Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the importation from America of Identity politics a good thing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When one gets bumped into on the street get pickpocketed and they go running off with it, dare say most people would not have the facilities to describe their appearances without mentioning they were black if they were. Pull on that thread for a while and you'll conclude that yes, for all your good intentions, they are part of a collective group.

It isn't a good thing, and I was on here talking about it something like eight years ago.

Apart from everything else, it reduces people to predictable sponges who soak up whatever their particular "identify" believes in. It's sad enough when you see people base their views on the world around their politics without adding all these extra groups they feel the need to conform to.

There are posters on this site I know the exact opinion of on every topic under the sun. Stuff that's never even been talked about. At least it's completely impossible to guage my view on a topic just because you know a few of my other views.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not seeing this at all and I come in contact with a very wide range of age groups. It certainly has leaked into Irish social media and online activism but that's a tiny group of people that the vast majority of us will never meet.

My post, and I also think the other poster, weren't complaining about Black history month. It was an example of the Identity politics manifesting here. I honestly couldn't care less if there's a Black history month.. I can ignore it quite easily. However, the question as to why it happens, considering both our own history and our demographics brings up the question of why... and rather than get an answer to the why, you get a deflection towards racism or some other nonsense.

The attitude is that we should ignore all of this. Nothing to see here. It doesn't affect you. But that's how the PC movement became so established in the US.. people ignored it, until it did become established and affected them directly. That's why we should be asking why... and not accepting the deflections/dismissals.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In the main, such commemorations or celebrations draw attention to a particular theme. That example covers equality and race so will very obviously be focussed on in the media, even if it seems somewhat absurd in our context. There are many a National/International Day/Week of X that just pass us by with the same level of importance.

• Advertisement

In the main, such commemorations or celebrations draw attention to a particular theme. That example covers equality and race so will very obviously be focussed on in the media, even if it seems somewhat absurd in our context.

And that context is imported and encouraged to be accepted within our own society and culture. We have no history of slavery. No history of racial discrimination against Black people. No history of racial superiority. It makes sense to have such remembrances in countries with a history of such things, but it makes no sense to do so in Ireland.. unless the agenda is to reinforce the status of victimhood for that ethnic group. As the other poster said, Black people are held as a collective group, irrespective of their individual histories, with the agenda being applied to them all.. the push of the Black history month (not the month itself but the message attached to it), encourages an idea of white guilt, that we are all responsible based on our own ethnicity for what happened in other countries by peoples very different to ourselves.

And that's why such things should be questioned. It's a propaganda drive, and propaganda has a long history of gradually changing the minds of people, of establishing itself within the accepted truths of culture, and if left unquestioned, it will become established here.

It's not about equality. If it was about equality, the emphasis would be on everyone coming here to become Irish, and accepted as Irish. No different from the native group. No differences based along ethnic lines. Multiculturalism, and the mechanisms of such propaganda, aim to reinforce divisions so that minorities are elevated, and held distinctly different from the others. And that's what we've gotten from American identity politics, and it's worked so well for them..

And why was it lobbied and accepted? You deflected away from the point.

Because I have no answer for you, just encouraging you to further seek it out. I wasn't involved in lobbying RTE.

The attitude is that we should ignore all of this. Nothing to see here. It doesn't affect you. But that's how the PC movement became so established in the US.. people ignored it, until it did become established and affected them directly. That's why we should be asking why... and not accepting the deflections/dismissals.

Yeah can't even put f@**ts N***rs or R**rds on blast in polite conversation anymore, it's awful Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

That’s part of being PC, not using offensive language. And is generally accepted as a good thing.

but you’re deliberately ignoring the other parts, and slandering anyone who questions PC attitudes as being racists/homophobes.

being “politically correct” also has a meaning relating to adhering firmly to a party line. The classic example being the necessity of party loyalty above personal opinions in communists groups. Short summary in here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

And that’s part of the dangers of identity politics. Dogmas which have to be adhered to, this time by all society. The dogmas may change but they must be accepted and cannot be questioned.

the attitude and influence of the Stonewall charity in the Uk to trans issues is a good example of this

one of the founders Mathew Parris who walked away from it is just too moderate in his opinions for them now.

So you're saying, PC language disadvantages the group who identify as non-PC?

Well, that would be very non-PC, as told by Wikipedia, except the non-PC crowd seems face-first in demanding to do away with political correctness, so as the first in line, they're the first to complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

No, clearly no one said that.

