Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A shame I still see the Soviet's posts thanks to some people replying 🙂 Of course, naturally they try to whatabout on the Chechans without actually supply proof. Empty vessels.

The Chechens weren't ever heralded; they might have garnered sympathy from the typically Russian overkill response, but it quickly faded when it was realised just how vicious the Chechans themselves were. As you say yourself with those examples.

It's kinda darkly amusing how enthusiastically, how stubbornly, some have argued that the Azov batallion is some silver bullet of Ukrainian depravity or moral corruption - yet since day 1 the Russians have openly, publicly embraced a vicious set of barbaric killers as an integral part of their invasion plan. They chose these barbarians. When your soldiers are more inhumane than Nazis, you've kinda lost the moral argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Alas, there's nothing unusual about this practise. Colonial or repressive regimes often used to employ the most brutalized,dehumanized dregs of their colonized peoples for especially dangerous tasks or for their dirtiest work; Franco used the indigenous Moroccan troops for savagery his own trops might have blanched at , the French used native Algerian troops in the Algerian war and Korean camp guards were especially feared by prisoners of the Japanese. Doubtless there are other examples.

Nothing new in that,, there are Russian authors who served as conscripts during the Chechen War who write about bodies of Chechens being placed in crucifixion poses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Worldwide, the history books will record Russia in an very dim light for generations to come. No amount of fanatics can cover up monsters no matter how hard they try.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

When this attack happened for reason of propaganda it was reported as occupied . What has since emerged the hospital was not occupied .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭kernkraft500

not really, only in countries which don't have a chance to assimilate into a democracy usually cause problems, or in Ukraine's case, as an EU country, which Russia is terrified of happening....

Russia flattened Chechnya, got rid of anyone who had a bad word against them, and installed a puppet government who rule with fear, and stay in power through greed.... any Chechens who had the chance too, got out of there in the 90's. You are left with a population who can't leave and have to fight to survive... that's where your "loyalty" comes from... trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes and say different is absolute garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Good news for a change.

ISTANBUL — A Panama-flagged ship carrying 33,000 tons of Ukrainian corn arrived on Saturday in Istanbul from the Ukrainian port of Odesa en route to Ireland.

Under the recent Turkish-brokered grain deal, Navistar has to undergo inspection at the Istanbul Joint Coordination Center (JCC) before setting sail to its destination, according to Turkiye's Anadolu Agency (AA).

Two more ships carrying grain and foodstuffs set out from the Ukrainian ports, AA reported, citing a statement from the National Defense Ministry.

The second ship, Malta-flagged Rojen, left the port of Chornomorsk with 13,000 tons of grain for the UK, the ministry said.

The third ship, Turkiye-flagged ship Polarnet, which was waiting at the port of Chornomorsk, sailed to the Karasu port in northwestern Turkiye. The ship, which is carrying 12,000 tons of grain, reaches Karasu.

Both ships will also be inspected by a joint team in Istanbul, it added. — Agencies

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This is pretty much what the dictatorship is doing in southern Ukraine. The Mail had a report from inside Kherson yesterday and there is nothing remotely normal about life in the city. More like something out of a dystopian novel, with the Russians ruling by brute force and soldiers everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I don't think Russia despises our way of life. It's probably more complicated than that. I don't think they despise our culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Keep in mind those whom maybe out of mind, stuck in the Ukraine and at the mercy of the Russian invaders who don't seem to be too kind to anyone.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

What loaded? It's a fact.

The whole EU has been at war with Russia since 2012. Hybrid war, a disinformation war (a very soft term). Which continues in much higher intensity since March 2022. Since then we're technically further than the hybrid war. It's worse than the Cold War, from Kremlin side is definitely a war, it might not be an open war from the EU for strategic reasons but it's a war indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Your right Vladimir Putin and his cabal despise our way of life. Not Russians in general.

Post edited by 20silkcut on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think Putin and his cabal appreciate our way of life - for themselves.

They realise that the only way they can fund their billionaire way of life is to impoverish the population from which they steal to fund their massive wealth, and keep them under the heel of the jackboot to suppress any dissent.

True they are horrified at the prospect of having to share wealth and power with other Russians and the general Russian population. It is the main driver of all this madness. I am absolutely dumbfounded by western apologists who cannot see this or refuse to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobowen

I'm not sure what sources you use to arrive at such an opinion. The uncomfortable truth is that Putin and his government are widely supported in Russia even after 6 months of war. Inflation is stable, Food is on the shelves, Energy costs are obviously not an issue and the sanctions have had little to no effect on the average Russian.

In fact there is a general opinion that Putin is a bit too moderate and is more pro Europe than he should be. Even Medvedev is more hawkish than Putin these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

What you say is evidence of how successful Putin has been in brainwashing so much of the Russian population.

That's a hell of a lot of quite well educated people to brainwash. 140 Million in fact. Not sure they would agree with your sweeping generalisation of their gullability.

