Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

If that's before grant its not bad but if its the total then keep on looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

All too expensive, that Huawei gear is bumping up the price.

They are good but not worth the extra.

Keep on looking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

You could get a Solis 5 or 6kwh hybrid inverter and 5kwh PureDrive battery for the price some are charging for the Huawei battery on it's own. The biggest problem is getting any stock at the moment. All installers are finding it hard to source enough stock for the orders on their books and people will just have to wait I'm afraid.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Agreed. That’s why I’m having a face to face meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Hi folks, I’m looking for some guidance if possible. If this is the wrong place to post please delete and my apologies.

i have and annual usage of 13500kwh to 14000kwh annually. 7500kwh of this during day time. The house is A3 rated running a heat pump built in 2011. My plan was to install a 5-6kw Pv system with invertor and 10-15kw battery to reduce the day time running cost which occurs mostly morning and evening charging the battery from the panels or during the cheaper night rate. We have solar tubes so hot water is sorted.

ive gotten a preliminary quote today of over 18k before the grant for 12x380 Hyundai panels and hauwei inverter and 10kw battery that stack. Makes no sense for us at that cost but I hoping someone can sent me to someone that can make it more worthwhile for payback or perhaps my idea isn’t the best.

apologies again if this is the wrong forum.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Shop around. Have a look at some of the installers in the monthly stats spreadsheet (installers page) - link is in the FAQ page. That should give you a couple of good leads on who to contact for some quotes.

Ballparking it myself. 6Kwp in panels with a 10Kwhr battery would be in about €12K (after grant). With your usage i'd be looking at 8Kwp in panels if you can. I'd also clarify where that usage is coming from. Yeah, your heat pump is the likely source, but there are often many things you can do to save €100's of euros without installing solar.

Once you know what's using what, you can then tackle each problem individually. E.g. can you "load shift" some of the usage to night time rate (washing clothes etc), have you removed all the old halogen light bulbs and replaced them with LEDs? etc etc

Thank you for getting back. I’ll absolutely check the installer index now.

we have pretty much eliminated all day time waste. We run the appliances at night on the night rate and all bulbs are led. During the summer our total usage drops way back so pretty confident it’s the heat pump. I may try to run the heatpump at a higher set back at night and see if there is then less demand for daytime heating.

We set it back to 16c in the living areas when we aren’t in the house (most of the day) then bring it to 22c when in the house this is all timed. Bedrooms at 18c. Upping it to 18c setback perhaps might reduce the requirement for day time units.

having said that I’m still looking to reduce those day time units when we use them most which is after 3:30pm and not peak generation time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Assuming your house is using on average 4000kwh per year (around average in Ireland so Bonkers says) something else is using 10000. That's huge. 10000 units is 3 grand a year at 30 cent a unit (can get better rate of course but 'back of envelope' for now).

If you don't have an EV it's at least your heat pump eating power. Others can confirm if a heat pump should be that much a power monster - can't imagine it should be. As others said check that before going further. That saves you month every month forever. And can then likely size a better solar setup.

As a comparison our house and EV only use 5000kwh a year in total (admittedly that's low versus the average). We've no heat pump. Enjoy the new adventure!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Yesterday's news said that an upgrade to a heat pump could multiply your energy usage/costs, so really a false economy in anything rated under A1

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Robotfarmer

I am looking to install 10-12 pv panels on my house.

Should that get me about 4kw/hr. Are the 385 watt each.

Roughly, how much should it cost to install without batteries.

I am a newbie. Any help appreciated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

First off have a look here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058234646/interested-in-solar-pv-read-this-faq-first#latest and then look at some of the other threads and it will give you a better idea of cost.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Hi got the following quotes for a system I’d appreciate the feedback.

Opt 1.7.2kw 20 Jenko panels, 6.4kw sofor hybrid inventor with eddi and 10kw dyness battery €15,000 with grant

Opt 2. 4.8kw 12 Jenko panels, 6.4kw sofor hybrid inventor with eddi and 10kw dyness battery €12,500 with grant

Opt 3. 6.4kw 16 Jenko panels, 6.4kw sofor hybrid inventor with eddi and battery ready €10,000 with grant

Opt4. 7.2Kw 20 Jenko panels, 6.4kw sofor hybrid inventor with eddi and battery ready €11,200 with grant.

Hi, the house is 250metre square. We are rural so have a deep well pump and pressurised water system. The heat pump is heading for 12 years old so that’s a consideration. The energy rating is A3 and summer time usage for us 10kw day and 9kw night where the heatpump isn’t operating to space heat simply to hear water. There isn’t much we can do to reduce usage as the water pumps are essential and I won’t change the heatpump until it’s closer to end of life. For us and I’m open to correction the best way forward is a solar set up and reduce the bill that way.

in relation to the heatpump everything is relative. If we were building now perhaps we’d try go passive with the cost and design limitations back then were prohibitive. We really like the heatpump and it’s served us well over the years and for now there are no better options.

please feel free to jump on anything I’ve said I’m happy to hear what others are doing and willing to learn.

