Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I'm not facing a diversion at all becuase I'm using public transport. I'm just worried if my commute is affected. I stated that I wasn't against the development but don't let the facts get in the way of your righteousness.

EDIT:

What I've noticed from those pictures is that there are two inbound lanes through Fairview unlike yesterday where there was only one. This was the concern I raised because it didn't make sense.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can you post a photo taken today of the issues that have migrated to surrounding roads?

There were predictions of chaos in Fairview today. That didn't happen as per the two photos I've posted. Now you're moving the goalposts to sometime in a month or two?

No I haven't moved any goalposts. This is a year-long (at minimum) diversion. Therefore judging it on one day in August when traffic levels are generally at their lightest is simply no reflection of what might happen. Maybe it won't get worse but you can't simply post pictures from today and say we're not allow check this ever again.

So you're admitting that the predictions of traffic chaos for today were wrong. That's a start.

Now what makes you confident that predictions of chaos will come true at some point in the future? Would you rather that a water infrastructure project is aborted on a "just in case there is a traffic problem' basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭trellheim

"Are you deliberately ignoring Donna Cooney's comment that the 6km of upgraded water mains is what is causing the majority of delay and disruption for this project?"

Its not Irish Water notices coming in people's doors . IW didn't pick this up last week and have had as long as they liked to let people know about it.

• Advertisement

All of those routes have alternative routes easily accessible without going near Fairview/N. Strand.

Plus for Louth and Meath commuters, you have train services to Eastpoint (including P&R).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why would anyone go near Fairview coming from Laois or any of the other places listed?? Absolutely no reason to go near it.

I don't see how improvements like this can be made without disruption anyway. The amount of moaning from snowflake motorists is just ridiculous.

The overall project is managed by DCC. This doesn't mean that IW aren't involved.

But the duration and extent of the disruption is because of the water works, not the cycle lane, despite the media’s attempt to stir things up by spinning it that way

theres simply no denying that.

a cycle lane doesn’t take a year to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Any proof of the issues in surrounding roads? Which surrounding roads are people even using?

When the works first started, the traffic situation was bad, and then improved. So with these works starting now, people have time to get used to it before the weather worsens and people get back to school. But as most people were wrong about the traffic chaos that was supposed to arrive today, they are probably going to be wrong about the traffic situation that's months away.

• Advertisement

Did you even read any of my posts? I never "predicted" traffic chaos. I was worried about it on the basis of the lane layout that I saw yesterday. It seems that those were temporary which resolved my initial concern about traffic through Fairview from a public transport point of view. But I stated that given the levels of traffic at this time of year it probably would be too early to know what exactly was going to happen here over the course of the diversion.

And yes I'm fully aware that you can't do major infrastructure change without some disruption. However disruption needs to be managed in the best way possible and it seems that this hasn't been managed well, especially from a communication point of view.

Granted I missed rush hour, as I was on the route shortly after nine. But it did look fairly chaotic alright 😂

The problem here is that the entire change is being implemented under the title "Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project" so it's only natural the people assume all the disruption is because of the development of a cycle lane. It probably should have been labelled differently given the nature of the project.

It really is unfortunate because it does create an anti-cycling atmosphere which is unhelpful.

You said it yourself, "Bus Priority Project". So why would it be natural to only blame cyclists?

Yes, I couldn’t work out why the water piece was relegated to a footnote. But it’s probably because DCC want to be bold and up front with their ambition rather than be accused of sneaking through surface reorganisations through the back door on the back of water works.

It should have been portrayed as an integrated project though. Make it a positive thing…..one piece of work instead of water and then road at at separate time. There’ll be loads of opportunity to reorganise surface organisation in coming years as water mains and electricity cables need replacing across the city. And should be in the future presented to affected people as integrated work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Has anyone checked in on marty whelan? Hows he doing?

I never said that you predicted the chaos but many people did (both here and elsewhere in the media). However, the speculation yesterday given the photo was that chaos was imminent. this transpired to be completely untrue.

As for the management of this project, I'll admit that comms has been poor, if not atrocious. However, there has been very little disruption otherwise and despite the foolish claims by a jeweller which were lapped up by an even more foolish media, traffic continues to move in and out of the city. However, communications by the council can be difficult when you see some councillors lying to the public and media about their knowledge of the project (unless these councillors are quite incompetent). Maybe you'd care to describe to us how you'd have approached the physical side of this kind of project?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Economics101

" A cycle lane doesn't take a year to build" Tell that to the people who live on Grange Road Rathfarnham where a cycle lane project meant to last 4 months has over-run by 300%. Also, a sunny Monday in early August is unrepresentative of traffic conditions in the medium term.

However the media take on this is disgraceful. The Irish Times saw fit to publish a letter to-day from someone who seemed to think that the disruption was purely due to traffic-related road works: no mention of water mains. The letter went on to say that the 62m should have been spent on housing. Ill-informed garbage as usual in the IT!

I agree: the water infrastructure upgrade has been hidden in the details to an extent.

However, their letters to the public did refer to it along with Irish Water...

from https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/2022-03/2022.01.21-c2cc-project-english-accessible-leaflet-1.pdf

• Advertisement

From the Irish times last week:

“North Strand Road is the main route into the city centre, so I think a lot of people on Monday are going to be in for a surprise when they see that they have to divert,” he said. “Traffic is already bad on North Strand Road. Now, it’s going to be a nightmare.”

So removing traffic from the road is going to make the traffic on that road worse?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not sure if i understand? someone commuting in from louth would have to have taken a weird detour if they're coming in via fairview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Why are people commuting from surrounding counties traveling into the city centre in a car via Fairview? Did the letter drop informing local residents of the change need to go to households in Dundalk as well?

Because the perception is that it's the construction of the cycle lane that is causing the disruption and the road closure as it's the most visible element of the scheme. Bus Priority projects have been around for a long while and haven't generally involved road closures for a year. That's just the reality of what people see and hear. This should have been labelled something like the North East Infrastructure Improvment Project.

I'll say it again - I'm not against this project and I understand disruption is inevitable. It should have been handled far better from a communication point of view.

The road isn't closing for the majority of users though.

No matter how it had been handled, people would still be complaining. There's people quoted in the papers recently saying they knew nothing about this project. That's just a reflection of how little people care about where they live, and projects that enhance their areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Took a walk through Fairview a short while ago (13:00). Everything moving along swiftly on all routes. Two lanes up to Edge's corner with the PT lane separated by bollards in advance of the junction. I can only guess that many people are avoiding the area. Swords Road was fine this morning too, nothing unusual at all.

The traffic will build up as the schools start back etc. But like I have said before. Fairview is and has been a mess for years, so that will be nothing different. Again plenty of alternatives for people to use should the need arise.

And guess what, you can still drive into town right now from Clontarf or Killester or Artane and move along fine. Amazing stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This is true - an awful lot of people just zone out from things like this for one reason or another until the diversions commence and work physically starts.

Having said all that, the comms could definitely be better - the water main replacement should be the lead explainer followed by explaining the separating of the buses and cyclists.

The water works ARE the lead item, though, when unbiased sources are used. The only people I've heard using the bike lane as a means to bash the whole thing are either a) completely uninformed about the project, b) just read a clickbait headline and went off on one or c) both. People hear what they wanna hear. Case in point:

This should have been labelled something like the North East Infrastructure Improvment Project.

Why? What's wrong with the official title of "Clontarf to City Centre Project"? What about that name is too cycle-centric that has everyone up in arms?

• Advertisement

So what you're saying is that the new temporary road arrangements have improved traffic in the area? Maybe it should be made permanent.

Advertisement