Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North Dublin to Larne charging options around Belfast?

• 08-08-2022 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Heading to the ferrry in Larne next week. Will leave the house charged - 77kw id4.. so i won't be short of charge getting to Larne. Ideally though would like to stop for half hour somewhere around Belfast and top up the charge for 30 minutes or so and grab a coffee.

Im looking at a better route planner and zapmap etc. I'd like to have 2 or 3 options just in case the first charger i go to is busy or broken.

Option 1:

Sprucefield shopping centre

Option 2

Shane Retail park Boucher road?

Option 3

Emo fortwilliam filling station

There is a charger in larne but i don't want to chance it being the last one before the ferry. I'm all set with chargeplace scotland for the other side. We are heading to Edinbugh straight off the bat.

Cheers,

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭dsandson

Hi Mick. What time will you be passing through as some chargers may not be available 24/7.

Also in case you don't know the ESB chargers in NI are free so they can be abused a bit.

Paid chargers can be more reliable. There's a Gridserve at IKEA and an EasyGo at the new Lidl on the Shore Road, Belfast.

For the chargers you mentioned, Sprucefield can be busy, but has McDonald's and cafes at Next and Marks and Spencer. Shane retail has Costa coffee.

An alternative would be the services at Banbridge on the A1. It's not quite as busy but earlier in your trip. Definitely don't rely on the charger in Larne.

Thr best recommendation to ROI drivers is don't rely on NI chargers and charge up before crossing the border. Not much use to you if you start fully charged.

Also have you got a Charge Place Scotland card organised? Their network is much better than either of ours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thanks - should be hitting Belfast around 10am - i have the Chargeplace scotland card in hand - have a cousin over there with an EV and he's reassured me its pretty solid over there - if ikea is on the to larne (i think it is?) id chance there - ideally id like to get as far up the road as i can and top up before hitting larne

Also - what do you need to use the Gridserve charing points?

Mick,

Gridserve just requires payment at the charger, no app etc or fancy RFID card. IKEA is a little off your route but only 5 minutes or so. Theres a Costa, Burger King & Subway around the corner which you'll drive past. Check ZapMap for the location as its a little hidden!

Thanks I've been to ikea before so know the general area.. i can just start the gridserve charger with revolut card etc? i dont mind paying for a charge if im guaranteed it works

• Advertisement

yeah theres just a card payment unit on the charger. Give Gridserve a call if there are issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Good advice, you can be lucky or very unlucky, they are either broken or EV drivers parked there for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'd even stop into Castlebellingham if I was you and take a cheeky little top up there if the unit was available as you pass.....

you might get there at 80%, but I'd still take on anything you can before entering the wilderness that is NI.... and not even need a charge up there.

Leave Castlebellingham at 90-95% and it should be enough to see you not only to Larne, but all the way to Edinburgh..

Castlebellingham to Edinburgh (via Larne-Cairnryan) is around 334km, so well within your range from a (close to) full charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

As far as I’m aware the charger at Larne harbour is not CCS - only ChaDeMo and AC.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

There's a GO petrol station just after Banbridge on the way to Belfast that recently got a new charger installed. CCS plug as well. Not sure of the power output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

It is often busy there, but last time I called there was a local charging who disconnected as soon as I pulled up. At least he was honest, he told me he lives nearby and often drops in for his free tank, but moves as soon as somebody pulls in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You CANNOT rely on charging in NI, you risk missing your boat. On my many Scottish trips I do what Andy says, top up to 95% in Castlebellingham and then survive no problem until Glasgow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

I heard a recent report that both 50kW chargers in larne and on Scottish side were both broken.

See plugshare app for real status on chargers. Personally I would try charge up to 80+% at every 50kW charger on route in case next few chargers are busy and blocked. There is a new 50kW pay charger in Lidl in Belfast, and as it's pay to use may be quiet. See plugshare app and filter by CCS or ChaDeMo and look at user reviews.

As others have said NI is a disaster. Get as much charge in ROI as possible.

Advertisement