First of all, heat pumps are great. I don't have one only because I live in a "leaky" house and it wouldn't be a good fit for me without doing the insulation first, which I might do next year if I can find a few coppers down behind the cushions in the couch. Is yours a Ground sourced or Air sourced? I guess with you being rural you have the land for a ground if you wanted to. Ground (typically) being more efficient than air.

But yeah, wouldn't be arguing to get rid of anytime soon.

Your 19Kwhr/day though does seem high. The average household in Ireland is 4000-4500kwhr, so divide by 365 and you have ~12Kwhr/day. Sure winter would be more and summer less, but your at 19Kwhr in summer and as you say the heat pump isn't heating space. That seems like a lot. Do you have a way of confirming that it's the heat pump? What I'd do is confirm that as you may have something, such as a 250w halogen floodlight or something on and it's killing you without you thinking about it. Your be surprised at some of the things that eat away power and it doesn't cross your mind.

As for the quotes.

Option1 - Not an outrageous quote that. Sure, it's a lot of money, but your on the large side there of the instllations I've seen.

Option 2 - you can forget about. You'd never fill that battery with your usage and 4.8Kwp of panels. Like Option1 , the "value" of the quote is ok though.

Option 3 & 4 - You can take these together as they offer the same "value", but without a battery you will be exporting a lot in the summer.

I'd invest in a energy monitoring device similar to the "Efergy" ones, but they all seem to be out of stock least on Amazon. Main thing is to confirm what's using what as spending a fat wad of cash to solve the "wrong problem" might not be wise.

I was going to ask about a way of monitoring energy. A lot of what I’ve seen are a bit complicated need to be wired in. Is there anything basic that someone would recommend.

I absolutely get what your saying on usage. I’ve check all lights and they’re led except for two fluorescent tubes in the garage that are off. The mhrv runs constantly and then we have a 250metre well so a monster pump for that and then a second pump in the garage for pressurising the hot water system it’s not gravity. The heat pump is a daiken altherma 14kw hight temp air source unit

there’s isn’t anything else drawing power other than appliances which we run on the night rate whenever possible.

a monitor is definitely the way to go do an recommendations would be great. Keep in mind I have limited electrical experience so messing around puttin wires into the fuse board doesn’t appeal. Struggling to see something basic though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I have not used this, but it seems to be a successor to the owl energy monitor...

https://purchase.ie/product/energy-saving/smart-energy-monitor

Clip that around one of the wires coming from the meter and you have a power monitor, Turn things on and off and you'll see what is using what.

There are more thats a bit more involved, but thats the simplest approach. Would recommend getting some sort of energy meter.

@Jonathan maybe we could compile a list for the FAQ?

I know of:

The owl (starting to look really dated) https://www.amazon.co.uk/OWL-Intuition-Based-Energy-Monitor/dp/B008MYXEHW (mine is the older one)

ShellyEM (Needs a bit more hands on and home assistant)

Emonpi - Still more hands on, Needs 2 plugs for a voltage reference, and one for power. But can detect Bi-directional power

Eco Eye Smart  - Link above

Efenergy do ones too.

Emporia - https://www.amazon.co.uk/EMPORIA-ENERGY-Emporia-Electricity-Metering/dp/B07R11H2Q2 diagrams are for US panels, but should work fine for us, Can monitor a lot of circuits. needs power.

not the most polished YT video, but its still informative https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKV47-oFQ90

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I paid a deposit with the same company on the 19th of April. And this was confirmed a few days later. I was told then that I could expect installation at the end of June or possibly July. Which I was happy enough with at the time. But I mad contact at the end of June and after speaking to the owner. I heard the rep had retired. But thy confirmed they had my deposit but they only had one picture of my house from the survey. So I arrange for him to call to the house and survey it again. At the time he said installation would be in or around 3 weeks. Also I needed 16 optimisers for each of the solar panels. Additional costs, but if I needed them , so I agreed with the revised quote. Now I'm told they are finding it hard to source optimisers and they are looking at September! That makes it 5 months after my initial deposit. I just find that's not an acceptable timeframe from the initial deposit.

Our house runs solely on electricity and we also have a heat pump. So I stand to make good savings from the PV panels being installed. But I'd like for it to happen within a couple of weeks than months.

The owner is a very nice person to deal with. And I know they have been struggling to to get materials from their suppliers. But I think I've been very patient up to now.

Graeme has given some good options above. For you, and anyone else worried about "fiddling about with wires in the fuse box" most of the devices listed are installable by "lay people". A "CT clamp" is just something that you wrap around the main wire coming from your meter (the yoke you submit the readings to your supplier), no soldering required or danger. Can be done in about 10 seconds, by virtually anyone. Trick is getting the right wire, and sometimes aligning the CT clamp, but it's not dangerous in the slightest. If you get it wrong, your readings on the monitor will simply be 0, or negative. That's all.

Failing doing that, perhaps your Heat pump has some in built telemetry such as how many units used today/yesterday/etc. It would be good to confirm that it's the heat pump that's your main consumer. As the saying goes "You can't improve it.....if you can't measure it".