To the average Russian Putin is arguably the best Russian/soviet leader of the last 100 years. Best of a bad lot. Lenin/Stalin/kruschev/Brezhnev were wedded to an insanely stupid ideology. Gorbachev oversaw the uncontrolled collapse of all that and Yeltsin was fond of the vodka. In comparison to the western world Russia is well behind where they should be. That is the measure. Whether Russians see it or not is irrelevant but western sympathisers to Putin have no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

You don't have to brainwash them all, and I never said that. Get 60% or so on your side, plus draconian laws (15 years for referring to "the war") and you have it game, set and match, at least for the moment.

The thing with autocracy as well though, like, is that Putin and Xi seem way more competent as leaders in comparison to what democracy comes up with in the West..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha, Jesus. Anyone seems competent when you suppress, jail or kill the opposition or dissenting voices.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The context of the post you are replying to is that we shouldnt blame the Russian people because they are being led by a dictator who brainwashes them. Do you disagree?

If so, do you think all Russians, or at least the majority of them who support Putin and the war, are morally responsible for it? In particular, for the pillaging, mistreatment of prisoners and the careless and indiscriminate bombing of civilians?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Usually around 35% is enough to take over and destroy democracy. Intimidate the remaining 65%. Hitler won the 1933 election with 33% and that was sufficient to grab the power.

Similarly, the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia won 36% in a democratic free election in 1946 (actually the only country where the Communists got into the power by democratic means) and that was sufficient to get a complete control by February 1948 by infiltrating all state apparatus with Bolsheviks and KGB agents.

United Russia party first election win was just 38%. Which allowed them to consolidate power by various means etc.

Democracy is really fragile to populist extremist movements and this is extremely important to remember with regards to Russian troll meddling and information war where the Russian propaganda machine supports exact these destructive parties and trends in the EU and elsewhere (Brexit, Trump etc). We see it unravelling even in this thread. We are at war indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

70% of the Russian population have never set foot outside Russia. They wouldn't need to gaslight 'all' the population, just a considerable amount. Keep telling them that they live in the greatest country on earth and shut down any voices who claim otherwise.

I do disagree. I think the vast majority are not brainwashed at all. I think we in the west view the Russian and Chinese populations as ignorant, subservient prisoners of totalitarian governments who if given the choice would overthrow their governments instantly. We ignore the fact that culturally and politically they think very differently to us. Anecdotally when I lived with Chinese people in London I was taken aback myself at how proud they were of their communist government and its capitalist economy. These were young, highly educated and intelligent people with good jobs in the city of London whom I would have expected to hate their authoritarian leaders.

Individualism and liberal ideals are just not as important to Russian & Chinese cultures as they are to us in the west in my opinion. They care more about stability and economic security than having a choice between two parties who pretend to be different than each other but are pretty much the same. Like FF/FG, Democrats/Republicans, Tories/Labour etc. And as CDQ said earlier this allows their leaders to be more confident so that they can make decisions that aren't based on looking good for the elective beauty contest that comes up every couple years. I wouldn't like that way of being ruled but I'm not from there. But if I was to bet my house on a game of chess between Xi/Putin and Stuttering Biden/Bumbling Boris I know who I'd put my money on to win. And If your honest you would do the same. Democracy seems to be in a dismal state these days if Biden and Johnson are the best that the free world can come up with.

In answer to your second question I think the Russians understand why the war is happening. They and their government had been warning the west since 2008 that Ukraine should always remain neutral and any attempt to subsume such a unique country into NATO would lead to catastrophic consequences. Just as the Americans would understand why it would be happening if the Chinese were building military bases on the border of Mexico and treating ethnic americans in that area as second class citizens and bombing them for 8 years. The US has the Monroe Doctrine which basically says that no large foreign nuclear power can have a military base in the entire western hemisphere as that is America's hemisphere and they reserve the right to go to war with anyone who tries. How is that fair?

Apart from the Chechen soldier who should be locked up forever for his treatment of the POW I really don't agree that they are indiscriminantly bombing civilians either. And nether does Amnesty it seems.

A number of articles that question the aid and where it is going knowing that Ukraine is a corrupt country .

The reason unlike other East European countries why it was not allowed to join the EU .

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/19/politics/us-weapons-ukraine-intelligence/index.html

https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/06/09/us-aid-ukraine-corruption/

human beings can’t be trusted to have such untrammelled power. History has many examples of why it’s a bad idea with body counts in the 100s of millions and the most heinous acts imaginable. Maybe you should go and live under your chess masters Putin/Xi. You say look at what democracy has produced in the form of Biden / Johnson. I say look at what democracy is preventing from happening and who it is preventing from having this unhindered power. That’s a far better outcome.

Post edited by 20silkcut on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What exactly is it about the last 6 months that makes you think Russia is a competently run country?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And nether does Amnesty it seems.

Amnesty absolutely does think the Russians are indiscriminately bombing civilians. They mention it many times.

They also think that at times Ukrainian forces are putting civilians at risk from setting up in civilian areas - my read and that of many others is that this is a pretty poor understanding of what the actual "rules" of war are. However, even within the report, and in public statements since, they clear that Russia continues to commit many war crimes with indiscriminate bombing.

Advertisement