Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caring for new build garden

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Not sure if thats aimed at me...but yeah I would get a small bit of water in the baldy patch in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

yeah, I guessed there is either compact clay or some rubble under that. You will know by using a Garden fork to see if you are hitting anything there.

The patio gave it away and the type of back wall. Mine looked the same when I bought but had horrible drainage issues as the Garden full of clay which meant when it rained we had standing water and summer we have burnt grass.

Fixed now anyway myself.

ps don’t take garden advice from Cairn and start fertilising now and overseeding end of August/Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Your spot on, its probably the overspill of what they laid the patio on. Is there any way of rescuing it?

(Hope OP doesnt mind me asking questions, might prove a handy thread for others who search new build gardens!)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

First thing to do is to find out what’s there under the soil. I can see that your lawn is not level and has a dip in relation to your patio slabs so you may only need to topdress and level the lawn with a mix of 70% sand 30% topsoil and overseed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So following on from the grass, I'm curious to see what people's thoughts are on caring for all the planting that came with the new build. I've been told by a garden center to water them once every 5 days, and the landscapers general feedback was for the trees only-- 4 buckets every 10 or so days.

The last two photos- one I'm told to cut back as its too heavy. The second forgive the awful quality but while it appears fine there's a lot of broken branches, which I thought was odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Everything looks fine and dandy health wise OP.

Re watering the trees if you have a hose lay it at the base of each, reduce the flow to the slightest trickle and leave it there for a half an hour each once a week. This ensures the water will soak down to the roots rather than flow off the parched ground.

The tree in your last pic is a birch and the broken branches are normal and won't do any harm. Interestingly the first pic looks like cytisus battanderi, the pineapple broom, which is an unusual and fabulous tree. Can you take a closer pic of the second last one though?, find it hard to identify that!

Keep an eye on the straps attaching the trees to the stakes and remove them when they get too tight.

Edit, my mistake, not cytisus but amelanchier on closer inspection. Tree on the other side looks to be a hawthorn.

Post edited by standardg60 on

Will send a photo in the morning! I bought myself a lawnmower today - €110 including a strimer. Will cut the grass a bit more, at present it's about once a month. Just need to figure out the strimmer to cut around the walls.

One plant I added myself recently doesn't seem to be serving, which I'm a bit disappointed with.

That's a perfectly healthy Agapanthus, you can cut off the faded flower stems

That's mad, I assume they'll grow back or is it just how they flower?

Attached is the photo of the tree you wanted a close up off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

@Sully, that tree still has the label attached so you can identify it from that.

That's no fun!

Anyway the label looks to be for the plant against the wall. The tree looks to be an amelanchier, some nice planting there.

The agapanthus is just how they grow OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Could you recommend small trees/large shrubs to provide screening in a small urban garden?

Low maintenance if possible please.

Label is for a plant behind the tree that goes up the wall! Pretty sure nothing else has a label!

Garden to date. Usually cut it once a week but the growth has slowed in the last month or so, and plus it seems to be constantly raining. It seems in good enough nick compared to others nearby but you can see its a little patchy still in spots and there is little growth at the back.

Should I be doing something during the winter months to improve the overall growth quality?

Advertisement