The more important thing though, and this is also to anyone who's getting quotes for solar is that you want to understand as much as possible what and when your consumption is being used.... as that directly will have impact on the system you install. Perhaps (and I'm just throwing this out there as an example) you have an old TV and it being in standby mode is using 50 watts 24x7, or your leaving the xBox switched on all the time? You'd be surprised what you can save when you look about the house.

Ordering the eco eye 600 should do the job for an idiot like myself so thank you for the info on it.

Everything that goes into a socket is getting switched off or unplugged over the next few days. The tv we usually switch off with it’s own power button but I’ll go the whole hog and unplug it. I’ll switch off the heatpump also as with the sunny weather the tubes should generate enough water for us and a good test for them also. See what happens next.

I’m still inclined to go with the solar as even if we reduced our consumption the pay back seems to be in an around 9 years at €1600 per year. ( rough calculation on my part) there doesn’t seem to be a spreadsheet for working out payback with panels and batteries that I’ve seen. I’m hoping that you’d make 5300kwh in the year based on the global solar atlas site. Everything over an above in terms of what you might make charging the battery on the night rate and using it at peak time would be a bonus.

I think I’m getting obsessed :-)

With the normal wireless ones, you don't even have to worry which wire it goes around, nor direction. As long as it's around only one of them.

Direction does matter for ones that are actually plugged in/have solar

It does get a bit inaccurate below 100 odd watts.

Yeah it's addictive. And solar will definitely make a dent in it.

• Advertisement

By the way most modern TV's use about 1 watt in standby mode - I was just throwing it out there as an example of something which might be in your house sitting there eating up leccie which you haven't thought about. Some of the crappier Virgin media boxes use 20-30watts (which did surprise me), but typically things which heat/cool are the main culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just got my first quote which I think is okay

12x 340w JA panels, 1x Solis hybrid inverter, 1x Dyness 5.1kwh battery and Eddi for 9100 after SEAI grant

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

A decent quote for a system of that size. You'll probably find better value per kWp if you can go bigger, that is where most of the value has been as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah I'm confirming with them what the scope is for more but the problem is we are end of terrace east facing, both east and west roofs are same dimension and south is a slightly smaller triangle so not sure what the benefit is if we go as much as possible split between all three aspects

We have the exact same type of roof and got 3 panels on the South. Smallest roof for us too. Then have E and W too. South (though small) helps give a good spread of power through the day.

But I am glad I pushed for them. Only one installer would quote for the effort of 3 roofs. Slowed the roofers down.

Difficulty is it's 3 roof pitches so we ended up with 2 inverters. But South roof only has 3 panels so could maybe be a micro inverter (instead if invertor) for you - others suggest they work well for small number of panels. I won't pretend to know. Tell the installers you'd like to see options on it.

If you have a flat roof, you can use that too with optimisers on the whole roof if gets shade.

Or ignore South and max E and W.

I wanted a spare 1.4 kWh to charge the EV (lowest juice it needs to run). So South helps that as EV not home in morning when E side is doing it's thing

You could do it with 1x inverter. One string for east and west (both roofs wired in parallel) and then the other string for the south root. Bear in mind that for the east and west you have to have the same number of panels on both east and west roofs (won't work otherwise), and for South, there is usually a minimum "startup" voltage for the string in the inverter. Usually that's something like 100v so it means it requires 3-4 panels as the smallest number you can get it to work.

Yeah @bullit_dodger I did show our installer the Fronious whitepaper you sent me on that E and W split on same string when we were looking at options. He wasn't keen sadly. I even offered to be a guinea pig on it if he agreed to change at no cost if we didn't get the output.

Not to say it wouldn't work well. But I didn't want to push a design he didn't agree with. Just in case we had issues and they dug in that was a 'non standard design' we requested. But would have been good to give it a whirl.

That whitepaper did suggest they should be similar angles AFAIK. So flat roofs on E and W. Which we wouldn't typically have in Ireland. Was tested in Oz I think. Though a lot of the paper went over my head to be fair :)

Yeah, people are always reluctant about that, but the physics is good. The Inverter doesn't/can't tell the difference and just works away normally.

Alternative is to use optimizers on all the panels on one string. Treat all the panels on that string as if they had shading (which they effectively do as they are getting different amounts of light due to the different roof slopes)

So you would have (say) East and South on one string. All with optimizers, and then the West string without optimizers. Each optimizer is about 50-60 euros and it's one per panel.

If optimisers are on each panel... Would micro inverters quickly become viable? Or for one half of the roof if sticking with a hybrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Thanks, all, for the excellent tread and information,

Struggling to get additional quotes without a home 'sales pitch' survey.

The one quote I have so far:

6.5kwp

• 16 x 410 watt panels
    • 6kw hybrid inverter (am considering batteries)
    • hot water dirverter
    • Grant paperwork

€8950 after grant

• +5kw Battery

€11,330 after grant

Expensive? Or ballpark?

From the FAQ in this thread:

€1.2k per 1kwp + €550 = €8350

And with Battery = €10850

But I'm not sure if this takes the €2400 Grant into account.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Post edited by peterako on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement