Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A3 / Masters / Womens Nationals 2022

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Results and footage was on the CI insta.

Savage well done to your partner fat_bloke, brilliant ride and brilliant result from what looked like an attacking race. Chapeau V!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Results on CI Twitter account now ( eventually).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

It's a disgrace. License fee is expensive enough and we can't even get results. They have posted the top 3 in each race on Twitter in the last few minutes. Take care could they tell us the top 10.

I have no words tbh. Shambles maybe. There's a word.

One thing I was wondering about was the lack of chip timing for all races today. At €50 entry on open roads a confirmed time & placing for those who finished was to be expected for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chip timing still has to be confirmed by the Comms, so is effectively useless for Cycling afaik. Same as the results taking awhile, Comms still have to confirm everything in line with UCI rules AFAIK.

I enjoyed today, A3s were very negative which was great craic to act the pr1ck and go off the front every lap. When the lad in white broke away on the second last lap I was over the moon as he left the lads who were negating all the other breaks in his dust and they expected others to follow.

Managed to hang on till the end but two crashes in the last 600m made me just ride it in, I wasn't going to compete anyway so was glad to miss the final crash at the line.

Funny that A3s do that thing they give out to A4s and sprint for nothing. Also the littering from some riders was a pisstake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

The way it's gone, as I see it anyway, is that a lot of A3s got to A3 by waiting for the sprint and just think that the same tactic should naturally work in A3. I hate that style of racing. I rarely contest a sprint, unless it's opened up and there's space, because A) I can't sprint and B) I have work on the Monday morning and a family to feed.

Littering - Nothing boils my blood like that. Who the F do they think they are?

Post edited by G1032 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Trained for 6months with masters TT in mind.

Have done a dozen events all season including Connacht TT champs(issue should have been highlighted here in hindsight,but wasn't,keep reading!)

Saturday woke up @5:30 headed off to Newcastle west.

Got there for 7:35 commissars #1 leaving hotel for start line(10mins earlier than advertised).

I was told to rush to start to get bike checked- did so.

I was asked by commisare #2 what brand of bike was it and was it UCI compliant(sticker etc)

Winspace TT100 and frantically googleing to see if bike was UCI,it wasn't - so disappointed ,after jumping through so many UCI hoops in terms of bike setup all year to be told it wasn't on the approved frameset list.

I didn't have any answers for the CI guys unfortunately.

I was never going to medal,just building towards the event all year and give it max effort on a great course,with conditions so ideal.

I think the commissars should work in CI accounting dept,they wouldn't miss a trick and CI wouldn't be in so much trouble currently.

Goes to show it is very much elitist and does have something for everyone,only if can afford a 5K tt bike.

TT Frame for sale!

Its moronic because they have the power to shut down attacks and bridges, so they would make decent breakaways but they catch the break and start disruptive riding. They aren't on a team with numbers, makes no sense. I'd sooner have a craic from a breakaway of four or seven riders, than a bunch gallop where a load of riders can't seem to go in a straight line or behave. I'll drop a mail to the clubs secretary of one I could ID but the rest were in the bunch. **** A3s thinking they are in a grand tour, such sh1te will piss off locals and get races shut down and quite rightly.

Balls, sorry to hear that. A shame they wouldn't let you ride and just have you excluded from the standings if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

I did the masters TT the previous 2 years and there was no bike check, wonder why it's so important now.

• Advertisement

I got pulled asides & warned at the start for cutting the CI numbers to fit my jersey, a bit petty given there was no impact on the sponsors.

edit: misleading phrase changed.

Post edited by dahat on

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

There is a video of the A3 finish (Athy Cycling Club?) and well done to the podium guys who broke away to take the medals. 3 riders from 3 good, solid bike racing clubs to my mind.

Great to see that type of thing given the mindless 'chasing down' that happens

Behind, the bunch features a guy in the top 10 who literally sits up and stretches himself, arms off the bars, in the final 20 metres (wtf?) and a crash involving riders who seem to be sprinting for about 30th position. Comms would be better off chucking these guys out DQ etc for dangerous riding, instead of annoying riders about cutting numbers and other pedantics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

why did the commissars not reinstate the break in the A3 race when they had to stop to let the M50 pass?

all the messing with bike frames and numbers would put people off entering competitions.

isn't CI meant to be about encouraging people to cycle?