I don’t know of a “non-pc crowd” who want to do away with it, apart from one or two comedians doing routines, and so on.

Instead like most people, I don’t subscribe to “us and them” opinions on everything, but take a nuanced view that “political correctness” in all its forms has pros and cons.

• Advertisement

I think people online overblow the issue. I can't imagine most people myself included stopping an otherwise flowing conversation in public, in person, with friends acquaintances or colleagues to comment on every small 'non-PC' lingual infraction. Most people will let loose an off color joke or a retarded or two. On the internet it's a bit different, the far broader audience, the need for civility & audience inclusiveness, mired in the ability to exhaustively pick apart all things said at any length or scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I generally ignore the topic online these days and never encounter it in my day to day life. So it doesn’t effect me.

First I came across of it recently was on 2FM yesterday where the presenters were referring to someone who goes by either they/them or she/her. And apparently they change that based on whether they are feeling more feminine or not.

That’s all great and everything but surely it’s a bit of an ask for the people she lives with, works with etc day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

No, it is definitely not a good thing. And it might be getting worse.

'Debate' about trans people is an example. Because the whole culture wars sh!t thing is ongoing, some people who used to be fair minded now oppose any concessions for trans people, don't even believe transgenderism real. That's a direct consequence of this identity politics sh!te.

These social justice warrior types are alienating a lot of people and doing quite a bit of harm to the causes they espouse.

People in Ireland generally grow up with values of fairness being emphasised, and really don't need identity politics, we're a well educated mature country, all that horsesh!t won't help here, it's just fostering division with no benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,830 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The importation of many things from America are a bad thing. Their culture and mindsets are vastly different to the culture in Ireland. Yet some people from Ireland (by virtue of the internet) seem to think they are in America. The use of phrases such as 'Body Shaming' 'Hate Crime' right down to simple phrases such as 'Movies' by many Irish people. Even word filler's such as 'like' have long been borrowed from America. To the extent that among Irish youth it became the norm.

Is just symptomatic of how American culture is slowly enveloping Irish culture. And Irish culture gets taken over by the latest American fad, pushed by many in the media and social media. In five years time it will be something else that is the latest fad.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

How has it caused division?

Was there not always much division in American society?

You are pretending there is consistency and equivalence among various groups and that any group can organise anything. There isn't the same equality. Consider how the media would cover a hypothetical "White Pride" parade? Racist, white supremacist, yada yada yada would be the terms used to describe it. It would probably be banned under "public safety" fears.

Depends on your laws. And your goals. And whether the public agrees you have standing on either.

Clearly, white groups CAN do these things, the reasons why they don't seems clear though, aside from the lack of being oppressed, what they do in these rallies is often push an agenda to be the oppressor.

In the past, Democrats and Republicans would co-operate much more. There are voting records of Congress that prove that they would often support each other's proposals. Nowadays everything is hyper partisan, and everything is challenged and fought over to a degree unheard of previously. I would admit Trump did make things worse in this regard by refusing to accept that he lost. But on the other hand the Dems did something similar with all that Russia nonsense, albeit Clinton did concede defeat officially on the night.

In the past, Democrats and Republicans would co-operate much more. There are voting records of Congress that prove that they would often support each other's proposals.

Bit outdated of a take now

Even the insulin price cap had 7 GOP Senators on it - not enough to stop the block, but still some bipartisanship there too. Also the vote on the Infrastructure Reinvestment and Jobs Act was 69-30 in a 48-50-2 split Senate.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, these extremists share VERY similar philosophies to the likes of Muhammad Ali who is considered a saint by many.

And considered an extremist by others - by the same people who think the people in my above post are great neighbors and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Not as much as there's now.

I think music art and anything else creative creates a bond.

You had the disco scene in the 70's very inclusive.

People were brought together through dance, music and creativity. You had the Break Dance scene in the State's that was very inclusive during the early to mid 80's

I remember the Rave's during the late 80's and 90's there was no division everyone just together and enjoying the atmosphere.

Then came along the generation in the late 90's that was jilted by criminal justice bills etc

Since the 90's there hasn't been a music revolution since.

Pretty bland at the moment, I'm an old fart anyhow what do I know,it's only an opinion 😂👍

I don't know USA having never lived there. But Ireland is certainly not more divisive than in the past maybe it seems like if you weren't one of the oppressed in Ireland but I certainly couldn't look back on the eighties 90s and noughties and say there was less division than now.

