Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I would be very surprised if NK get involved in Ukraine, very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭rogber

Criticising their statement last week is perfectly justified, I did too.

Going from that to "it's full of left wing do gooders who only criticise the USA and the EU, oh and probably it's got corrupt ties to Russia as well", as more than one poster wrote, is stupid and just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The last point is missing the point, which is about western countries maintaining close ties with awful regimes as long as it suits them economically and politically and how human rights for oppressed groups matter much less when it comes to those countries. Likewise the USA lecturing countries about redirecting sovereignty after what it did in Iraq etc. It is hypocritical. I also understand why it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called for international inspectors to be given access to the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant after Ukraine and Russia traded accusations over the shelling of Europe's largest atomic plant at the weekend

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Nobody seems to be listening. Absolute catastrophe unfolding right before our eyes. NATO needs to step in here before it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

NATO stepping in will lead to catastrophe. NATO intervening directly in Ukraine will create serious risk of nuclear exchange.

We don't know that at all tbh. An incident at the plant could make the European continent uninhabitable for hundreds of years. If this isn't the exact moment to use the full force of NATO to kick the Russians back behind their borders i ask when is? People don't seem to realise how lucky we got with Chernobyl we might not be so lucky again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

NATO acting against Russia means direct conflict between nuclear powers and an actual nuclear exchange, in which we all lose. Only a fool would advocate for that.

An incident at the nuclear plant in Energodar would effect Moscow as much as it would Central Europe. It is in nobodys interest to have an incident there.

As for the damage thus far, its been admin buildings and switchgear equipment, not any power generation/reactors. Also seeing as Russia are in control of the plant, and the plant is supplying power south to occupied Kherson and Zaporozhzhia regions, it wouldnt make much sense for the Russians to bomb it themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

Meanwhile NATO stands around scratching it's bollox

Sky News now also reporting the orks have wired the plant with explosives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Russia have the whole plant mined, this is their Samson Option should they lose the plant

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Glad you have the luxury of asking such questions from the comfort of your D4, floor-heated duplex (no doubt).

Probably unlikely that the Russians would be trying to blow themselves up, but you did hear of a lot of incidences of friendly fire from both sides…

Can we have threadbans for posters that continue to use the term “useful idiots” like it’s some sort of “hot take” and an ultimate put down to the person you’re replying to ? I’m beginning to see it every 3 or 4 posts now.

In the spirit of the ceasefire and peace talks - that we are all desperately praying for between Russia and Ukraine - our side will refrain from using the term “woke” to describe those of you who show sympathy towards Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

You seem to have the same authoritarian mindset as the Putinistas. "Useful idiot" usually refers to naive supporters of Moscow: sort of innocent but misguided. I wouldn't dream of calling you a useful idiot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I often wonder if Chamberlain didn’t get a raw deal. The British military in particular was in no condition to pick a fight with Germany at the time. Trying the negotiated limitation whilst simultaneously ramping up British forces may not have been the worst move.

Ukraine, however, is not so hobbled by military impotence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And the UN flapping their hands around uselessly. An organisation that has been shown up to be useless when push comes to shove.

Whatever about the UN NATO are meant to be the force to protect the west from **** like this. The "Ukraine isn't a part of NATO" excuse is a complete cop out. Using a nuclear reactor as a weapon endangers the whole of Europe. We are literally going to see vast parts of the continent unliveable and millions moving westward to avoid radiation. The response from the west as a whole is absolutely pathetic since day one of this war. We can't even stop funding the Russian's ffs.

Yeah, Hilter might even have mellowed in his old age if we hadn’t provoked him so much. I guess we’ll never know..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Chamberlain got a very raw deal the effects of his appeasement were done and dusted by 1945. The fallout of the Churchill/Atlee/Roosevelt appeasement are still being dealt with today. Gulags and soviet famines and atrocities in particular the katyn massacre were common knowledge in 1945.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

That's the thing, I've kinda come around to that same point of view. Chamberlain gets called out a LOT for his appeasement policies, but it was also under his government that a lot of the programs that would help Britain ultimately win the war got started. The production of the Hawker Hurricane and the massive destroyer-building program (Tribals, L & M Class destroyers, the later wartime emergency program) starting in 1938 are just two examples, though I won't get into the army side of things as I believe that's your area of expertise.

I think what ultimately did Chamberlain in with regards to his legacy and public image, apart from the fact that the Germans were quite frankly tactically superior in the early stages of the war, was the fact that he was replaced by a supremely charismatic successor, Winston Churchill and that many people simply weren't aware of the massive logistical challenges involved in getting even partially ready for war by September 1939.

I mean, even today, many people have, quite frankly, no grasp of logistics. Just look at all the calls to get more weapons to Ukraine in this very thread, without taking into consideration that those weapons need to be a) transported there, b) supplied with ammunition & spares, c) have some sort of maintenance base/depot, d) have Ukrainian crews trained up and so on. The importance of logistics, the lead times that the manufacturing of modern weapons systems requires, all these things just don't register in the public consciousness.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That's not what I said.

What was the other choice available to Chamberlain? The UK had no continental-capable army. An air force unable to defend the UK. A great navy, but Germany was sticking to the continent. France, similarly, had just started a massive re-armament program, but the armaments didn't exist yet.If they had declared war in 1938, what would have happened?

Or, he could buy time to increase the allied military capability to actually provide an alternative choice... which he then took in 1939 by declaring war on Germany.

I suspect that if a current American president massively ramped up military production and then declared war on someone, they'd be considered a warmonger by a number of today's folks. Chamberlain may not have been a hawk, but he was no dove either.

The Chamberlain example isn't best used as an example of false hopes for peace, it's best used as an example of letting desire and a belief in peace allow sufficient weakening of a defense budget and military to result in a situation where there is no ability to use it when it's needed right then and there. The failing happened in the early/mid 1930s, not in 1938.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You would think the very public vaccine rollout and PPE issues from COVID would give people an idea of how difficult it can be to get the right stuff to the right people at the right time.

The UN is absolutely useless. But someone has to do something. Maybe this is Russia's new tactic: if they can't win the war with weapons, they'll cause a nuclear catastrophe and render huge swathes of the continent uninhabitable. There seems to be an almost suicidal urge among these people to cause an absolute apocalypse even if it takes them down with it. Either that or it's an incredibly reckless attempt to strengthen its hand in negotiations

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Saw an interesting comment on Twitter that the occupation / annexation of Kherson is illegal even under Russian law, never mind the international version. There is nothing in the Russian constitution that allows the current regime and its dictator annex a Ukrainian city and region and make it formally part of the Russian Federation.

I doubt the constitution permits murder of political opponents either, but doesn't hold the Russian government back. Putin's whims basically ARE the constitution

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

For sure, but it does emphasis the absolute illegality of the Putin regime and the fact that the country is being run by a criminal. Kherson cannot 'legally' become part of the Russian Federation....it will just be a case of Putin telling everyone that it is the case.

I think the population get to vote on whether or not to join the federation. It’s not like “we own you now”. (That’s my understanding of the thing anyway.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Well, they say people get more right-wing as they get older, so probably not. 😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement