on fresh clean grass so I'm now using a lower protein feed as I believe they'll get protein from good grass. It's not ideal as you need to be keeping the grass fresh in front of them. If you only have strong grass then you'd have to be using the higher protein feed till the are at least 4 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 howdo2013

Thanks all. Had to cut back on meal ABIT as they were scouring. But fine now and back to 1 kg again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

One kg is fine. They are now 3 months old. After another month if grass remains good reduce to half. A cheap beef ration or even rolled barley would do them.

I usually stop meal feeding at 3 to 3.5 months. If grass is good early in year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 howdo2013

They have plenty of good quality grass. Can you recommend any meal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Change from Calf crunch to Weanling Crunch or else a good 16% beef nut. It depends on what part of the country you are in. I use Liffey Mills or Roches both of which have a Weanling mix which is the same price as the beef nuts

Advertisement