It was about 5 seconds up the road, maybe 10 and was about to be caught. I heard the complaints at the time but from someone about 5th wheel in the bunch, I don't think it made any difference. Also the way it stopped and a few riders going up the outside, caused more hassle than it was worth to try and filter it out again with traffic building behind.

I wonder can i get a refund 50 quid?

commisaires very pedantic, OTT - tbh!

Yea but tbh they could have done me a favour in not letting me start.

Depends on the Comms for that, I've seen races where riders have it trimmed down to barely the number and nothing said, and others were someone has taken a sliver off the side to fit around stitching getting a warning. A bit like the TT frame, the only real issue that is there is no consistency and communciation. A reminder at the start of the year that trimmed numbers are not allowed or emailing all TT entrants, who might be coming over from other sports or club leagues where no one is checking, what the rules are. There were Masters riders hiding at the start as they didn't have frame numbers, only ICVA ones. I'll say nothing as I had mine in those TT suit see through pockets and I'm not convinced they are too size the way they fold a bit.

I presume it was only a warning though and you weren't made change to spare numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

• Advertisement

Hadn't seen the video, I just rolled in so you can see me about 50m behind the crash. I hadn't realised so many were already across the line. I pulled in after the crash to clear the bikes, looked like one of their rear wheels popped clean out when they put some power down but when I see the video it wasn't that rider that caused the crash at all. There was one of the guys off the front got skimmed as someone tried to break away at 500m and hit him into a garden, on the other side a rider following without looking rode into the traffic cone that was the only feature of note on the course. I rested up at this point, then another rider pulled his brakes in front of me as we rolled in (about 30th at this point), just missed him, as another rider decided this was the time to sprint shouting at others to get out of his way (winners are already across the line at this point).

I was over the moon the breakaway guy in white who was solo for over a lap made the podium (I think that was him), the lads chasing down breakaways and bridges wanted others to go after him, but kept shutting down any bridge over to him. I had tried so many times to get away that the legs were just gone for a bridge. In hindsight, if you had a half decent TT in you, a solo break was a realistic option the way the race went.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

I was unable to do the TT due to having to attend a funeral in the UK. Contacted the organiser to enquire about a refund nearly 2 weeks ago(funerals in UK take a long time to happen), got a response cc-ing someone from CI asking could I have a refund. Heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Hit and miss. I bought a TT bike that was ridden by a world champion in a grand tour and wasn't allowed to ride it a few years back because the lawyer tabs had been filed off. Fair enough.. but literally... the world champ rode it IN a world champs - I only changed the pedals and rear wheel !

What if your bike is pre lawyer tabs? Is it just tough ****?

Disc or rim? I recall read removing from a disc fork was a no no but can't recall why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I think in my case its because if you looked closely you could tell. And its the modification piece that they took exception to. The fact that the same bike sailed through a UCI Worlds TT check 9 months earlier underneath a guy wearing the rainbow stripes didn't matter.

For a QR disc wheel, maybe the braking force with the angle was slightly more likely (in theory) to pull the wheel out whereas rim brakes the brakes would hold it in. I didn't even notice them on bikes in recent times, most QRs of premium bikes haven't it coming round far enough for them.

In reality, I imagine as Quigs indicates, it's a modification of the frame and they simply won't let it pass.

so not allowed to take part in national masters(could have let me ride in an unoffical capacity) but didnt.

signed up for Hammond TT - couldnt do it as of illness

so along came round 4 of the national tt League- super i thought to myself.

Then i found out its the same Commissare thats running it that wouldnt let me start in the masters (Tom G).

I reached out to him directly on FB politely and asked him is it a UCI sanctioned event and will the bike check be part of it etc(as it wasnt for any other round bar loughrea as it was connacht champs).

Yes full check same as NAt Champs. and then blocked me on FB messenger

I followed up and asked could i take part in an unofficial capacity as frame (circa 8yo) is not on UCI approved list even though all measurements are in line with regs. No response.

I am beginning to think that Cycling ireland are happy enough with their numbers for these events and want to make it as difficult as possble for anyone new to the sport to take part.

what is the story with this governing body?

serious power trip some folks are on!

Post edited by seanin4711 on

Advertisement