Less media in your face all the time talking up the division but I don't think society was better or fairer in Ireland at any time than now. Not that everything is perfect but I don't think we have been better in the past.

You're right I was brought up fairly comfortably, dad had a senior position in the civil service etc and I grew up in Shannon, it was a new town, then I bought some land and a house in a rural part of Clare in my mid twenties.

Shannon was very diverse probably more diverse than a lot of the cities. As we had nationalities from all over the world working in the industrial estate and airline pilots and air stewars from every continent would be around. Some lived there and the kids mixed. We had a lot families from Libya and Chile too . So I ll take that into consideration. Thanks for bringing that up. As I tend to forget those things 👍

That's an ideal type of diversity, where everyone shares similar experiences (the airport), has similar goals and a comes from similar educated backgrounds.

Unfortunately that type of diversity is very rare. The far more typical type of diversity is what exists in cities like London, Brussels or Paris. Enclaves. Millions of identities with very little in common among some groups.

Are you saying a white pride parade isn't racist?

As for the rest, there's an element of truth there.. would Black history month cover the centuries of slavery (of each other) that they (African tribes) engaged in prior to the arrival of Europeans in Africa? I doubt it. Would it consider the violence that exists today in many African nations based along tribal lines, and the superstition that exists with the roles of witchdoctors, with the impact they have on people.. including the aspect of FGM and other barbaric practices. Or that such people that believe in these things will magically lose those beliefs because they've arrived in Ireland, even though they have been told that they have a right to retain those beliefs due to multiculturalists such as yourself. Nah, much better to have a month each year elevating Black history to sainthood, lauding everything positive about them, and ignoring anything that might be negative.

I would argue that holding the belief that black people are inherently violent and misogynistic and that their culture is one of drugs and violence is a racist one. So in my opinion anyone who thinks such and speaks about such would be a racist.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mindless bickering posts deleted

Any more and sanctions, including threadbans, will follow

• Advertisement

It was a unique Town indeed. As we had a lot of Russians as well due to Aeroflot flying in and out during the 80's you'd see them waiting at the bus stop for Limerick as they would be going in buying denims and trainer's. They didn't have much denims back in those days in Russia. The Lybians came in during the Lybian war. They were sound, great football players they'd be out in the green with us playing football. We were young and we didn't see nationality or race we just seen them as people who wanted to join us for a kick around. The lybians were quick on their feet. Always running ring's around us lol

A lot of our friends dad's and mums worked in Aer Lingus had access to reduced tickets and got them ghetto blasters, breakdance tape's cool clothes, baseball caps Nike. We'd have access to video tapes like ET, The Goonies, Rambo etc

We were a cool town, even the schools were progressive. In my class in primary school there was a lot of different nationalities, that's why I never understood this claptrap about catholic schools being inclusive to Catholics only. You'd see debate's online here about catholic schools ,we had sikks, Muslims, Jehovah witnesses, non believers , Catholics protestants etc all in the one classroom. We were all one, the Chileans came over due to some political thing going on during the 80's there was quite a few Chileans in the school.

Then you had basically people coming down from the north getting away from the troubles, Limerick city people nicknamed Shannon little Belfast. Because on the way into Shannon most of the houses there lived people from Northern Ireland, and if you went to the Shannon Knights bar all you'd hear was northern accents. Great people, we had diversity before there was diversity anywhere else. That's how I was brought up, and that's why I cannot understand the far left and all this woke shite, a lot of white people calling people racists. We didn't know what racist was, I think there was a TV show Roots it was called. It was absolutely shocking I couldn't believe that happened. Because my friend was African, and I was thinking to myself he's so lucky that it's all changed now.

In secondary School we had no geography or history back then, there was a curriculum called social and environmental study program. SESP it was called it was well ahead of it's time. We did a lot of practicals and learned about the topography of the land, maps and different roads and how canals and power stations were created. As for history they thought us about the different revolutions I found the industrial revolution quite interesting. Because we had a lot of industry in Shannon.

As for the social side of SESP we learned about different culture's, politics and inclusivity. We were just ahead of our time. None of us knew about biggotory , because we were all different.

So we knew FCK all about identity politics, because it didn't matter we were I suppose neither left leaning or right just educated on the important things. And it's mostly white people who are into identity politics and they're using other cultures and races to virtue signal their own lack of acceptance. Stirring up sh1t all over the internet.

Advertisement